Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber Panels Feeler

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by FrickenJag
Just making sure the information relayed to me is accurate Foosh. As an engineer, I've come to know checking 3-4 times isnt a bad thing.
Derek,
Here are the pics and the critical dimensions of the V6 cover to compare with the V8. I do not have the actual part number. Others seem to have access to the parts list. The number stamped on the foam insulator is IN6046C.

Last edited by Unhingd; 10-08-2015 at 08:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FrickenJag (10-08-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 11:41 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 184 Likes on 126 Posts

Thanks so much for aiding me in this. They are in-fact the same part.
I'll get to scanning and reversing this to be tooled. I'm going to tailer the design to have the Jaguar a little larger and more embossed. I'll post some pics of a rendered part once I finish to get everyone's opinion.
I owe you Ihoboy. Thanks again.

I have a conference call with the tooling company on Monday to make sure everything is as planned prior to tooling. I should get these back rather quick. Then we will run them to Hendricks Carbon facility for pulling the first parts.

I'm really looking forward to getting these done. Certainly not a cheap process, but the end products will be worth it. Mark Hord , the director of composites at Hendricks motorsports has been quite helpful with guiding me it the best process.

I'll try to setup scanning the engine cover next week.

Regards,
Derek Fricke

Foosh (10-09-2015)
Old 10-14-2015, 09:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Quick update:
Tooling facility called to let me know they should have plug tooling complete as early as next week. Then off to Hendricks carbon facility to knock out the molds and first parts.

I'm going to finish these parts out first to make sure my tooling material and process is sound prior to doing the engine panel cover, but will knock that out soon after.

Regards,
Derek Fricke

Foosh (10-14-2015)
Old 10-15-2015, 12:18 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

In the FWIW dept, I had our Subaru repaired once - hit a deer. The body shop used an aftermarket front grille, but had to use a genuine Subaru logo part in the middle as the aftermarket did not produce the logo'd parts. I understand this is because there can be copyright implications using mfr's name or emblems etc on after market parts. That being the case, it might be wise to have the logo etc as a separate part and not embedded in your zillion dollar mold. Or ask Jag for permission (prob never get it).

FrickenJag (10-15-2015)
Old 10-15-2015, 09:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mshedden
That being the case, it might be wise to have the logo etc as a separate part and not embedded in your zillion dollar mold. Or ask Jag for permission (prob never get it).
Very good point. I'm thinking as long as the text isn't exact copy, I should be okay. I know there are many vendors for Corvette and Mustang that run similar parts without issue. Certainly worth looking into. I may have the Jaguar as a secondary process decal within the resin.

Regards
Derek Fricke

Old 10-15-2015, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by FrickenJag
Very good point. I'm thinking as long as the text isn't exact copy, I should be okay. I know there are many vendors for Corvette and Mustang that run similar parts without issue. Certainly worth looking into. I may have the Jaguar as a secondary process decal within the resin.

Regards
Derek Fricke
Please remember, it is important that the "Supercharged" badges continue to show through the hood vents.

As for the "Jaguar" labels, you could just leave a bordered space to apply the Jaguar lettering that is applied to the rear deck. That would avoid the I.P. issues as the lettering would be purchased from Jag. It would also look more authentic.

Last edited by Unhingd; 10-15-2015 at 09:52 AM.
FrickenJag (10-15-2015)
Old 10-15-2015, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Please remember, it is important that the "Supercharged" badges continue to show through the hood vents.

As for the "Jaguar" labels, you could just leave a bordered space to apply the Jaguar lettering that is applied to the rear deck. That would avoid the I.P. issues as the lettering would be purchased from Jag. It would also look more authentic.
+1 That's a very good suggestion, and agreed on the "supercharged" badges. The customer could also purchase the leaper that's on the rear spoiler, which would be a nice touch on the engine cover, where the "JAGUAR" appears on the OEM panel.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Pertaining to the badges I will make sure there is an area where this can be added to the carbon. I'm not sure if I can buy the badge to add, or it this is an option for the end buyer to swap theirs from the stock cover.

Thanks for the input.

Derek Fricke

Old 10-16-2015, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
The customer could also purchase the leaper that's on the rear spoiler, which would be a nice touch on the engine cover, where the "JAGUAR" appears on the OEM panel.
+1! I like that even better.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:11 AM
Former Sponsor

These will be in route to Hendricks Racing Carbon facility this week. I just need to setup the 5-axis milling program and I'll have the first production samples complete. Per how these came out, I'll pull the trigger and go ahead to do the engine cover with the same process.

