F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which car system do I have (Harman or Bosch)?, F-Type from 2017

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which car system do I have (Harman or Bosch)?, F-Type from 2017

I have got an Jaguar F-Type from 08/2017 (VIN K49570) with an 8’’ Touch Pro Infotainment System. Can anybody tell me what type of audio system is installed?

Initially, I thought it must be a Harman system and I ordered an Android retrofit unit from Merryway in order to use Apple Carplay. When I tried to connect the unit, I found out that my sound unit (installed in the rear center console) does not have a 40-pins-block-connector at its back. Does that means that I do not have a Harman system?

Many thanks in advance!

Jan

Old 05-07-2021, 11:10 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Do your speakers have name labels? Two of the audio systems fitted are Meridian 380W and 770W, I don't know who makes the lower spec audio systems.

Old 05-07-2021, 11:30 AM
Received 377 Likes on 174 Posts

It appears you have the Harman system as you have only one single BNC connector going to behind the screen.

The following users liked this post:
Jape (05-07-2021)
Old 05-07-2021, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by scm
Do your speakers have name labels? Two of the audio systems fitted are Meridian 380W and 770W, I don't know who makes the lower spec audio systems.
It should be Meridian 380W according to my car specs in the sales contract.

Old 05-07-2021, 11:35 AM

Sorry, it IS Merridian 380. There are Meridian labels on the speakers.

Old 05-08-2021, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

Yours is a 2018MY, and you have the IMC-based InControl Touch Pro system. You can look up the specs here: https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/user/login. Put in JCK49570 as the VIN and then click on 'All vehicle details' and then 'Minor features'.

You can't use an Android overlay - those are for the older Bosch IAM and Harman systems only. They don't make overlays for the IMC systems because you don't need them.

Instead you just install the OEM system. You replace the 8" display with the 10" display (and the brackets) and update your cars software configuration to tell it you have the larger screen installed. You can then enable Carplay.

I've not done the upgrade on an F-Type yet, but you can read about the process for the XJ with the identical system here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...pgrade-227763/

You can confirm it is an IMC by unbolting it from the bracket and on the opposite side there should be a label with H9A3-19C216-AA written on it (according to the as-built data, but it may have been replaced in service with a later revision)

A cursory pass through the EPC using LCK66913 as a reference (LHD, Jet interior, 10" ICTP system), gives these parts:

T2R38268 / KX53-047A04-AC, Outer screen bezel (the shiny black part you see)
T2R26653 / KX53-10F838-AA, Bracket cover (the inner bracket that the display attaches too)

On the XJ you need to replace the centre console reinforcement bracket to accommodate the large screen, but the F-Type is showing the same main facia assembly and the same reinforcement for both your car and LCK66913. That suggests that the bracket cover part above adapts the existing fascia mounts to accommodate the larger screen.

Obviously you'd also need the 10" screen as well, but those are all over eBay as they are shared amongst dozens of different JLR vehicles from 2016 to 2020. Any one marked 10 SV (single view) will work just fine.

The actual CCF bytes that you need to change to switch the display type will likely be in a different position, but have the same name (so you can use the guide above to search for them). You likely won't need to recode any of the hardware buttons as all of the ones on the F-Type are replaced with the soft buttons. The connector for the existing hardware buttons can hopefully just be taped out of the way.

Last edited by xdave; 05-08-2021 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Added part no
The following 4 users liked this post by xdave:
ChicMac (04-18-2024), DJS (05-08-2021), uncheel (11-16-2021), woohoo (07-17-2022)
Old 05-08-2021, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Wasn't a lower level system standard on British cars?

Old 05-09-2021, 06:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

This car was built for the German market and has the IMC system for the infotainment with InControl Pro services but less the remote start/stop which was not fitted to German cars for regulatory reasons. The amp fitted is EW93-19C164-AB which is the HIGH 12 (blue label) version. (The 12 indicates the number of amplifier channels.)

There are three levels of amp that could be fitted (the low level 4 channel amp was not fitted to the F-Type):
PREM 16 (yellow)
HIGH 12 (blue)
MID 8 (white)

The options for a 2018MY F-Type were:

Base - 180 watt with 6 speakers (MID 8 amp)
Meridian 380 - 380 watt with 10 speakers (HIGH 12 amp)
Meridian 770 - 770 watt with 12 speakers (PREM 16 amp)

As Jan has the HIGH 12 amp, their car had the Meridian 380 system when it left the factory.

That said, the sound system is entirely separate from the IMC which drives the display, and Jan just want's to use Carplay. There are two ways - use an aftermarket interface box to add Carplay (not the same as replacing with an Android overlay, which is unnecessary with an IMC system), or replace the screen with the 10" OEM fitted from 2019 and just update the IMC configuration to use the OEM integration. On the F-Type if the bracket, bezel and display are the only parts needed this can be done for about £250 as the displays are readily available used (plus the diagnostics labour to configure it, if it is not something you already have).

My only concern is whether the fascia 'Bracket cover' in my previous post is all that is needed to fit the large screen into the fascia. If it is that's fantastic as it makes the upgrade about as cheap and simple to do as is possible with the F-Type. According to the live EPC that is all that is needed, but the EPC can sometimes be wrong so it would need someone to try it out.

