Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber

I'm looking to do some carbon fiber on the exterior of my Coupe.

I'm considering wrapping the front lips, possibly the mirrors, and the "ugly" 2016 body colored side skirts.

I took a QUICK look at these parts and the skirts appear to simply be screwed on. Has anyone removed theirs or can confirm they are easily removable and replaceable?

Does anyone have experience with the 3M DI-NOC Carbon Fiber flex wrap?

I would assume it's removable in the future without harming the paint underneath...

If I like the look of things, I may go with real CF in the future, but for the price, I think wrapping a few parts first might be a good looking cosmetic solution.

Thoughts and opinions please?

Old 05-30-2015, 09:22 PM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I tried this route and I could not wrap the hood louvres, they are impossible. So I went to the dealership and he had the CF louvres, once I installed it was very different from the wrap, so I ended up buying the louvres, the side thing and the mirrors. Internally the console is wrapped, but I am going to get rid of it someday and put real CF there too.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by jns2001
I tried this route and I could not wrap the hood louvres, they are impossible. So I went to the dealership and he had the CF louvres, once I installed it was very different from the wrap, so I ended up buying the louvres, the side thing and the mirrors. Internally the console is wrapped, but I am going to get rid of it someday and put real CF there too.
I'm pretty happy with the louvers and vents with the black pack, but the lower body colored lips are just killing me.

I can't see paying dealer prices for the CF. I would probably find someone to make me aftermarket CF parts to replace the vents, louvers, and mirrors if I decided to go that route.

Not sure if I want to try the gloss, or the dry carbon look... I think I might go Gloss... either way, don't think I can go wrong with the IRR body color.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

my guess is the side skirts would be the easiest to wrap. the other pieces are more intricate and would be a pita.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the factory carbon fiber vents and mirrors. I Di Noc'd the front splitters first by removing them, a PITA. Then I did the same on the side skirts, pretty easy to do without removing them. Then I did the rear spitter, removing them first. A couple of tips. A heat gun helps on the rear splitter. It was the most difficult to do because of the sharp curve. Go easy with the heat, however, because it is easy to get too much heat on it and warp the wrap. Take your time and do only one part per weekend. Give yourself plenty of time to do it right. When taking off the splitters put the car on ramps. Access to the many screws is difficult and make note of all the holes and which screw come out of which holes (there are a couple of differnt lengths and types). When I finished the front I realized I had a screw that I did not reinstall LOL. Also note the direction of the weave so that you have each side going in the same direction. Make sure to get more wrap than you think you will need. That way you can practice. I did the rear splitter a couple of times and each time I it got better. Like you, I hope to one day find all the parts in real CF. And hopefully will be able to afford them. If done right, however, it does look pretty darn good. I will post some pics tomorrow.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:00 AM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by TXJagR
I'm looking to do some carbon fiber on the exterior of my Coupe.

I'm considering wrapping the front lips, possibly the mirrors, and the "ugly" 2016 body colored side skirts.

I took a QUICK look at these parts and the skirts appear to simply be screwed on. Has anyone removed theirs or can confirm they are easily removable and replaceable?

Does anyone have experience with the 3M DI-NOC Carbon Fiber flex wrap?

I would assume it's removable in the future without harming the paint underneath...

If I like the look of things, I may go with real CF in the future, but for the price, I think wrapping a few parts first might be a good looking cosmetic solution.

Thoughts and opinions please?
I am thinking the same thing. In fact I've started soliciting for quotes to get the front splitter, side skirts, and possibly hood vents treated in CF wrap. I've also considered doing the rear spoiler and diffuser in CF wrap as well, but not completely sold on those.

I'm probably going to get the CF mirror cover caps instead of wrapping those, as they're not terribly expensive and Mina Gallery has them in stock.

In the mean time, I am probably just going to plasti dip those parts in black for now, since I'm really not enjoying the body colored front spitter, hood vents, and side skirts.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:05 AM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm pretty happy with the louvers and vents with the black pack, but the lower body colored lips are just killing me.

I can't see paying dealer prices for the CF. I would probably find someone to make me aftermarket CF parts to replace the vents, louvers, and mirrors if I decided to go that route.

Not sure if I want to try the gloss, or the dry carbon look... I think I might go Gloss... either way, don't think I can go wrong with the IRR body color.
Unfortunately, I didn't have the black pack option, since I ended up picking my car up at the dealership since I found a car that was 90% set up the way I wanted, and for some unknown reason they didn't add black pack.

Unfortunately Jaguar is not widespread enough to really get the mod community working on stuff like the do for the Corvette and Porsche community. For those you can find aftermarket carbon fiber (or hydro carbon fiber) parts for just about anything for well below retail prices from the dealer. Though there is a hydrographics shop here in the bay area, so I am also considering buying stock parts and bringing them in to get them HCF dipped and gloss coated and then install them myself.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:38 AM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

My louvers and vents were chrome....