F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car rolled away when in park

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 06:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car rolled away when in park

I have a F Type V8 S. The car was parked in the garage, and rolled away to the end of my drive. Nobody was around the car, and the key fob was in the house when this happened. The car has been at the dealer for a few weeks now with no resolution. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Old 10-01-2013, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,413 Likes on 755 Posts

Was the e-brake on? I suspect preemptive failure of the little pin in the transmission that is called "Park". I don't find it advisable to ever park a car without using the parking brake. It's a tiny pin in the transmission that holds the sprockets and gears in place preventing the car from moving. It's not strong enough to hold a car's weight in place indefinitely.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

The tiny pin should be plenty to hold it in park on a flat surface. Using my big toe as a chock would be enough to hold it on a flat surface!

Old 10-01-2013, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,413 Likes on 755 Posts

I still don't trust the tiny pin. On a flat surface tho... Are you sure the car was in park?

Old 10-02-2013, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
I still don't trust the tiny pin. On a flat surface tho... Are you sure the car was in park?
The car goes into park as soon as the electronic ignition is shut off. According to jaguar, all your suppose to do is power off. I've done that for the first two month I owned the car with no problem. Then one day it simply rolled away.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
Was the e-brake on? I suspect preemptive failure of the little pin in the transmission that is called "Park". I don't find it advisable to ever park a car without using the parking brake. It's a tiny pin in the transmission that holds the sprockets and gears in place preventing the car from moving. It's not strong enough to hold a car's weight in place indefinitely.
The e brake was not on. I've never used it, and not suppose to be necessary. Obviously I may have to in the future , but it shouldn't need to be applied when parking on a flat surface.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:07 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Have to agree with that, it may be good practice to apply the brake but out of the millions of cars in he US how many people apply the parking brake?

Old 10-02-2013, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

You are actually not supposed to Switch Off the ignition while the car is in drive. It never engaged park position, that's why that happened.
It's more of convenient feature, if you forget to switch it to park before turning off the ignition, it will go into park automatically.

Directly from the handbook:

SWITCHING OFF THE ENGINE
With the gear selector in position P, press the engine START/STOP button.

Before exiting the vehicle, always ensure that the gear selector is in the Park (P) position, the engine is turned off, the parking brake is applied and the Smart Key is removed from the vehicle.Park (P) should be engaged and the parking brake applied when the vehicle is stationary. The vehicle can move unexpectedly with any other gear position selected, which could result in death or serious injury.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:09 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

The neat thing about how Jaaaag is doing parking brakes is that you can power off the car and pull up on the little ebrake switch. When turning it back on, as soon as you put the car into a gear, it takes the ebrake off for you. Not that this explains your mysteriously walking cat, but it may provide additional piece of mind. I'm one of those weirdos that actually use the ebrake. On all of my cars be it manual or automatic.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

ok i need to confess, ive been secretly driving the car around when you're not home and failing to put the car back in its exact location

Old 10-02-2013, 09:45 PM

[QUOTE=Executive;825204]You are actually not supposed to Switch Off the ignition while the car is in drive. It never engaged park position, that's why that happened.
It's more of convenient feature, if you forget to switch it to park before turning off the ignition, it will go into park automatically.

SWITCHING OFF THE ENGINE

Before exiting the vehicle, always ensure that the gear selector is in the Park (P) position, the engine is turned off, the parking brake is applied and the Smart Key is removed from the vehicle.[FONT=sans-serif][FONT=sans-serif]Park (P) should be engaged and the parking brake applied when the vehicle is stationary. The vehicle can move unexpectedly with any other gear position selected, which could result death
Thanks, I totally understand however the dealer explained that it is not necessary to apply the e brake. I have always used a parking brake when driving a typical manual car. Jaguar cars are suppose to engage into park while just simply stopping and turning the power off. As I said I fix this, and found my car at the end of the drive. I will be using the e brake in the future . Thanks again for your advise.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Not a problem. You don't have to engage E brake, but I would try to put the car in Park, before turning off.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:20 AM

[QUOTE=Davidfarber100;826135]
Originally Posted by Executive
You are actually not supposed to Switch Off the ignition while the car is in drive. It never engaged park position, that's why that happened.

SWITCHING OFF THE ENGINE

Before exiting the vehicle, always ensure that the gear selector is in the Park (P) position, the engine is turned off, the parking brake is applied and the Smart Key is removed from the vehicle.[FONT=sans-serif][FONT=sans-serif]Park (P) should be engaged and the parking brake applied when the vehicle is stationary. The vehicle can move unexpectedly with any other gear position selected, which could result death
Thanks, I totally understand however the dealer explained that it is not necessary to apply the e brake. I have always used a parking brake when driving a typical manual car. Jaguar cars are suppose to engage into park while just simply stopping and turning the power off. As I said I fix this, and found my car at the end of the drive. I will be using the e brake in the future . Thanks again for your advise.
The problem is I have always pug the car in park before turning the power off. I do admit I may not have followed that sequence that time . I would hate to think I power off first, then the car does it again. That's why the system was designed the way it was. I think the e brake is gonna be a must . Thanks

Old 10-03-2013, 04:47 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I maybe wrong, but I think I read that if you turn the car off in any other gear other than park, the car will shift into park AFTER 10 minutes. This is done so you can move the car if it needs to be towed or moved by hand. NOTE: It will shift into N when you **** it off not Park

Old 10-04-2013, 08:48 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

That's only if the car is switched off while in 'N'. It will switch to 'P' after 10 minutes.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by NaplesTopLess
I maybe wrong, but I think I read that if you turn the car off in any other gear other than park, the car will shift into park AFTER 10 minutes. This is done so you can move the car if it needs to be towed or moved by hand. NOTE: It will shift into N when you **** it off not Park
I'm not sure about the ten minute thing. The car goes into park immediate when shut off.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:38 PM
Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Davidfarber100
I'm not sure about the ten minute thing. The car goes into park immediate when shut off.
From the US manual page 73. After reading this thread I now make sure to use the parking brake all the time when parked now.
Are you sure that you didn't bump the gear selector into neutral by accident and then shut the car off? It wouldn't be hard to do.

"Note: If the engine is switched off with
Neutral (N) selected, the system will wait
for 10 minutes before selecting P. This
procedure is to allow the vehicle to be
conveyed through a car wash only and
should not be used for vehicle recovery
purposes. See 182, TRANSPORTING THE
VEHICLE."

Last edited by WayneB; 10-05-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Davidfarber100
The car goes into park as soon as the electronic ignition is shut off. According to jaguar, all your suppose to do is power off. I've done that for the first two month I owned the car with no problem. Then one day it simply rolled away.

There's a million "How to" videos on the jaguarUSA website under the "owners" heading. I have watched nearly all of them and I seem to recall one of them saying that the car automatically goes into Park if the ignition is turned off (when the car is not moving). Nevertheless, using the parking brake is worth the effort since the automatic disengage feature makes it very user friendly, and it will keep the cat in its cage and out of your neighbor's front yard.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:38 AM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

Fascinating subject...........but here's the 64 million $ question: what holds the e brake
on after you leave? on my XK I can feel it come on thru the brake pedal; it goes down just a tad, must be a hydraulic lock but does it increase the battery drain? If so that's all we need!
My garage floor is level so I don't need to use the e brake...............

Just wondering, (being a retired engineer I like to wonder a lot! my wife hates it!)
Cheers, Adrian