F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cargo Cover Parcel Shelf String

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 10:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cargo Cover Parcel Shelf String

Hi everyone, I’ve had my F-Type R for about a month now but the previous owner had removed the strings holding the cargo cover (presumably because one broke) but now I want to get it fixed because i’m tired of holding up the cover with my head as I remove things from my trunk. I also don’t want to remove it completely. I know that the strings are part of the entire assembly so I’m not trying to spend $600 to replace the entire cargo cover (nor $300 for a used one). Has anyone had any good ideas on how to replace the cords and what they used? I don’t know what kind of grommet fits in the cargo cover hole or what that would be even called and what type of string would work best. Another idea I had was to buy the range rover one (since the string and loop looks similar) and cutting off the big plastic anchor bit, but I still don’t know how I would secure the string to the cover itself. Thanks

Old 09-24-2020, 11:11 AM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by haan
Hi everyone, I’ve had my F-Type R for about a month now but the previous owner had removed the strings holding the cargo cover (presumably because one broke) but now I want to get it fixed because i’m tired of holding up the cover with my head as I remove things from my trunk. I also don’t want to remove it completely. I know that the strings are part of the entire assembly so I’m not trying to spend $600 to replace the entire cargo cover (nor $300 for a used one). Has anyone had any good ideas on how to replace the cords and what they used? I don’t know what kind of grommet fits in the cargo cover hole or what that would be even called and what type of string would work best. Another idea I had was to buy the range rover one (since the string and loop looks similar) and cutting off the big plastic anchor bit, but I still don’t know how I would secure the string to the cover itself. Thanks
Someone else started a thread about this very thing some time ago. You may want to attempt a search for that thread to see if they reached a satisfactory conclusion.
As for my two cents, it looks like it would be a very simple MacGyver fix. Using a large upholstery needle thread a braided nylon cord down through the same spot of the originals (thru the small rubber or plastic washer-like objects if still present--otherwise obtain something suitable); secure the under side of the cord to the cover using a suitable washer-like object (maybe even a black button) and form the loop that affixes to the upper attachment points. Done! Total cost a couple bucks and a half-hour of your time.

Old 09-24-2020, 12:27 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Try T2R59155 Parcel shelf cord have a look on https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.../brand/jaguar/ they try mailing someone like https://www.brit-car.co.uk/

Hope it helps.

Phil

Old 09-24-2020, 01:02 PM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts

I happen to have one that is almost new, if you are interested please send me a PM

Dave

Old 09-25-2020, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
thru the small rubber or plastic washer-like objects if still present--otherwise obtain something suitable);
This is where i’m stuck because I don’t know what to look for or what this could be categorized as at the hardware store lol. But the rest, especially the nylon suggestion, is great thanks

Old 09-25-2020, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Phil Edwards
Try T2R59155 Parcel shelf cord have a look on https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.../brand/jaguar/ they try mailing someone like https://www.brit-car.co.uk/

Hope it helps.

Phil
I didn’t know there actually was a part number for the cord itself, everywhere else on the forum (and jag part websites) list it as only the entire assembly. This was very helpful, thank you

Old 09-25-2020, 09:20 AM
Banned

This is where i’m stuck because I don’t know what to look for or what this could be categorized as at the hardware store lol. But the rest, especially the nylon suggestion, is great thanks
Beveled faucet washers would probably suffice. Home Depot or Lowes or Ace Hardware.

The following users liked this post:
haan (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 10:00 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

I didn’t know there actually was a part number for the cord itself, everywhere else on the forum (and jag part websites) list it as only the entire assembly. This was very helpful, thank you
I couldn't see any practical way to fit a replacement cord to mine when it pulled out. Fortunately, the whole thing was replaced under warranty because the reason the cord pulled out was that the cover had jammed against the rear hatch after falling off the hinge pegs, and broke when I forced the hatch open.

Old 09-25-2020, 11:16 AM
Banned

I think I understand. When my family and I crossed the prairies by covered wagon...oh, never mind someone will just be offended/triggered/insulted or otherwise unappreciative of my warped sense of humor.

Old 08-15-2021, 08:05 PM

UPDATE: SOLUTION FOUND!

