F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber Panels Feeler

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 12:01 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber On eBay

I found some Carbon Fiber parts on eBay. The Mirror parts are stick on caps but unless you look really close you really can't tell. Fooled the dealer that did the service yesterday. The Side Vents do the Jaguar in mold rather than the decal and bolt on rather than snap on (so you have to do the two bolt fender access attach method which is recommended anyway). The Caps were $110 and the side vents just short of $700. I ran into someone who was selling a set of the carbon fiber side vents cheap so picked them up for a comparison. See pictures.

(Oh and I plan to buy the engine cover).

Side Vents:

Jaguar F Type German Rush Carbon Fiber Side Power Vents Louver Left and Right | eBay

Caps: Carbon Fiber Rearview Mirror Cover Caps Fit for Jaguar F Type 2013 2016 | eBay

Attached Thumbnails Carbon Fiber Panels Feeler-ebay-side-vent.jpg   Carbon Fiber Panels Feeler-jaguar-side-vent.jpg   Carbon Fiber Panels Feeler-mirror-cap-left-back.jpg   Carbon Fiber Panels Feeler-mirror-cap-left.jpg   Carbon Fiber Panels Feeler-mirror-cap-right-back.jpg  

Carbon Fiber Panels Feeler-mirror-cap-right.jpg   Carbon Fiber Panels Feeler-side-vents-back.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
FrickenJag (05-24-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by FrickenJag
Once I see the parts and I am happy with the result, I will start on the tooling mold for the engine cover.
Derek,
Any update on the engine cover?

FrickenJag (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 01:07 AM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by enderle
I found some Carbon Fiber parts on eBay. The Mirror parts are stick on caps but unless you look really close you really can't tell. Fooled the dealer that did the service yesterday. The Side Vents do the Jaguar in mold rather than the decal and bolt on rather than snap on (so you have to do the two bolt fender access attach method which is recommended anyway). The Caps were $110 and the side vents just short of $700. I ran into someone who was selling a set of the carbon fiber side vents cheap so picked them up for a comparison. See pictures.

Side Vents:

Jaguar F Type German Rush Carbon Fiber Side Power Vents Louver Left and Right | eBay

Caps: Carbon Fiber Rearview Mirror Cover Caps Fit for Jaguar F Type 2013 2016 | eBay
typical ebay faux parts

that looks terrible. lol @ vent

Old 05-24-2016, 10:26 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 184 Likes on 126 Posts

I'm negotiating some quotes on the molds now. Trying to figure out which approach I want to take. My method now is using carbon fiber molds. I'm having it quoted in aluminum as well. Both are expensive and I just need to determine longevity of mold surface for how many parts I would like to get from the mold. More updates soon.

Radiator cover should be done this week, if not, I'm karate chopping my carbon layup guy.

Smoke Em (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 10:55 PM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

thanks for the update.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Carbon radiator cover done for the F-types non-awd and 07-up XK / XKR.

Quick post. I'll give details and pricing later. I'll get some better quality photos as well. These are full 3-ply Carbon fiber. No fiberglass used. These are build as they should be.

I'm on to the engine covers now. I'll offer a group buy discount if there is enough interest.

JgaXkr (06-22-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 01:57 PM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Very nice looking Derek. Keep us posted on price and remaining pieces.

Thank you

FrickenJag (06-20-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Side Vents:

Enderle, take a black permanent marker and go around the edge of the mirror caps to get rid of the white edge. Thats whats making the caps look like just that...caps. That should help greatly. too bad the don't taper in so it is so obvious that they are caps.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Derek, looking good. I may have to change my mind and get these bits in addition to the engine cover.

FrickenJag (06-20-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 08:27 PM
Default Reflection

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
Enderle, take a black permanent marker and go around the edge of the mirror caps to get rid of the white edge. Thats whats making the caps look like just that...caps. That should help greatly. too bad the don't taper in so it is so obvious that they are caps.
Turns out it was the reflection from the flash. Went to do what you suggested and I don't even see the line in person. The thin edge is actually black.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the responses guys. These certainly turned out awesome. I went to a local cars and coffee event here in Charlotte and everyone seemed to enjoy them. Certainly something you will not see on another jag at the moment.

Now for the details:
All made in the U.S.A and Fricken awesome quality.
These are Cytec VTM FRB 2x2 Carbon. A very high quality, nice consistent weave. A total 3-Plys of nothing but carbon. No filler material. The polished appearance is how these come straight out of the molds. If you need even more gloss, you can clear or I can quote clear coating, if you desire. If you desire a matte finish, I will get pricing for that as well.

