Sponsored by:

Car wash

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 11:51 AM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

i've had good success with
Optimum Rinse Free Wash & Wax Optimum Rinse Free Wash & Wax
during the winter.

On niceish days where there is some sun and above freezing you can do the following:

1. Spray down with water
2. Foam gun and rinse with water

This will get the big bits of dirt and grime away.

3. Pull the car back in to the garage and finish up with with the Rinse free wash. Fill your bucket in the house with room temp water so that your hands don't freeze. Use a MF towel and fold into 1/4ths; change your leading edge as it gets dirty. Depending on the state of the car it could be one swipe.

4. Dry with Ammo Hydrate. This is the best product for drying your car.

If it's too cold outside you can skip steps 1-2, just be very careful and change towels often.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaunPA
3. Pull the car back in to the garage
That's fine and dandy if you have a garage.

A liquid product that is marketed as a moisturizer for the paint?

I dunno. I think I'll stick with what I've been doing. I too am in the "just drive it" camp (I've heard of people who put towels over the pedals to keep them from showing any wear!), although I do like to keep it clean. My most recent purchase is a warm air blower, and I'm very pleased with it. It gets the water out of the nooks and crannies, e.g. grille, trim, mirrors, that will otherwise blow out as soon as you hit the road.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
...My most recent purchase is a warm air blower, and I'm very pleased with it. It gets the water out of the nooks and crannies, e.g. grille, trim, mirrors, that will otherwise blow out as soon as you hit the road.
Rechargeable leaf blower!!!

Old 01-15-2016, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by TXJagR
Similar, but with a little better filter. It keeps 60 mph debris from being blasted at the car while it's still parked

Old 01-15-2016, 09:02 PM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

Xpel on the car. I still wax it once or twice a year.
Washing it by hand just helps me bond to the machine.
"It's just a car" -- but such lovely curves it has, hand washing only enhances the pleasure of owning it.
Another issue is the best car washes in my area don't want to chance it due to how low the car is - even my Jaguar deal has some kind of automated track system for washing the cars and they worry about the wheels.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

300 mph gasoline powered backpack!

Old 01-15-2016, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
300 mph gasoline powered backpack!

LOL... I know you're joking, but... Never use a gas powered blower on a car... It will blow out a fine layer of gas and oil. Electric is definitely the way to go!

Old 01-16-2016, 09:02 AM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

There is no car wash that will adequately clean the wheels. This has to be done by hand.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (01-21-2016)
Old 01-16-2016, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Sonax Full-Effect Wheel Cleaner comes very close to being a "touchless" wheel cleaner. Spray on liberally including the inside of the wheel barrels, let sit until it turns a dark red wine color, and hose off. It's by far the best I've ever found and 98% effective with no scrubbing.

The following users liked this post:
amr42 (09-15-2016)
Old 01-16-2016, 11:01 AM
Received 178 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Sonax Full-Effect Wheel Cleaner comes very close to being a "touchless" wheel cleaner. Spray on liberally including the inside of the wheel barrels, let sit until it turns a dark red wine color, and hose off. It's by far the best I've ever found and 98% effective with no scrubbing.
+1

Old 01-16-2016, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I 've been using Chemical Guys waterless wash and really like the way it comes out. I do wheels first with Sonax then the car.

Old 01-20-2016, 04:51 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

New here, thanks for the tip Foosh I'll try that.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

I happened upon a scientific paper yesterday examining the
effects on the environment of the acid component of commercial
car wash soaps. The salient fact of course is that the car wash
is spraying something on your car containing acid.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by ImNotFamousAnymore
Bold statement. But I mostly agree.
+1, and as I gave this thought (my Amonite Grey is dirty as all hell), I concluded...., yes it is only a car, and no other car that wasn't black had any problems with the car wash. However, the blacks even held up under washing conditions, albeit with some swirls at times which pissed me off. When I bought the XJL, and it was delivered the dealer detailers did a crap job on it and it was swirled. Had to buff this out.

I am actually going to the car wash now, and will deal with whatever happens. However it isn't dark, and therefore i am not worried besides the ragtop. I will try and see if I could go to a hand wash, and tell them "water only" on the roof please. But, I bought this to have fun, not to increase my blood pressure with worry that is only for a "Machine", yet a "Beautiful Machine at that"!

All an art-form, non conclusive debate. Time to get my coins together for the wash :-)!

Old 06-25-2016, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

i've had good success with [url="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GG9FB8U/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687662&pf_rd_s= lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00D8DR0AO&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX 0DER&pf_rd_r=1D9HN8YXG9ARVZBH9YKS"]

If it's too cold outside you can skip steps 1-2, just be very careful and change towels often.
Sounds like a doozie....A moisturizer to dry your car. Kinda like assault rifles to reduce crime.

Old 06-25-2016, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
I took mine to a touchless car wash for the first year I had the car. Seemed OK, but I found I needed to reproof the convertible top after the first year. So I stopped using the touchless wash.

To be fair, it needed reproofing a year later even without the touchless wash. So it may or may not matter.
My top did not need re-treatment . Even after 2 years, it was still beading up. Of course, I never used any kind of soap product, it never went through a car wash, and it was always garaged both at home and at my office building. I simply hosed it off when I hand-washed the car, which was always, and let it air dry.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:15 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

I just reproofed it for the 2nd time. It's garaged at home but not at the office. When it's beading well, I hose it off while washing the car, and squeegee it dry. Think I only did a touchless wash once the year, the rest were by hand.

Old 06-26-2016, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Foosh went to go buy some SONAX full effect based on your recommendations and saw their top tier product called Sonax wheel cleaner plus which claims to be 30% stronger than the full effect.

Did you say you've tried both and didn't see the need to pay for their better product to have you not tried it as of yet.

https://www.amazon.com/Sonax-230705-...ax+full+effect

Attached Thumbnails Car wash-419b3pux-ql.jpg  
Old 06-26-2016, 03:55 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default no touch dry blower

The best way to dry your car after a wash is using the Master Blaster. I learned about this from my car detailer. I am very picky about who washes my car. He is the only one I let do it because he uses the two-bucket method. The Master Blaster allows you to dry all the nooks and crannies in "no touch" fashion. I use the 8 hp one which you can pick up from Amazon for about $300:
https://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-.../dp/B0002SPCGC

There is also a smaller 4 hp one that is less powerful, but only about $70:
https://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-...master+blaster
Master Blaster, 8 hp

Master Blaster, 4 hp

Old 06-27-2016, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
Foosh went to go buy some SONAX full effect based on your recommendations and saw their top tier product called Sonax wheel cleaner plus which claims to be 30% stronger than the full effect.

Did you say you've tried both and didn't see the need to pay for their better product to have you not tried it as of yet.

https://www.amazon.com/Sonax-230705-...ax+full+effect
Yes, tried a small bottle of both and can't tell the difference. I now buy Sonax Full Effect by the gallon on Amazon.

Quick Reply: Car wash