F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carpet pulling away by center console?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 01:40 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Carpet pulling away by center console?

My carpet is pulling away near the driver's seatbelt. Is this something any of you have had to deal with? The carpet doesn't seem to be loose enough to be pulled up at all so not sure what the fix it. But given my car only has 5000 miles its pretty annoying to look at.

Last edited by nitro28; 08-12-2020 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:37 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Is it under warranty? You haven't given us any car details.

Old 08-12-2020, 02:45 PM

Sorry. 2017 F type R Certified Convertible. It is under warranty for 3 more years. I was hoping it wasn't an issue that I would have to have the dealer take care of, but if that is what it takes then I'll take it in. the closest dealer is about a 40 minute drive.

Old 08-12-2020, 03:27 PM
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Had carpet replaced under warranty. It's a known issue.

The following users liked this post:
usgpru27 (01-28-2022)
Old 08-12-2020, 07:09 PM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

2017 SVR here. Replaced under warranty. Fixed the problem.

Old 08-12-2020, 11:10 PM
Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

i had the same thing on my new 2018 R. fixed under warranty.

Old 08-13-2020, 08:10 AM

Interesting. Did they replace the whole carpet on each of yours?

Old 08-13-2020, 08:19 AM
Received 143 Likes on 72 Posts

Had the same issue in the same spot nitro28 and I found a small piece of black installation foam similar to what you would place around a window AC unit. Some massaging and a little touch up on the foam with a black sharpie and you can't tell unless you're looking for it. My car is still under warranty and I may eventually get the carpet replaced but this was a temporary improvement that works for me.

nitro28 (08-13-2020)
Old 08-14-2020, 03:06 PM

i don't think they replaced the carpet. i think they took off the center console and re-jiggered the carpet so it was attached.

Old 08-15-2020, 10:52 AM
Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts

I have the same issue my16 s coupe, looks exactly the same very small area on passenger side (LHD ) Questions They removed the center console, from the front where the shifter is to the rear cubby compartment, is this correct? They replaced entire carpet on some cars and on others probably stretched carpet to secure under console? Appears carpet was cut short so it doesn’t stay under console. Did they remove the seats? How long was the car in the shop? Under warranty so not a fitment issue? To be honest I’m reluctant to have them remove console, seats and replace as factory installed. I value your comments.
Frank Hudson Valley NY
MY16 S coupe storm grey with brogue interior ivory stitching performance seats

Old 08-15-2020, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by frank barone
I have the same issue my16 s coupe, looks exactly the same very small area on passenger side (LHD ) Questions They removed the center console, from the front where the shifter is to the rear cubby compartment, is this correct? They replaced entire carpet on some cars and on others probably stretched carpet to secure under console? Appears carpet was cut short so it doesn’t stay under console. Did they remove the seats? How long was the car in the shop? Under warranty so not a fitment issue? To be honest I’m reluctant to have them remove console, seats and replace as factory installed. I value your comments.
Frank Hudson Valley NY
MY16 S coupe storm grey with brogue interior ivory stitching performance seats
it was about 10 months ago but my recollection is that they took out the passenger seat and the whole center console, then stretched the carpet somehow to make it all fit again. it was under warranty and it looked better, so i didn't really ask about more details. i will say that the final result seemed "pretty good", but it's clear that the carpet isn't welded on there, it's on there but i wouldn't be surprised if it separated. at the time my car had been in the shop a bunch chasing rattles so for the carpet i figured it was "good enough". on the bright side, they did fix the rattles and i haven't been back in the shop since then.

Old 08-15-2020, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,361 Posts

If I had this problem, I would simply glue the carpet down. There is no way I would have the interior taken apart for such a minor issue - there are simply too many things that could subsequently be more, much more, of an issue that a bit of loose carpeting.

Old 08-15-2020, 11:15 PM
Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts

Thank you!, after reading how they fixed the carpet issue? and understanding the process of taking apart the interior console, removing the seat I’ve come to the conclusion that regardless of warranty repair it’s just not worth it.
Sometimes it’s better to live with a very minor issue (that nobody sees) fix it yourself and save yourself grief with worse issues if they botched the repair. Thank you again for confirming my understanding for this repair.
Frank
this forum is great with knowledgeable owners who share their experiences

Old 08-17-2020, 05:22 PM
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I waited about 6 weeks for the carpet to come in they replaced both sides. Once we brought the car in waited about 2 weeks for install but I also had the hood adjusted. Since we had a loaner it wasn't that big a deal. $60K car I don't want to see a gap where the carpet doesn't fit.

Last edited by pjazz; 08-17-2020 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-22-2020, 04:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default carpet pulling away issues

Just got a used 2017. I mentioned it to the sales guy and before you new it they had set up an appointment. It’s being replaced under warranty. I have full confidence in that it’ll be done correctly, after all they WANT my business and to sell me a NEW car in the future.

I post how it went and how well they cater to my needs!

Old 08-23-2020, 08:35 AM
Received 82 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
If I had this problem, I would simply glue the carpet down. There is no way I would have the interior taken apart for such a minor issue - there are simply too many things that could subsequently be more, much more, of an issue that a bit of loose carpeting.
I agree - a little Goop would do the trick.

Old 08-23-2020, 08:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default carpet

Originally Posted by RIRR
I agree - a little Goop would do the trick.
I would glue it but there’s not enough carpet to pull up to cover gap ( about an inch) sadly, this is a defect that can’t be fixed with glue

Old 08-23-2020, 10:33 AM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Correct

Old 08-24-2020, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by ovrpar6
I would glue it but there’s not enough carpet to pull up to cover gap ( about an inch) sadly, this is a defect that can’t be fixed with glue
Yes, its a carpet piece that is cut incorrectly so glue won't work. I haven't decided what I am going to do yet but since the carpet pad it yellow, it definitely sticks out in my all black interior. Annoying! Thanks for the input everyone.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:54 AM
Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by ovrpar6
Just got a used 2017. I mentioned it to the sales guy and before you new it they had set up an appointment. It’s being replaced under warranty. I have full confidence in that it’ll be done correctly, after all they WANT my business and to sell me a NEW car in the future.

I post how it went and how well they cater to my needs!
Best of luck with that and I would never aim to diminish expectations, but many service representatives don't see the connection between how well they do their job and treat customers and their likelihood of buying in the future. It's really a shame because what a lot of car people don't get is that the sales experience is stressful/fun/exciting etc. but ultimately only lasts a few hours (unless you love marathon negotiations) - once complete, your main interaction is with the service department. When I sold cars, I always introduced customers to the service department and even the lead technicians - it was a great chance to show them that we had highly-trained and competent people and I would always offer to help schedule service appointments if needed to ensure a "warm hand-off". Just thought I would mention that since in the end of your post you mentioned that you would report on how well they cater to your needs - maybe just semantics, but they are there to service the car, not cater to needs and I have not yet seen a positive correlation between the price/value of a car and quality of service received. As far as my local JLR dealer, they are flat-out embarrassing - the service staff is quick to dismiss concerns, always takes days to complete even minor repairs (i.e 5 days for an oil change and alignment and 5 days to fix the center vent - both with appointments). My most recent visit was excellent, they had a Volvo service writer filling in for my usual guy and I met the service manager who finally resolved the "free" service that I was charged for and then told I couldn't have my car until I paid. I'm always hopeful for a good experience and try to treat the folks there well so that they will hopefully treat me and my car the same. Just remember, your car and personal satisfaction are not as big a priority to the dealer as it is you - not saying it's right, just saying that it is usually the reality. Best of luck.

Ichi Ban (10-12-2020)

Quick Reply: Carpet pulling away by center console?