Last edited by xdave; 05-09-2021 at 06:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MajorTom (05-14-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 06:53 AM
Received 377 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by xdave
Yours is a 2018MY, and you have the IMC-based InControl Touch Pro system. You can look up the specs here: https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/user/login. Put in JCK49570 as the VIN and then click on 'All vehicle details' and then 'Minor features'.

You can't use an Android overlay - those are for the older Bosch IAM and Harman systems only. They don't make overlays for the IMC systems because you don't need them.

Instead you just install the OEM system. You replace the 8" display with the 10" display (and the brackets) and update your cars software configuration to tell it you have the larger screen installed. You can then enable Carplay.

I've not done the upgrade on an F-Type yet, but you can read about the process for the XJ with the identical system here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...pgrade-227763/

You can confirm it is an IMC by unbolting it from the bracket and on the opposite side there should be a label with H9A3-19C216-AA written on it (according to the as-built data, but it may have been replaced in service with a later revision)

A cursory pass through the EPC using LCK66913 as a reference (LHD, Jet interior, 10" ICTP system), gives these parts:

T2R26653 / KX53-10F838-AA, Bracket cover (the inner bracket that the display attaches too)

On the XJ you need to replace the centre console reinforcement bracket to accommodate the large screen, but the F-Type is showing the same main facia assembly and the same reinforcement for both your car and LCK66913. That suggests that the bracket cover part above adapts the existing fascia mounts to accommodate the larger screen.

Obviously you'd also need the 10" screen as well, but those are all over eBay as they are shared amongst dozens of different JLR vehicles from 2016 to 2020. Any one marked 10 SV (single view) will work just fine.

The actual CCF bytes that you need to change to switch the display type will likely be in a different position, but have the same name (so you can use the guide above to search for them). You likely won't need to recode any of the hardware buttons as all of the ones on the F-Type are replaced with the soft buttons. The connector for the existing hardware buttons can hopefully just be taped out of the way.
Learned some new stuff. Thanks for the share. Too many dang versions of the infotainment on these cars.

Old 05-13-2021, 05:39 PM
Received 57 Likes on 18 Posts

This car was built for the German market and has the IMC system for the infotainment with InControl Pro services but less the remote start/stop which was not fitted to German cars for regulatory reasons. The amp fitted is EW93-19C164-AB which is the HIGH 12 (blue label) version. (The 12 indicates the number of amplifier channels.)

There are three levels of amp that could be fitted (the low level 4 channel amp was not fitted to the F-Type):
PREM 16 (yellow)
HIGH 12 (blue)
MID 8 (white)

As Jan has the HIGH 12 amp, their car had the Meridian 380 system when it left the factory.

That said, the sound system is entirely separate from the IMC which drives the display, and Jan just want's to use Carplay. There are two ways - use an aftermarket interface box to add Carplay (not the same as replacing with an Android overlay, which is unnecessary with an IMC system), or replace the screen with the 10" OEM fitted from 2019 and just update the IMC configuration to use the OEM integration. On the F-Type if the bracket, bezel and display are the only parts needed this can be done for about £250 as the displays are readily available used (plus the diagnostics labour to configure it, if it is not something you already have).

My only concern is whether the fascia 'Bracket cover' in my previous post is all that is needed to fit the large screen into the fascia. If it is that's fantastic as it makes the upgrade about as cheap and simple to do as is possible with the F-Type. According to the live EPC that is all that is needed, but the EPC can sometimes be wrong so it would need someone to try it out.
Once I can decipher these threads to figure out what I need to try this, I'll let my '18 f-type be the guinea pig.

Old 05-14-2021, 09:22 AM
Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

PREM 16 (yellow)
HIGH 12 (blue)
MID 8 (white)

Thanks, some brilliant info there. My MY18 with exactly the same infotainment and audio system was also built for the German market and I was wondering why remote start isn't available (not that I would ever need or use it anyway).

Do you happen to know if the UniqueAudio kit works with this version of the infotainment?

Old 11-15-2021, 11:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and ??? did you manage to work it out??

Old 11-15-2021, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by airthirtytwo
Once I can decipher these threads to figure out what I need to try this, I'll let my '18 f-type be the guinea pig.
did you get it worked out ??

Old 11-16-2021, 05:18 PM

@xdave
Hi Dave,
I checked Jaguar for this part and this is what I found, a lot of Jaguar in the USA say they can't get it, plus this website link below says it is for a 2014, is this definitely the correct part number for the 10.25" screen? im a complete layman and over my head here so sorry if im being stupid...
https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic...268-bezel.html

Last edited by nw247; 11-16-2021 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-13-2022, 12:10 PM
Default Which system?

I'd like to install the Android auto, but how can I find out what system I have in mine? I went on TOPix but can't see any information there.
It's a 2017 model F-Type SVR Convertible, originally supplied in Germany, vin # K42200

Last edited by Klgsvr; 07-13-2022 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Vin
Old 05-02-2023, 02:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default 10” screen upgrade - FT compatible ?

PREM 16 (yellow)
HIGH 12 (blue)
MID 8 (white)

xdave, I read this thread with great interest as I also own a 2017 F-Type that I believe to be a MY2018 VIN JCK53529. The infotainment InControl Touch Pro system is the meridian surround I think 700w and currently has a 8” screen but no Apple CarPlay which is frustrating. I have looked into other third party options UAD IDCore and Retrofits but there are compromises to be made so having seen this thread I would love to know if an OEM route for my vehicle is possible. Are you able to advise ? Any assistance is most welcome so that I don’t go down the wrong pathway here in the UK.