F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carpet pulling away by center console?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 09:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with what you said. My attempt at mild sarcasm fell flat at the end.

Old 10-01-2020, 02:17 PM

well I the dealer finally got the carpeting in from across the pond. Everything went well starting with the valet pick up (left me with a Land Rover) at 9am and dropped myJag off at 4pm. Looks perfect no issues. Passenger seat works exactly the same. Hard to tell other than the fact I can't see the tear that they did anything. Very satisfied.

The following users liked this post:
scm (10-01-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 12:10 PM
Received 377 Likes on 174 Posts

I have this exact issue and I have had my center console mostly pulled out when I was doing an Apple CarPlay install. The carpet itself is cut awkward. I never had it fixed under warranty, but seeing others have, I may take it in. Really not a big deal for them to fix this unless they decide to replace the entire carpet. That would be a royal pain I am sure and probably would decline it. Mine is not as bad as this picture, but very much the same issue.

Old 10-05-2020, 03:33 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I mentioned this in an earlier post but I have the same issue and my dealer took one look at it and said oh yes another badly cut carpet - will order you a new one, however they are on back order and have no idea when we will get it.

The warranty covers it though and while it is a minor blemish I think the car deserves to be right.

Old 10-05-2020, 03:49 PM
Default Royal pain?

all they did was remove the seat. Easy peasy

Originally Posted by skizot
I have this exact issue and I have had my center console mostly pulled out when I was doing an Apple CarPlay install. The carpet itself is cut awkward. I never had it fixed under warranty, but seeing others have, I may take it in. Really not a big deal for them to fix this unless they decide to replace the entire carpet. That would be a royal pain I am sure and probably would decline it. Mine is not as bad as this picture, but very much the same issue.

Old 11-01-2020, 12:10 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The carpet only took a couple of weeks to come in and the dealer kept the car for a day and replaced both sides under warranty, look great now no problems at all.

Mahjik (11-01-2020)
Old 12-21-2020, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 F type

My 2017 F type jaguar has 32500 miles on it and the carpet has pulled away from the center console on the passenger side. I had it in for service this week and they just told me that the carpet is not under warranty. They offered to try and pull it back up but would have to remove the seat and the labor would be $365. If that didn't work, he said they can replace the carpet fro approx $1200. He said this just isn't covered after 12,000 miles. I cannot believe this!

Originally Posted by nitro28
My carpet is pulling away near the driver's seatbelt. Is this something any of you have had to deal with? The carpet doesn't seem to be loose enough to be pulled up at all so not sure what the fix it. But given my car only has 5000 miles its pretty annoying to look at.
Car0et

Old 12-21-2020, 04:19 PM
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like BS to me. Our car had about 14,500 when the carpet was replaced. I'd go through warranty docs. Isn't there a number to call for customer service?

Last edited by pjazz; 12-21-2020 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-21-2020, 05:37 PM
Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Carpet

I have the same issue, passenger side carpet gap by center console. I decided to have it inspected by Paramus Jaguar and they have decided to replace the carpet. They’re waiting for the carpet to come in and gave me a tentative date for service. It is covered under warranty and so should yours. Good luck.
Frank

Carbuff2 (12-24-2020)
Old 01-17-2021, 03:21 PM
A O
Default 2017 F-Type S Carpet Detaching Known Issue

I recently purchased a used 2017 AWD F-Type S with less than 14,000 miles in beautiful condition. The original owner loved the vehicle so much that he left the clear plastic on all of the interior parts, had it wrapped in 3M, and made sure to service the vehicle per Jaguar's guidelines. The reason for the background info has to do with the carpet. I looked for over six months for the right car for me, and found out that these vehicles had a few known issues. Southern heat melted or made tacky some of the parts, and the carpet would shrink or pull away. Knowing the carpet was a known issue covered under warranty I was not concerned. Well, I took the vehicle to the dealership for a battery issue, and explained that I would also need the carpet taken care of. The technician told my service representative that someone "cut," my carpet. When I explained that this was not the case, that this was a known issue, he argued with me. I calmly explained that the carpet is, as he could clearly see, by design, and that the carpet has not been altered. Can those of you who have had your carpet replaced, please post or email the photos of your before carpet? Thank you in advance for any assistance you may offer.