Radiator cover: 750$
Upper left and right cover: 475$ each.

Kit price total: 1700$

Kit in photo is made with a Hexcel carbon which has a slight gold tint to the resin. The Cytec has a more clear/black appearance.

If anyone wants to jump on the first prototype set , it is ready to ship at 1450$ for all three pieces.

I'm investing in the engine covers next and I'm willing to do more items as I recoup some of the investment for these expensive tools. So the more I can get out to you guys, the more I can do. Everything is reinvested to design more FrickenFast parts.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:21 AM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

Derek those parts look great, can't see any distortion of weave around curves/edges

What's the process for removing the front rad cover - i really like how you'd see that detail through the opening bw hood and bumper with it open

FrickenJag (06-21-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

They really do appear to be 1st-class quality. Great work.

FrickenJag (06-21-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

If we send u back our donors, do we get a break? Or is that absorbed into the price. Honestly, I think I'd rather expose carbon on the exterior, then interior, then the engine bay. In that order.

On that note, there are a few interior trim pieces, i.e. the interior door handle trim along with the pieces that are "oem carbon" in the interior that I would like wrapped. Also if you can wrap the mirrors and do a trade back system, that would interest me a great deal, especially if you could do this in an all black carbon weave.

I know you're focused on what you are doing here Fricken but if you ever decide to expand the scope of your talents. Let's talk.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-21-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cbroth1
Derek, I think another area worth looking into is the plastic fake carbon fiber dash/shifter bezel trim that badly needs a real carbon equivalent. I believe the plastic pieces are some of the cheapest looking bits in the car's interior and I think you would have a market. They are purely cosmetic, but if you are already designing and fabricating.....what do you think.

I have a roll of carbon fiber twill and epoxy sitting in my garage ready for a hand wet lay skin, but it's pretty hard to get small pieces like that to fit properly with the extra thickness.
+1

FrickenJag (06-21-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 11:20 AM
Default First set

Originally Posted by FrickenJag
Thanks for the responses guys. These certainly turned out awesome. I went to a local cars and coffee event here in Charlotte and everyone seemed to enjoy them. Certainly something you will not see on another jag at the moment.

Now for the details:
All made in the U.S.A and Fricken awesome quality.
These are Cytec VTM FRB 2x2 Carbon. A very high quality, nice consistent weave. A total 3-Plys of nothing but carbon. No filler material. The polished appearance is how these come straight out of the molds. If you need even more gloss, you can clear or I can quote clear coating, if you desire. If you desire a matte finish, I will get pricing for that as well.

Radiator cover: 750$
Upper left and right cover: 475$ each.

Kit price total: 1700$

Kit in photo is made with a Hexcel carbon which has a slight gold tint to the resin. The Cytec has a more clear/black appearance.

If anyone wants to jump on the first prototype set , it is ready to ship at 1450$ for all three pieces.

I'm investing in the engine covers next and I'm willing to do more items as I recoup some of the investment for these expensive tools. So the more I can get out to you guys, the more I can do. Everything is reinvested to design more FrickenFast parts.
I'd buy the first set for jollies let me know how to go about doing that.

FrickenJag (06-21-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 07:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by domino_z
Derek those parts look great, can't see any distortion of weave around curves/edges

What's the process for removing the front rad cover - i really like how you'd see that detail through the opening bw hood and bumper with it open
Simple removal, just a phillips screw driver. Extract the plastic screws carefully without dropping......then pull cover off and add on this sweet piece.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:06 PM
Former Sponsor

If we send u back our donors, do we get a break? Or is that absorbed into the price. Honestly, I think I'd rather expose carbon on the exterior, then interior, then the engine bay. In that order.

On that note, there are a few interior trim pieces, i.e. the interior door handle trim along with the pieces that are "oem carbon" in the interior that I would like wrapped. Also if you can wrap the mirrors and do a trade back system, that would interest me a great deal, especially if you could do this in an all black carbon weave.

I know you're focused on what you are doing here Fricken but if you ever decide to expand the scope of your talents. Let's talk.
I have no need for the plastic factory units as these are a direct replacement carbon piece, not wrapped. They may be worth keeping for future though.

I'm certainly looking into doing more items for these cars, just taking a few investments at a time. I enjoy the process of designing and making high quality parts.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:07 PM
Former Sponsor

I'd buy the first set for jollies let me know how to go about doing that.
Rob, shoot me a pm and lets talk.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:11 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd be in for real CF mirrors, not covers, especially if it kept all of the functionality.

FrickenJag (06-22-2016)

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Panels Feeler