Sponsored by:

Is this car play kit legit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 04:19 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by ld111134
A Jaguar dealer told me that Apple CarPlay can be added to the OEM infotainment system of an F-Type (at least the 2018 models) by a simple dealership performed by the dealer for U.S. $300. I don’t know if this works for other model years.

I just purchased a 2019 F-Type R with Apple CarPlay compatibility.
AIUI, the update only works for MY18s with the larger screen without the physical buttons. Mine was updated at no charge but as I have the physical buttoned screen it looks as if it might work, but actually doesn't. I'm not an Apple fanboy so I only have Android Auto to go on, and that also doesn't work.

Old 01-05-2021, 12:26 PM
Received 25 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
AIUI, the update only works for MY18s with the larger screen without the physical buttons. Mine was updated at no charge but as I have the physical buttoned screen it looks as if it might work, but actually doesn't. I'm not an Apple fanboy so I only have Android Auto to go on, and that also doesn't work.
At this point, my inquiry is moot because I bought a MY2019 with OEM Apple CarPlay capability. I assume that your car is pre-MY2018 and thus the CarPlay software is inoperable for you.

I asked Unique Auto about the advantage of their unit vis à vis the Jaguar download and they told me that their product uses a Bluetooth connection while the Jaguar software download is “wired” (which, I assume, means that you have to connect your iPhone or Android device to the car’s OEM infotainment system using a physical cable in order for the Jaguar download to function; I don’t know how much of a pain it is to use a cable connection rather than a Bluetooth connection ).

Old 01-05-2021, 12:35 PM
scm
Veteran Member

At this point, my inquiry is moot because I bought a MY2019 with OEM Apple CarPlay capability. I assume that your car is pre-MY2018 and thus the CarPlay software is inoperable for you.
Don't assume - mine's an early MY18. MY18s came with either type of screen (presumably depending on build date), and Jaguar wasn't fussy about whom they offered the software update to .....

It doesn't bother me as I'm not an Apple fanboy and am quite happy with the in-car stuff as supplied. The satnav has always taken me to where I want to go, so I have no urge to update or replace it. And I much prefer the physical buttons, which I can operate without being distracted from the road ahead - touch screens are clearly intended to make driving more hazardous ...

Old 01-05-2021, 12:40 PM
Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

For posterity, since this information is scattered across several threads at this point. Here's what I know about the OEM CarPlay update.
  • If you can get OEM CarPlay functionality, that is the most desirable solution, full stop. Everything will work, as it should; this is NOT the case for any aftermarket solution. Wireless carplay is not a good reason to go aftermarket.
  • The OEM software update to enable CarPlay, as performed by the dealer, was announced sometime in 2019(?), and several owners got letters notifying of eligibility. It was very unclear which infotainment models this would work on; I don't think ANY member here has successfully received CarPlay as as update, even those who specifically received letters—they were sent too indiscriminately, I think.
  • Cost was left up to the dealer, who could elect to do it as a complementary good will service. Though again, I personally haven't heard of anyone actually getting it.

Old 01-05-2021, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by scm
Don't assume - mine's an early MY18. MY18s came with either type of screen (presumably depending on build date), and Jaguar wasn't fussy about whom they offered the software update to .....
Apologies for making an assumption! 😉

The following users liked this post:
scm (01-05-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by fuzzysquid
  • Cost was left up to the dealer, who could elect to do it as a complementary good will service. Though again, I personally haven't heard of anyone actually getting it.
Perhaps they don’t charge customers to whom they sold the vehicles but charge customers who purchased their vehicles elsewhere.

Old 01-05-2021, 02:22 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by fuzzysquid
  • The OEM software update to enable CarPlay, as performed by the dealer, was announced sometime in 2019(?), and several owners got letters notifying of eligibility. It was very unclear which infotainment models this would work on; I don't think ANY member here has successfully received CarPlay as as update, even those who specifically received letters—they were sent too indiscriminately, I think.
In the UK the update was complimentary, so I assume Jaguar refunds the dealers - I can't imagine UK dealers doing anything at their own expense!

Regarding the update being successful, in my case with the 8" screen with physical buttons, the update was "successful" insofar as I now have menu entries for Android and Apple, but the Android doesn't seem to do much. I can't test the Apple side of things.