Parts:
-5mm nylon push rivet (one with a screw) from Lowes here
-nylon 350 parachute cord/paracord

Well after almost a year I finally figured out a good fix for this. After looking all over the internet and there being no exact solutions/parts at all this will likely be the first concrete solution. Below are the pretty simple steps:

1) Ensure there is nothing attached (string, grommets etc) to the cargo cover and that only the 2 holes are there (flush with the surface)
2) Tie paracord to each of the circles on the hatch
3) Cut string equally on both sides
4) Insert grommets without screwing in
5) Tie off one end around the screw and then screw it down
6) Lift cargo cover to make sure there is only “half” tension and repeat the previous step for the other side (and make sure length and tension is even on both sides)
7) Cut off excess string

Thats it, you no longer have to hold up the cargo cover with your head or look to buy an entire new cargo cover for $600

Old 08-15-2021, 11:36 PM
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

Thanks, great to hear that there is an easy fix. The power hatch snapped one of mine when the cargo cover slipped off the pegs (as mentioned above) and got stuck. It currently awkwardly hangs from one string, and sits on one peg. Honestly, the root cause here is the pegs not being long enough. I even took out the trunk trim and tried to adjust them when I was in there as part of a separate project, no dice.

Old 08-16-2021, 08:34 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

I just removed the cargo cover, wrapped it in a large trash bag and stored it in my garage. It is easy enough to install should I feel the need to cover any contents in the luggage compartment, like if I am going on a road trip for a few days. It makes the interior feel a bit more open as well.

Old 08-16-2021, 10:03 AM
Received 190 Likes on 120 Posts

I just had my MY2018 cargo cover replaced the other day [under warranty] and noticed JLR changed both the cargo cover fabric and how the cords are attached. They went to a smoother fabric that is not quite as black [almost looks like a really dark gray] and the cords are fed all the way through the cover and affixed on the other side. I guess JLR got tired of replacing these. This design is very similar to a Saab 900 I had back in the day. Even if a cord breaks, it should be an easy fix now.

Old 03-21-2024, 03:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My parcel cord broke because the shelf falls off of the pegs. I ordered a new cord but I was worried it would fall off and break again. To solve this issue, I installed rubber washers that I found on Amazon. It prevents the parcel shelf from sliding off of the posts. Even with one cable the shelf is stable and don't fall off of the posts.

Amazon link:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BVVY77HT?starsLeft=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_cso_cp_apin_dp_AYT8FNEKR65NHPPG781K&fbclid=IwAR1yfkVcEnQbrIGEs_SB9cI8Eg-ZkHmqaS9Lh3Ez2EORPyqvwD4LDEsTiRE https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BVVY77HT?starsLeft=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_cso_cp_apin_dp_AYT8FNEKR65NHPPG781K&fbclid=IwAR1yfkVcEnQbrIGEs_SB9cI8Eg-ZkHmqaS9Lh3Ez2EORPyqvwD4LDEsTiRE

If the link is broken, it is 10mm thick with a 10mm hole. Super snug fit.

Valerie Stabenow (03-22-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 05:31 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

JTB00618 - "parcel shelf loose or adrift" was issued to address this situation.

Old 03-22-2024, 06:58 AM
Received 424 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
Someone else started a thread about this very thing some time ago. You may want to attempt a search for that thread to see if they reached a satisfactory conclusion.
As for my two cents, it looks like it would be a very simple MacGyver fix. Using a large upholstery needle thread a braided nylon cord down through the same spot of the originals (thru the small rubber or plastic washer-like objects if still present--otherwise obtain something suitable); secure the under side of the cord to the cover using a suitable washer-like object (maybe even a black button) and form the loop that affixes to the upper attachment points. Done! Total cost a couple bucks and a half-hour of your time.
This poster must have been clairvoyant (or genius) inasmuch as the strings that suspend the cargo cover in my 2022 model use this method as opposed to the method in my older 2018 model.

Old 03-26-2024, 12:03 PM
Received 303 Likes on 198 Posts
Default What's this part/Cargo Cover shelf string. Washers work!

Got these washers in from post 14. Have 8 leftover in bag. Please PM me with US mainland address and I'll send you two, I will cover mailing costs.. no biggie.

Rondog (03-26-2024)