F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 12:16 PM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

The dealer just called, he said the battery was fine, but there was a loose connection between the terminal for the eco start-stop system. Not sure why that would result in the engine not cranking without a jump??

They reconnected that, but I'll go and pickup the car toady and look into the trickle charger.

The following users liked this post:
jimbov8 (08-06-2015)
Old 08-04-2015, 03:40 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
The Battery Tender Plus does exactly the same thing as the CTEK and is the #1 seller in the US. It's also less expensive (under $50 everywhere).

I have 3 of them, some of which are 10 years old and working perfectly. One BT Plus keeps 3 wired togther, heavy-duty chassis batteries on my diesel motorcoach topped off.
+1 for the Battery Tender Plus. Best battery maintenance unit I've had. The CTEK unit is smaller, but the BT Plus seems to have more robust options and works with both lead acid and gel batteries.

buickfunnycar.com (08-04-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

This is how I have done it, and it will be specially usefull during the winter (when the car will not be used):

JgaXkr (08-07-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Arne,

It looks like you have it wired to the main battery. The only problem with that is your maintainer won't charge the 2nd battery for the start-stop system.

This is how JLR recommended wiring a maintainer when they were offering them as options. Red maintainer wire in top of photo goes opposite yellow wire in the battery bus compartment. Black wire from maintainer below is bolted to the car ground on the trunk floor.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Foosh, and I know that.

However I don't think that will be a major problem. Worst case is that the start/stop battery will go totally flat, and might need a replacement. But I think I will still be able to start the car.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member

That makes sense unless a dead eco-mode battery still connected causes other faults.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:20 PM

well my car didnt crank because they said the connector the eco start stop battery was loose

Old 08-05-2015, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by f_in_seattle
well my car didnt crank because they said the connector the eco start stop battery was loose
The odd thing about the dealer's explanation is that many have disconnected their eco-mode battery to defeat the system without having to press any buttons or change driving modes. I haven't seen any reported problems with that.

I honestly don't know as I've left mine connected. It doesn't bother me, and I even use it in gridlocked, stop and crawl traffic.

Brutal (08-06-2015)
Old 08-06-2015, 01:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
That makes sense unless a dead eco-mode battery still connected causes other faults.

If nothing drains the eco-mode battery when the car is not running, I would guess it does not need much charging (if any) when the car is not used for a while?

The main 90 ah battery is something else, as it provides power to the alarm, "sensing systems" (for the remote key) etc.

But I would think that the eco-mode battery will be able to "survive" for a longer time without charging....(I hope?).

Another "interesting" thing is that the Users Manual says that the jump leads in the engine bay is for just that - jump start.

For charging the vehicle battery, it says that the battery must be disconnected and removed from the vehicle before charging.... It is probabely just as a safety precaution, but still a bit odd....

Old 08-06-2015, 07:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Arne
If nothing drains the eco-mode battery when the car is not running, I would guess it does not need much charging (if any) when the car is not used for a while?

The main 90 ah battery is something else, as it provides power to the alarm, "sensing systems" (for the remote key) etc.

But I would think that the eco-mode battery will be able to "survive" for a longer time without charging....(I hope?).

Another "interesting" thing is that the Users Manual says that the jump leads in the engine bay is for just that - jump start.

For charging the vehicle battery, it says that the battery must be disconnected and removed from the vehicle before charging.... It is probabely just as a safety precaution, but still a bit odd....
Yes, it also makes sense that the eco-mode battery isn't subjected to the parasitic drain the main battery is.

That is correct that the main jump leads in the engine compartment do not charge the 2nd battery because they are only connected to the main battery. However, if you wire it through the battery buss as pictured above, it does charge both.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-06-2015 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:27 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The last couple of days my car has failed to start the first time I got in and pushed the start button. Locking/unlocking, opening and closing the door, etc. has worked, but I wonder if this means I am going to have an issue in the near future.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:09 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

New member here. My 2015 V6S would not start this morning. Fortunately I have another car to take to work. I have a CTek unit that plugs into the cigarette lighter. It worked great with my Porsches. Is it safe to use on the Jag if I try all the steps posted earlier and it does not work? I have a call out to my dealer. Thanks

Old 08-06-2015, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member

I don't know for sure because I've never used or trusted the plug-in types of maintainers, but the F-Type 12v port does not remain hot all the time as it does in some cars. That might render the bat maintainer/charger inop.

I've always direct-wired a "pig-tail" plug-in to the battery wiring to connect the maintainer. However, alligator clips work just fine as well.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:42 PM

OK. Thanks for your help.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:57 AM

Got it started when I got home from work last night. However the check engine light would not go out. Called Jaguar USA and the car is being flat bedded to the dealership. Not happy but what can you do.

Old 08-07-2015, 04:05 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

16R still having significant issues trying to start. Get in, key fob on the center console and hit the start button, dash lights up but the engine won't turn over. Takes 5-10 times before it will start. Guess I will schedule my first trip to the dealer with 700 miles. Hoping this isn't a sign of things to come.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by JarodL
16R still having significant issues trying to start. Get in, key fob on the center console and hit the start button, dash lights up but the engine won't turn over. Takes 5-10 times before it will start. Guess I will schedule my first trip to the dealer with 700 miles. Hoping this isn't a sign of things to come.
Ugh, I'm hoping its not a 2016 model issue.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

The only time I have ever had a problem with my 2016 was when the Key Fob was in my left pocket and behind my cell phone. "Smart Key not found"...

Moved the key to one pocket and the cell to another and never had a problem since.

For the record, I drive my car nearly every day, but I do use a Battery Tender when I know I'm not taking it out for a day or two.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:48 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by f_in_seattle
Ugh, I'm hoping its not a 2016 model issue.
I think it is a Jaguar issue. There are dozens of threads on this site that recommend battery replacement to remedy all kinds of issues. The electronics are apparently very sensitive to voltage, and the unique Jaguar charging system allows over 15 volts right after startup for something like ten minutes in order to top off the battery. This causes short battery life and a host of issues with other electrical components. Anything less than a perfectly functional, fully charged battery is asking for trouble; I plan to replace mine annually. I also plan to check grounds and other connections more frequently.

My car sat in inventory in BFE for many months before I snagged it. The battery is not perfect and will be replaced at the 15,000 mile service. What I mean by "not perfect" is that the car throws some goofy codes that go away after I use the Ctek. It always takes at least 24 hours to get a fully charged reading on that gizmo. This is on a daily driver that I drive 20 miles or more nearly every time I use it.

I think those of us who are new to Jaguar may have to adjust our concept of maintenance to include some things other cars do not use up quite so quickly. Batteries, light bulbs, electrical parts, water pumps and hoses, supercharger bearings, timing chain tensioners, suspension bushings etc. all wear faster or fail earlier on these cars than on other makes.

Last edited by Nookieman; 08-07-2015 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:59 PM

So the car wouldnt start again today. I got the SOS not available message and after about 4-5 button pushes the car started up again.

Going to take it to the dealer again tomorrow, if it starts up without a jump

Quick Reply: Car wont start