Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber Mirror Covers Install Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 12:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Mirror Covers Install Instructions

Almost ready to get the CF Mirror Covers...looking for installation instructions. Has anybody installed the mirror covers themselves (not by dealer at purchase time)? Is it just simple snap old off, snap new ones on? Or is it not easily reversible? I'm assuming you take the old covers off and put the new ones, not just simple cover the old cover with the new cover.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:45 AM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

Shift... I changed my mirror covers to the carbon fiber ones last week. It's very easy to do and takes less than 15 minutes... Adjust the mirror glass up and in so you can get your fingertips under it and lift it off... the mirror glass will pop right off the base. Then, there is a tab inside the mirror on the existing cover that you push up on with a flathead screwdriver; pull up and back on the cover and it will click off. Slide and click on the new cover, push the mirror glass back on and you are good to go!

Instructions are included, but they do not show how to remove the mirror glass. However, as mentioned it pops right off with no trouble, or worry of breaking. I would recommend wearing a pair of rubber surgical gloves for a better grip.

Last edited by MI-FType; 12-30-2014 at 07:51 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MI-FType:
shift (12-30-2014), Unhingd (12-30-2014)
Old 12-30-2014, 10:51 AM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

The guy at the dealership used a dual face tape to make it stronger in place, when I asked why, he said that I did not want to get those stolen easily....I dunno....

Old 12-30-2014, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MI-FType
Shift... I changed my mirror covers to the carbon fiber ones last week. It's very easy to do and takes less than 15 minutes... Adjust the mirror glass up and in so you can get your fingertips under it and lift it off... the mirror glass will pop right off the base. Then, there is a tab inside the mirror on the existing cover that you push up on with a flathead screwdriver; pull up and back on the cover and it will click off. Slide and click on the new cover, push the mirror glass back on and you are good to go!

Instructions are included, but they do not show how to remove the mirror glass. However, as mentioned it pops right off with no trouble, or worry of breaking. I would recommend wearing a pair of rubber surgical gloves for a better grip.
Thanks!

Old 12-30-2014, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Looking forward to seeing finished pictures T...I think those paired with the C/F side and hood louvers give you the biggest visual bang-for-the-buck since they're right near eye level where you can see the C/F weave glistening in the sun...

Old 12-30-2014, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
Looking forward to seeing finished pictures T...I think those paired with the C/F side and hood louvers give you the biggest visual bang-for-the-buck since they're right near eye level where you can see the C/F weave glistening in the sun...
With so many white coupes running around I need something to be different

Old 12-30-2014, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
With so many white coupes running around I need something to be different
Yes, we kinda figured that out when we saw the pink kitty cats.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
I changed my side vents and hood louvers as well... they were also very easy to do. I have my eyes on the CF aero and front splitter blades, but the kit is $2,500. Not sure that the 3 small pieces are worth it.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

With so many white coupes running around I need something to be different...
Oh you're different all right,lol...

Old 12-30-2014, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks again MI-FType for the instructions/tips. Pretty easy install but man I was a little scared I was going to break the mirror trying to take it off.

Regarding the double sided tape for added security...no way you can quickly take these off, they're clipped in tight. If you use enough force sure, but then you'll probably break the entire mirror housing and tape isn't going to stop that.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member

I changed my side vents and hood louvers as well... they were also very easy to do. I have my eyes on the CF aero and front splitter blades, but the kit is $2,500. Not sure that the 3 small pieces are worth it.
You have pics? Would love to see the other CF bits installed.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:31 PM

I will snap a couple pics for you tomorrow. Unfortunately the kitty is hibernating for the winter so they won't be nice, sunny California outdoor shots. The bits weren't cheap by any means, but they are a great compliment to the Stratus Grey. I am very pleased with the look and happy with the purchase.

I understand your car is White? They will really set it off and give it an exotic look.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

I will snap a couple pics for you tomorrow. Unfortunately the kitty is hibernating for the winter so they won't be nice, sunny California outdoor shots. The bits weren't cheap by any means, but they are a great compliment to the Stratus Grey. I am very pleased with the look and happy with the purchase.

I understand your car is White? They will really set it off and give it an exotic look.
I'll be very interested to see how it looks with Stratus Gray (like mine). Not sure I'd take the $1,000+ leap but anything is possible. Where did you get yours and may I ask how much you paid? Looking forward to seeing pics.

Thanks!

Last edited by RickyJay52; 12-30-2014 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
I'll be very interested to see how it looks with Stratus Gray (like mine). Not sure I'd take the $1,000+ leap but anything is possible. Where did you get yours and may I ask how much you paid? Looking forward to seeing pics.

Thanks!
I got the whole CF package (mirror covers, hood and side vents) from jaguarpartscheap.com which is run through a local dealer in Michigan. They are about 10%-15% lower in price than anyone else I have researched. Total cost was around $2,400 and I did the installs myself which undoubtedly saved me a lot of additional dollars... I will snap the pics tomorrow and post.

Last edited by MI-FType; 12-30-2014 at 09:57 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by MI-FType:
buickfunnycar.com (12-30-2014), RickyJay52 (12-30-2014), shift (12-30-2014)
Old 12-30-2014, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member

I got the whole CF package (mirror covers, hood and side vents) from jaguarpartscheap.com which is run through a local dealer in Michigan. They are about 10%-15% lower in price than anyone else I have researched. Total cost was around $2,400 and I did the installs myself which undoubtedly saved me a lot of additional dollars... I will snap the pics tomorrow and post.
That sounds like a (relative) good deal. The dealers around here are charging about $520 for the mirror covers, $520 for the louvres and $420 for the vents. Times 2 and total is about $2,900 so $2,400 is a nice discount.

I can attest the install of the mirror covers is DIY, 15 minutes, even for a guy like me who doesn't really work on his car.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks!
Stratus grey with CF is an interesting dilemma...on one hand, the natural grey will blend in so nicely with the color of the car. On the other hand, because it blends in so nicely it won't "pop" out as much as say with a white or orange car. I think if you are going for "understated elegance" it'll be awesome.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

That sounds like a (relative) good deal. The dealers around here are charging about $520 for the mirror covers, $520 for the louvres and $420 for the vents. Times 2 and total is about $2,900 so $2,400 is a nice discount.
For reference, in the UK the mirror covers can be bought for anywhere between £500-£700, with the bonet and side vents at £500-£600.

Given the current exchange rate, that would make it cheaper to get them shipped over from the U.S.

Last edited by F-typical; 12-31-2014 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-31-2014, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
For reference, in the UK the mirror covers can be bought for anywhere between £500-£700, with the bonet and side vents at £500-£600.

Given the current exchange rate, that would make it cheaper to get them shipped over from the U.S.

The same could be said for the car itself. Anywhere else in the world than the U.S., I would not have been able to afford an F-Type. We are indeed quite fortunate here.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Stratus grey with CF is an interesting dilemma...on one hand, the natural grey will blend in so nicely with the color of the car. On the other hand, because it blends in so nicely it won't "pop" out as much as say with a white or orange car. I think if you are going for "understated elegance" it'll be awesome.
Interesting dilemma indeed, and why it will be interesting to see how they look with SG. Not sure I'd like to spend over a grand for "understated elegance" which the car clearly already has. Then again, maybe I would/will? Wouldn't be my first impulse buy. Then again, so was the car!

Happy New Year shift!

Old 12-31-2014, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Not sure I'd like to spend over a grand for "understated elegance" ...
Happy New Year shift!

I'm not certain I've ever spent more than a grand on any kind of elegance (except my wife, of course)

The following users liked this post:
RickyJay52 (12-31-2014)

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Mirror Covers Install Instructions