Old 01-05-2021, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by scm
In the UK the update was complimentary, so I assume Jaguar refunds the dealers - I can't imagine UK dealers doing anything at their own expense!

Regarding the update being successful, in my case with the 8" screen with physical buttons, the update was "successful" insofar as I now have menu entries for Android and Apple, but the Android doesn't seem to do much. I can't test the Apple side of things.
Can you make and receive phone calls using the touch screen?

Old 01-05-2021, 03:28 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Can you make and receive phone calls using the touch screen?
Er, I've only ever had one call since I've had the car, and that was just after I'd paired my phone during the initial handover while I was sitting in it at the dealer! I used the steering wheel button to pick up. I never make calls while I'm driving (or any other time, really - I'm an email kinda guy).

Guess I'm not your typical CarPlay/Auto user!

Oh, I did receive a text after I'd had the update, and the car read it out to me (it asked first if it should)!

Old 01-05-2021, 03:45 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

I had ‘the smartphone pack’ (something like that) installed on my 2018 XE with InControl Touch Pro (bigger screen, no buttons). Dealer elected not to charge me. Gave me wired CarPlay (not wireless) and some other functionality. I’m happy with it. The CarPlay interface for playing music off the phone is better than navigating ICTPs menus. Reading/dictating texts is nice.

Old 01-05-2021, 08:26 PM
Received 465 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
I have an early build MY18 (March '17) with the 8" screen and the physical buttons. I received the letter as being eligible for the upgrade, my VIN falls within the upgrade "range", and I have the SIM card port in the armrest as well (with an active SIM). After reading about this online in this forum, when I was last at the dealer I showed them the letter and asked about the possibility for the update and they confirmed it can't be done with the 8" screen with the physical buttons. A few months later, the car notified me of a software update, which I did OTA, and after it installed I now also have the Apple CarPlay/Android Auto soft buttons on the main menu screen but it does not work. This just confirms my conclusion that regardless of the software version you have on your InTouch, it will not work with the 8" screen with the hard buttons.

Old 01-09-2021, 10:17 PM
Received 178 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Ray
I broke these connections during reinstallation.. They have gave me a hard time last time also. I broke them out completely (with the base) this time.

They still snap back but come out way too easily. I have also fixed the color orientation. Everything seems to still work though??????

Anyone know what they do?
answering my own question if anyone is interested, these are your reverse camera input.

i thought they weren’t used so i went ahead and tapped them down to prevent rattle, and then reverse camera wouldn’t work. I then applied 3m tapes to the base and reconnected them, all is fine now.

Hopefully this is the last time I’m opening up the console, now if only i could get the mic to perform better..

Old 02-13-2021, 04:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with UAD CarPlay

I've read this thread with interest as I have purchased a UAD (WIRELESS APPLE CARPLAY ANDROID AUTO INTERFACE FOR JAGUAR XE XF F-PACE 2015-2018] from a friend who sold his XE.

I've installed it but don't appear to be having much success.

There is no display activity at all although that said, occasionally the Jaguar logo does appear.

The UAD CarPlay unit has power and as I can see blue light activity on it and it allows me to select the UAD device as a CarPlay unit on my iPhone. However I do not see the UAD as a Bluetooth device.

I've removed and reinstalled the unit on more than one occasion and I am sure that the settings are right (well, as sure as I can be)

On one occasion I briefly saw the display activate and show the normal Jaguar interface display.

Pressing the radio mute / volume / on off button makes no difference.

Dip switches are set correctly.

Any ideas - thanks.
All in all, I am confused.

Old 02-15-2021, 09:36 AM
Received 178 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by MBYREW
I've read this thread with interest as I have purchased a UAD (WIRELESS APPLE CARPLAY ANDROID AUTO INTERFACE FOR JAGUAR XE XF F-PACE 2015-2018] from a friend who sold his XE.

I've installed it but don't appear to be having much success.

There is no display activity at all although that said, occasionally the Jaguar logo does appear.

The UAD CarPlay unit has power and as I can see blue light activity on it and it allows me to select the UAD device as a CarPlay unit on my iPhone. However I do not see the UAD as a Bluetooth device.

