F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car shutting off.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 08:09 AM
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Car shutting off.

We have some busy intersections where I live where you can wait 3 or 4 minutes at a light. A couple of times while waiting the car seemed to shut off and I had to manually start the car while waiting at the light. This happened while using auto stop/start. I was looking through the manual wondering if this could be some type of built in feature. Anyone experience this?

Old 02-18-2020, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

IIRC, if the ECO mode is enabled, it will completely shut off the car if it's stopped for a long period of time. I don't know what the length of that period of time is as I rarely keep ECO mode enabled but I believe that's what you are experiencing.

The following users liked this post:
pjazz (02-18-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 08:46 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by pjazz
We have some busy intersections where I live where you can wait 3 or 4 minutes at a light. A couple of times while waiting the car seemed to shut off and I had to manually start the car while waiting at the light. This happened while using auto stop/start.
That's what auto stop/start does! When you come to a complete stop with your foot on the brake pedal the engine will stop. When you lift your foot off the brake pedal it'll restart, no need to manually start the car unless there's a fault somewhere.

Old 02-18-2020, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member

One thing I should have asked, are you keeping the car in gear with your foot on the brake during these long waiting sessions?

Old 02-18-2020, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

If Eco Start was working properly, why would the OP need to MANUALLY re-start the engine? THAT is the Question....
It SHOULD automatically restart when the brake pedal is released.

Old 02-18-2020, 09:35 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Maybe he isn't releasing the brake pedal. I'd suggest using the EPB.

Old 02-18-2020, 12:01 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

This raises a good point applicable to most supercars (there, I said it). With a low charge state from short trips, an aging battery, or the car sitting, auto start/stop turning the car off in an intersection is a pretty bad idea. Jag should let us officially disable it for safety reasons.

Last edited by RacerX; 02-18-2020 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:04 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RacerX
This raises a good point applicable to most supercars (there, I said it). With a low charge state from short trips, an aging battery, or the car sitting, auto start/stop turning the car off in an intersection is a pretty bad idea.
I think the F-Type is clever enough to only use stop/start when there's adequate charge available.

The following 2 users liked this post by scm:
Arne (02-19-2020), Paul_59 (02-19-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 12:06 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
I think the F-Type is clever enough to only use stop/start when there's adequate charge available.
Good point scm, the question is does the car really understand its own battery issues?

Old 02-18-2020, 12:14 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RacerX
Good point scm, the question is does the car really understand its own battery issues?
Mine was clever enough to tell the InControl Center it had a flat battery. There are a number of conditions that apply to the working of the stop/start, including temp not being below 0C or above 40C, demand from climate control, engine below optimum temperature, and AT in manual mode.

I always disable the damn system anyway, so not an issue for me.

Old 02-18-2020, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scm
Mine restarts automatically (without lifting the brake pedal) if it's been sitting too long at a light the few times I've used ECO mode. However, I've noticed it will automatically shut off with ECO mode on if I go into my garage and sit for a minute without shutting the car off (i.e. putting something away inside the car before shutting it off). I never paid attention to the actions I did to make this happen which is why I asked the OP if they are keeping the car in "Drive" while sitting at the light as I suspect it might do something if you move it out of a drive gear.

Arne (02-19-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 12:52 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mahjik
However, I've noticed it will automatically shut off with ECO mode on if I go into my garage and sit for a minute without shutting the car off (i.e. putting something away inside the car before shutting it off).
It'll switch off the ignition if you unbuckle the driver's seat belt and release the brake pedal in D, S or N, while in P you just have to unbuckle.

Old 02-18-2020, 02:52 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
It'll switch off the ignition if you unbuckle the driver's seat belt and release the brake pedal in D, S or N, while in P you just have to unbuckle.
I learned that the first week of ownership, with my dad as passenger. Top down, took my jacket off at a light, and then couldn’t figure out why the car wouldn’t go.

An ECO mode shutdown also leaves the roof unpowered, and then requires starting the engine to move the roof, not just turning on the ignition. (For example, you come to a stop, ECO shuts off the engine, and you remove your seatbelt before turning the ignition off. ECO shuts off the ignition before you have a chance.)

One reason I use dynamic 99% of the time.

Old 02-18-2020, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
I learned that the first week of ownership, with my dad as passenger. Top down, took my jacket off at a light, and then couldn’t figure out why the car wouldn’t go.

An ECO mode shutdown also leaves the roof unpowered, and then requires starting the engine to move the roof, not just turning on the ignition. (For example, you come to a stop, ECO shuts off the engine, and you remove your seatbelt before turning the ignition off. ECO shuts off the ignition before you have a chance.)

One reason I use dynamic 99% of the time.
Dynamic doesn't turn off Eco. That surprised the hell out of me.

Old 02-18-2020, 03:43 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by eeeeek
Dynamic doesn't turn off Eco. That surprised the hell out of me.
But manual mode does, maybe he's using the paddles as well.

Old 02-18-2020, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

Dynamic DOES disable ECO on older cars ('14 - '15s for sure).

Arne (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 08:47 AM

FYi I usually sit at the light with my foot on the pedal. The car shut off during the start stop mode radio and all. Wondering if its a better Idea to throw it in neutral or park.

Old 02-19-2020, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member

FYi I usually sit at the light with my foot on the pedal. The car shut off during the start stop mode radio and all. Wondering if its a better Idea to throw it in neutral or park.
So while you are sitting, if you are sitting too long the car doesn't automatically start back up again while you are still waiting? For example, if I have ECO mode on, if the car is sitting at the light too long the car will start up anyway without me lifting my foot off the brake (I'm assuming to make sure to keep the battery charging and not let fluids stop circulating for too long).

Old 02-19-2020, 08:59 AM
scm
Veteran Member

So you're sitting with your foot on the brake and the car shuts down. That's normal. When you lift your foot off the brake to go again the engine will restart. Have you tried that?

If you don't like that, try applying the EPB and taking your foot off the footbrake.

Last edited by scm; 02-19-2020 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Extra thoughts ....
Old 02-19-2020, 09:12 AM

I know how stop start works. I have it on multiple cars. Taking my foot off the brake does not bring the car back to life. I had to start it and put it back in gear.

Quick Reply: Car shutting off.