Old 01-19-2021, 06:14 PM

Update on my carpet replacement. I brought my car in on 1/12/21 at 11am and took a loaner car home. I requested that while car was in shop that they could inspect all coolant lines. AJ my service advisor called me at 5:30pm (1/12/21) and said car was all done (they replaced passenger side carpet) and that I could pick her up the next day at 2pm, he wanted to confirm coolant pressure test held at 19 lbs. The carpet looks perfect and no coolant leaks. You can magnify the area around the seat belt receptacle.

The following 2 users liked this post by frank barone:
A O (01-21-2021), Mbourne (01-19-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 10:58 AM
A O

I LOVE the brogue interior, and thank you for sharing the photo. I received a phone call from the service manager of the dealership who was incredibly apologetic for my experience at their dealership. He has ordered my new carpet, as well as a new key (because I need a second one), for my experience. He has also provided me with a new representative, and Jaguar USA gave me a gift certificate. They really take their customer service seriously, and I am incredibly grateful for that. Also, your post helped. It is important to have other owners with similar experiences, in order to provide evidence to the service department.

Old 01-21-2021, 12:09 PM

Happy you had a good outcome. My experiences have been very positive and I also received a gift certificate from JLR for a issue that happened over a year ago. All good!
Frank

Old 01-21-2022, 12:34 PM
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Finally found this thread! QUESTION: I am scheduled to drop my 2017 F Type at JLR Las Vegas for Carpet Warranty work also....same problem. With my warranty expiring in July 2022 are there any suggestions concerning the dealer looking into anything else while I am there? i.e. Diff Fluid Check or replace?
Thank you in advance.

Old 01-22-2022, 09:03 AM
Received 256 Likes on 130 Posts

Have a CPO.....contacted my dealer and the GM has noted to me that it is not covered. Anyone have a solution that is shall we say less than 1200....I may go to a car upholstery shop that will do this probably for 5c on the dollar....anyone know what the maker of the carpet is.....my carpet is black 2016.....so probably the simplest match possible so in my favor.....

Anyway, before I do a lot of stuff, can these things get fixed by moving the carpet that is there back into place often or is it the exception to be able to fix it without carpet replacement?

TIA

jb

Old 01-22-2022, 10:18 AM

Hi Sparky and JCB, when my bumper to bumper warranty was expiring, I brought my car in for every perceived and actual issues, including differential whine and carpet separation. I wanted a visit documentation in the event the issues manifested at a later time. I brought the differential whine to their attention (every appointment, you know your own car and the noise it make) and they said tire noise, it wasn’t until the whine got louder and I recorded the whine on my phone that they finally accepted the issue and they replaced the differential. The carpet no a no brainer, this forum actually brought this warranty issue to my attention , thank you owners. While under warranty have them check everything, coolant system, differential leaks, and everything you think should be checked. JCB don’t hesitate to contact JLR corporate and request their review of a known warranty issue. JLR sent me a gift certificate to cover the cost of replacing a ride height sensor damaged over a year when my car was flat bedded back to me, the operator when using hooks broke the sensor, dealer said they couldn’t cover cost as it was not a warranty issue. I notified JLR with excellent results. I hope this helps, good luck.
Frank
​​​​​​,