I've removed and reinstalled the unit on more than one occasion and I am sure that the settings are right (well, as sure as I can be)

On one occasion I briefly saw the display activate and show the normal Jaguar interface display.

Pressing the radio mute / volume / on off button makes no difference.

Dip switches are set correctly.

Any ideas - thanks.
All in all, I am confused.
If by no screen activity, you mean the screen doesn't show anything, including factory stuff, then something is wrong, most likely a wrong or missing connection.

If factory stuff is working fine, and assuming everything is in working order and installation was correct, the first time setup takes a bit longer than oem systems. IIRC you should not connect to the UAD bluetooth manually, all you do is plug in your iphone with wifi and bt on, to the cable, and set it up from there.

Old 02-15-2021, 10:10 AM
Received 297 Likes on 165 Posts

Probably because it’s not for the F type.
Normal method when buying new is to send them your VIN plus photo of screen.
https://unique-ad.co.uk/product/wire...ype-2013-2015/
The used unit is perhaps different.

Old 02-15-2021, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Ray
If by no screen activity, you mean the screen doesn't show anything, including factory stuff, then something is wrong, most likely a wrong or missing connection.

If factory stuff is working fine, and assuming everything is in working order and installation was correct, the first time setup takes a bit longer than oem systems. IIRC you should not connect to the UAD bluetooth manually, all you do is plug in your iphone with wifi and bt on, to the cable, and set it up from there.
After reading other posts in this forum I came across one that referenced an older media unit and the need to apply dip switch 2. I tried this on mine and after a hard power reset it came to life #result Dip switch positions now 1,2-7 OFF | 2 & 8 ON.

Old 02-15-2021, 10:54 PM
Received 170 Likes on 106 Posts

Are you pressing the "navigation " button ??? either the real plastic button or the soft inscreen navigation button which will then bring up homepage for the unit
The unit intercepts and inserts itself infront of the oem navigation module which then becomes obselete. The factory headunit still thinks it is defaulting to nav option. Nothing else is touched so radio,settings,sound etc should be as before
If you select navigation it should take you to the unit. If it takes you to your original navigation screen you have miswired somehow but would be hard to impossible to do given the harness is pretty childproof,unless the f-pace harness is slightly different
If the unit is the wrong version for your car or the harness is incorrect you should still get a blank screen when selecting nav.
I don't understand what
"There is no display activity at all although that said, occasionally the Jaguar logo does appear." means

are you suggesting you are not actually getting anything on the display at all. or only nothing displayed after selecting the nav option ??

As said before the unit doesn't affect the rest of the factory headunit function at all so everything other than nav function should all still be there and working.
If it is not then you simply have not plugged the connector in firmly enough or the harness is incompatible.

Old 02-16-2021, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Borbor
Are you pressing the "navigation " button ??? either the real plastic button or the soft inscreen navigation button which will then bring up homepage for the unit
The unit intercepts and inserts itself infront of the oem navigation module which then becomes obselete. The factory headunit still thinks it is defaulting to nav option. Nothing else is touched so radio,settings,sound etc should be as before
If you select navigation it should take you to the unit. If it takes you to your original navigation screen you have miswired somehow but would be hard to impossible to do given the harness is pretty childproof,unless the f-pace harness is slightly different
If the unit is the wrong version for your car or the harness is incorrect you should still get a blank screen when selecting nav.
I don't understand what
"There is no display activity at all although that said, occasionally the Jaguar logo does appear." means

are you suggesting you are not actually getting anything on the display at all. or only nothing displayed after selecting the nav option ??

As said before the unit doesn't affect the rest of the factory headunit function at all so everything other than nav function should all still be there and working.
If it is not then you simply have not plugged the connector in firmly enough or the harness is incompatible.
Hi, thanks for the comprehensive reply. The unit is working fine now. The issue was resolved by applying a different dip switch setting. 2 & 8 on. Others off.

Old 03-01-2021, 12:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Damon Parker
I have one of the UAD units from my 2017 SVR that I am longer using. DM me if interested.
Damon, for some reason I don’t have permission to DM (bc I’m a brand new member?). Do you still have this unit? Why aren’t you using it anymore?

Old 03-01-2021, 12:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quick Reply: Is this car play kit legit?