F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this car play kit legit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 12:09 AM
Received 178 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Is this car play kit legit?

https://unique-ad.co.uk/product/wireless-apple-carplay-and-android-auto-interface-for-jaguar-f-type-2015-2018/

Have anyone tried this?

Old 10-14-2020, 01:09 AM
Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

Yes. If you do a search it’s mentioned in at least two lengthy threads, one about android auto and one about CarPlay. I think the title is something like “definitive android retrofit” or something like that.

I, and a few other members, have it installed.

Old 10-14-2020, 01:32 AM

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-210198/page7/

If you are referring to this thread, i have read it before and the only thing i got out of it was not to trust those AliExpress units.

I reread it and do see uad mentioned at the end, do you know if it is the same as those AliExpress units, or are they different (better, stable?)?

Old 10-14-2020, 01:43 AM

I found one of the threads. Start reading from here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...2/#post2208296

Definitely not the same unit. The UAD solution is the only viable one in my opinion.

Old 10-14-2020, 03:36 AM
Received 297 Likes on 165 Posts

I fitted a UAD unit after watching this video.
It’s brilliant, never thought I’d want the wireless bit of CarPlay but it’s uncanny the way it automatically connects to my phone the moment I unlock the car.
Also the original Jag screen is still active if you want to use it.
Minor downsides... forward back audio tracks not available on steering wheel and you have to select factory screen for reverse camera. However it is possible to get the reverse camera to talk to the UAD unit if you are savvy with the wiring.
They supply a mic which I have put just by the cup holders. No need to run the wire all over the car.
All in all well worth installing.

Last edited by malbec; 10-14-2020 at 03:46 AM.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:12 AM

FYI, in my install, the factory reverse camera just worked (after I made sure the dip switches were set correctly, which they were out of the box). The behavior is exactly the same as before.

Also worth noting is that there have been two updates to the UAD firmware in the time I've owned it, one addressing a text message bug and another which has improved reliability of the wireless connection. I have applied and benefited from both.

The only complaint I have is the steering wheel forward and back buttons don't work. I either reach out to the on screen controls or use Hey Siri to skip tracks. There is a "workaround" that I describe in the thread I linked, but it's not a good one.

Old 10-14-2020, 11:31 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I recently purchased and installed the system it was real easy. I have a MY 17 and the unit was installed behind the monitor. Watched several videos on YouTube on how to install it. In the video made by Unquie they remove the bezel around the screen first I recommend removing the climate control first then the bezel around the monitor, much easier in my opinion. Other recommendations is to purchase a more discreet microphone. The one they include is too bulky. I got one from Amazon that was flat and was able to stick it the trim piece above the monitor and to the side so no cord shows. Finally I ran the usb cord into the center bin. Unquie recommended prying the bin side in and passing the cord. I think in time that will pinch and damage the cord so I drilled a small notch inside the bin that take the stress riser off the cords.

Old 10-14-2020, 01:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one of the UAD units from my 2017 SVR that I am longer using. DM me if interested.

Old 10-16-2020, 11:50 AM
Received 395 Likes on 177 Posts

Have this solution and it is awesome and works very well.

Old 10-16-2020, 02:42 PM
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BenFT
The one they include is too bulky. I got one from Amazon that was flat and was able to stick it the trim piece above the monitor and to the side so no cord shows. Finally I ran the usb cord into the center bin. Unquie recommended prying the bin side in and passing the cord. I think in time that will pinch and damage the cord so I drilled a small notch inside the bin that take the stress riser off the cords.
Can you direct me to this more discreet microphone you mentioned? Thanks.

Old 10-16-2020, 03:03 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MK18
Can you direct me to this more discreet microphone you mentioned? Thanks.
‘This is the link to the one I chose to use
Amazon Amazon

I will take a picture of how I mounted it when my car gets back from the dealership. Had a thumping sound coming from the rear that sounded like a bass drum on turning and it turned out to be my rear differential. Should get it back early next week and I will post the picture.

The following users liked this post:
MK18 (10-16-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 03:17 PM
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BenFT
‘This is the link to the one I chose to use
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RWK6MMM..._rRFIFbBDKCFJV

I will take a picture of how I mounted it when my car gets back from the dealership. Had a thumping sound coming from the rear that sounded like a bass drum on turning and it turned out to be my rear differential. Should get it back early next week and I will post the picture.
Thanks! Will be following your advice.

Old 10-16-2020, 03:28 PM
ORG
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzzysquid

The only complaint I have is the steering wheel forward and back buttons don't work. I either reach out to the on screen controls or use Hey Siri to skip tracks. There is a "workaround" that I describe in the thread I linked, but it's not a good one.
If you have an apple watch, mine defaults to showing the back/play/pause/forward screen when music is playing while driving. I simply reach over to my left wrist with hand on the wheel to change songs. I love the UAD system, and think its definitely worth the premium.

Old 10-16-2020, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by ORG
If you have an apple watch, mine defaults to showing the back/play/pause/forward screen when music is playing while driving. I simply reach over to my left wrist with hand on the wheel to change songs. I love the UAD system, and think its definitely worth the premium.
Thanks, I have been on the fence about getting an Apple Watch so this is good to know.

Old 10-16-2020, 04:52 PM

Here’s how I’ve mounted the mic that came with the kit:

Maybe my mic is a different model but I haven’t found it very obtrusive. Actually, is pretty hard to notice in normal light, you really need the flash to see it as it blends with the black interior.

I didn’t use any adhesive btw, it just sits there. There’s no exposed cabling.

The following users liked this post:
MK18 (10-16-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 04:59 PM
ORG
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Thanks, I have been on the fence about getting an Apple Watch so this is good to know.
what kind of fellow forum member would I be if I didn't encourage others to spend more money???

Old 10-16-2020, 07:08 PM

good info here, thanks for chimming in, just want to make sure it works with 2015 right? most of you seem to have 2016

Old 10-16-2020, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Ray
good info here, thanks for chimming in, just want to make sure it works with 2015 right? most of you seem to have 2016

Should do, but that’s really a question for UAD. You need to provide them with a VIN before ordering as there are multiple manufacturers of the infotainment system and it doesn’t cleanly map to model years. They’ll get you the right unit for your car.

Old 10-17-2020, 10:11 AM

Should do, but that’s really a question for UAD. You need to provide them with a VIN before ordering as there are multiple manufacturers of the infotainment system and it doesn’t cleanly map to model years. They’ll get you the right unit for your car.
will do and report back

Old 11-14-2020, 12:04 AM

Anyone got a better manual or a very detailed installation video? I just finished disassembling everything, all went well except dropped a screw into the center console, made a scratch while prying open the footwell trim piece, and dropped the antenna into the side of the seat.

The included manual is so vague and is for LHD cars, it says pry open the passenger side trim piece, im assuming it is the driver side for RHD cars?

Where exactly do you place the UAD unit? I can't seem to fit the GPS unit back after placing the UAD unit below it, also which wires needs to be connected to the UAD unit before stuffing it inside? Which wires goes back to the screen and which wires goes to the UAD unit?

Do you still need the USB dongle if you plan to use wireless function only?

None of these are mentioned in the manual ;< please help, I really want to finish it myself instead of taking it to a professional.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Is this car play kit legit?