Sparky H (01-22-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by frank barone
Hi Sparky and JCB, when my bumper to bumper warranty was expiring, I brought my car in for every perceived and actual issues, including differential whine and carpet separation. I wanted a visit documentation in the event the issues manifested at a later time. I brought the differential whine to their attention (every appointment, you know your own car and the noise it make) and they said tire noise, it wasn’t until the whine got louder and I recorded the whine on my phone that they finally accepted the issue and they replaced the differential. The carpet no a no brainer, this forum actually brought this warranty issue to my attention , thank you owners. While under warranty have them check everything, coolant system, differential leaks, and everything you think should be checked. JCB don’t hesitate to contact JLR corporate and request their review of a known warranty issue. JLR sent me a gift certificate to cover the cost of replacing a ride height sensor damaged over a year when my car was flat bedded back to me, the operator when using hooks broke the sensor, dealer said they couldn’t cover cost as it was not a warranty issue. I notified JLR with excellent results. I hope this helps, good luck.
Frank
​​​​​​,
One more suggestion that I have read on this forum, some owners have used a black magic marker on the carpet cut to mask the issue. Blends in and your eyes aren't directed to a defect, kinda of blends in. Also stretching and gluing might work. Upholstery shop is worth while pursuing IMHO

Old 01-22-2022, 10:25 PM
Received 163 Likes on 104 Posts

I have a solution if your car is out of warranty. I have not had to do this myself as have not had the issue but should be relatively simple fix maybe 4/10 on DIY scale.

Simply need the same piece of carpet to fill the defect
Easiest is cutting some from your own car rather than trying to match 3rd party carpet - either from front top of footwell carpet or from behind the seats where it goes under the speaker baffles if you know how to remove them. Search the threads on this. There is plenty of excess carpet that you can access here that is not needed as behind the baffle.

Remove the trim panel above the carpet defect with a trim tool and pulling away form the centre tunnel. You don’t need to remove the seats, just slide then back when loosening the front half and moving seat forward when loosening the back half of this piece.
Use contact adhesive on the back of the carpet part that has pulled away
Use contact adhesive on a moderately stiff backing material obviously large enough to stick behind your original carpet edge and extra for new carpet piece and wide enough so it will end up behind the trim piece and once surfaces are joined together.Once adhesive is tack dry just apply them together
Use contact adhesive on your repair piece of carpet
Obviously try and match the shape of your repair piece to the defect you are try to fill
Stick the repair piece to the backing material
Reassemble everything and should be invisible.
Won’t work if you don’t use the backing piece to extend the edge of the carpet. Using same carpet the seam should be invisible

Last edited by Borbor; 01-22-2022 at 10:28 PM.
jcb-memphis (01-22-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 10:58 PM
Received 256 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Borbor
I have a solution if your car is out of warranty. I have not had to do this myself as have not had the issue but should be relatively simple fix maybe 4/10 on DIY scale.

Simply need the same piece of carpet to fill the defect
Easiest is cutting some from your own car rather than trying to match 3rd party carpet - either from front top of footwell carpet or from behind the seats where it goes under the speaker baffles if you know how to remove them. Search the threads on this. There is plenty of excess carpet that you can access here that is not needed as behind the baffle.

Remove the trim panel above the carpet defect with a trim tool and pulling away form the centre tunnel. You don’t need to remove the seats, just slide then back when loosening the front half and moving seat forward when loosening the back half of this piece.
Use contact adhesive on the back of the carpet part that has pulled away
Use contact adhesive on a moderately stiff backing material obviously large enough to stick behind your original carpet edge and extra for new carpet piece and wide enough so it will end up behind the trim piece and once surfaces are joined together.Once adhesive is tack dry just apply them together
Use contact adhesive on your repair piece of carpet
Obviously try and match the shape of your repair piece to the defect you are try to fill
Stick the repair piece to the backing material
Reassemble everything and should be invisible.
Won’t work if you don’t use the backing piece to extend the edge of the carpet. Using same carpet the seam should be invisible

Brilliant....thank you,

Have basic black carpet from 2016...anyone know the OEM just for smiles. I once found the carpet for a prior car and it was a lot cheaper than one would expect.....like 20x less than the dealer wanted.

Old 01-23-2022, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts

some owners have used a black magic marker on the carpet cut to mask the issue.
On one of our cars (YEARS off warranty, tho' I routinely nag my friend the factory rep about stuff like that ) the edge welting of many of the carpet pieces was fading to tan (originally black).

While a marker will work for a while, brush-painting with black paint will last for YEARS and YEARS.
I sprayed some black spray paint that I had already into a glass jar , then brushed it on, masking the areas that made me nervous.