These should turn out as if they were a designed factory upgrade. I'll be working on a few other carbon components shortly. Valve covers and induction tubes in carbon are two of the big ones I'm working on.

The following 2 users liked this post by FrickenJag:
JgaXkr (11-05-2015), Unhingd (11-05-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

Derek,
Will you be getting launched on the engine cover itself any time soon.

FrickenJag (11-05-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 04:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Yes sir. This is next on the list to knock out. I'm scanning and converting the stock units data this week. Then I'll do some tweaks and adjustments you guys can vote on for the final mold. I want to make sure it looks mean but everyone is satisfied.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member

Looking forward to seeing it.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Just a quick update, Should have some finished parts next week. The composites director at Hendricks has given everything his blessing and is starting to set up production of the first parts at the beginning of the week.
I'm looking forward to having some photos of them installed by the end of the week. No corners will be cut with the carbon, they will be full carbon pieces. I am not using any fiberglass filler.

The engine covers for both the XKR 4.2/ 5.0 and the F-types are in the works. I'm designing them currently. I have the data scanned and converted. I am reverse engineering them, then I will add some nicer details and I will present a few variations for everyone to consider and vote on. Then I'll rush with getting the plugs and molds complete.

I'm assuming by the end of the month I may have those ready to go to production.

See below. This is the scan data for the XKR that I'm working on. Carbon front splitter, side skirts, and rear functional diffuser will be next priorities once I wrap up the current projects. I'll start on the F-types shortly as well as I know many are interested.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:32 AM
Veteran Member

Patiently waiting for the F-Type CF Engine Cover.

FrickenJag (12-16-2015)
Old 12-16-2015, 08:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Getting there bud. Just wanted to update. I have the data scanned and converted for both. I'm remodeling the data and enhancing the aesthetics. I'll start with the F-type first

Should have the panels finished out this week. I'm planning to have the mold for the engine covers ready after the holiday.

The following 3 users liked this post by FrickenJag:
Foosh (12-16-2015), Mbourne (12-16-2015), Unhingd (12-16-2015)
Old 12-17-2015, 03:44 PM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

Derek,

Note that the MY16 AWD R has a different engine cover than the previous MY15 RWD R and the V6.

Do you foresee the possibility of molding a 3rd style for the AWD R for MY16 and beyond?

Old 12-18-2015, 05:40 AM

Derek,

I did a little more photographic research and it appears that all MY16 AWD (V6 and V8) cars have the engine cover pictured in my last post. This may result in a higher interest going forward and make it worth your while to create a mold.

Keep me posted as I for one, would love to have one.

Thanks.

FrickenJag (12-18-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by MI-FType
Derek,

I did a little more photographic research and it appears that all MY16 AWD (V6 and V8) cars have the engine cover pictured in my last post. This may result in a higher interest going forward and make it worth your while to create a mold.

Keep me posted as I for one, would love to have one.

Thanks.
Going forward perhaps, but all 14-15 MY cars from base through R have the same engine cover, which means many more of those cars currently in service and a significantly greater sales potential for Fricken right now. In addition, all 16MY RWD (V6 base and S) also have the 14-15 engine cover.

I've never seen 14-16 model sales breakdowns, but I'm guessing the base has been the largest seller, and it's not available in AWD configuration. I would also guess that most '16 V6S sales have been RWD. Lastly, RWD R's are still available in markets other than N. America.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-18-2015 at 07:16 AM.
FrickenJag (12-18-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Foosh
Going forward perhaps, but all 14-15 MY cars from base through R have the same engine cover, which means many more of those cars currently in service and a significantly greater sales potential for Fricken right now. In addition, all 16MY RWD (V6 base and S) also have the 14-15 engine cover.

I've never seen 14-16 model sales breakdowns, but I'm guessing the base has been the largest seller, and it's not available in AWD configuration. I would also guess that most '16 V6S sales have been RWD. Lastly, RWD R's are still available in markets other than N. America.
Six of one / half dozen of the other... the opportunities exist for both. I was just letting him know.

FrickenJag (12-18-2015)

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Panels Feeler