F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CarPlay retrofit for F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2024, 11:47 AM
Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

In addition to the question asked above I have a few more.
I am considering either the system that adds Carplay to the original screen or the Android upgrade.
Can you tell me is there a difference in how the parking sensors work, now when pulling in somewhere I simply press the Parking button, how would this function with your two systems?
What is the start up times for the two systems, is the Android considerably slower?
How much power does the Android system draw when the car is shut down?
I assume both support wireless carplay?
How does the Android system receive android updates, are the updates vetted by you first?
What is AR real scene nav and do i need to add additional item for it to function?
Finally I have been unable to find a youtube video outlining the full of the installation of the two systems, can you provide a link if one exists?

Thanks,

The following 2 users liked this post by Tayls77:
Supersprint Sport Exhausts (07-27-2024), Turko (07-27-2024)
Old 07-28-2024, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 390 Posts

It would be amazing if someone has done a comparison table of all these different options. I don't think any are 'perfect' but it seems like there are some very good options now. Different users will care about different features (eg skip forward and back in CarPlay doesn't matter if you're an android not iPhone user etc).
I'd love an accurate view on what the tradeoffs / issues or glitches are in each option eg the two discussed here by the sponsor, for UAD, Aliexpress

Anyone done this sort of comparison

Am also v interested if anyone here has fitted the 10.25inch screen upgrade. Think it would be excellent but unsure of the install complexity and how functionality is in practice.

The following 2 users liked this post by BritCars:
Supersprint Sport Exhausts (07-28-2024), WayneB (07-28-2024)
Old 07-29-2024, 05:46 AM
Sponsor
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bierry
CARPUTECH - Does your Bosch-compatible version (i.e. 2015, 2016) also have this issue from other vendors' Carplay/Android systems for the F Type: Touch screen stops responding if vehicle's DYNAMIC MODE is selected, and is in 'USER' configuration (example: Engine=dynamic; Steering=normal; Transmission=dynamic; Steering=normal)?
Hello, we have not had any customer feedback about "Touch screen stops responding" so far.
Many friends in this forum have purchased our modules. Maybe you can ask them if they have encountered such a situation.

Carputech is a manufacturer dedicated to providing OEM factory-integrated navigation systems(Carplay Upgrade Modules), Carplay adapters, and aftermarket CarPlay/Android Auto systems for various vehicle brands.
Web : www.carputech.com E-mail : support@Carputech.com
Welcome any inquires. Thank you.
Old 07-29-2024, 07:44 AM
Received 231 Likes on 131 Posts
Default carputech customers......

Originally Posted by carputech
Hello, we have not had any customer feedback about "Touch screen stops responding" so far.
Many friends in this forum have purchased our modules. Maybe you can ask them if they have encountered such a situation.

According to the sponsor there are several message board members that have the Car play kit. Why hasn't anyone given their review of this kit.

Please come forward and tell us your opinion on the Car play kit you installed into your F Type sports car. We'd like to hear from you please.

Old 07-29-2024, 08:05 AM
Received 63 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Borbor
how can any vendor answer such a loaded question. They are willing to offer free return and be subject to the scrutiny of the forum. I thinks that’s fair enough.

Asking any aftermarket option - whether it’s VAP or Supersprint or someone else to guarantee perfection is ridiculous really. What is perfection ? Glitch free - fair enough but is it perfect if it’s response time to input tis >50 nanoseconds . Or it takes 1.5 seconds to change to phone option , or the unit remains under 70 deg Celsius when operating. How does it compare to other units in these stats etc and if not better how can they say they are perfect. It’s a question that can’t be answered

Anyone who is developing and spending money and becoming a sponsor should be given the benefit of doubt. If their product is crap it will quickly become self evident and they will sink. The fact they are risking their reputation here and willing to stand behind their product (even if not much different from the other systems out there) automatically puts them infront of the other internet sellers out there already in my eyes.
Gotta say I agree, they've been nothing but transparent and answering all the relevant questions. Honestly sounds like someone else may actually have the agenda...

Old 07-29-2024, 03:57 PM
Received 231 Likes on 131 Posts
Default really .... ?!?!??!

Originally Posted by bfrank1972
Gotta say I agree, they've been nothing but transparent and answering all the relevant questions. Honestly sounds like someone else may actually have the agenda...

Absolutely RIDICULOUS speculation.
I'm in the marble business my friend nothing to do with cars, car audio or electronics.

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-21-2024, 08:19 PM
Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

OK CARPUTECH! I took your bait and bit. See Post # 7. I sent you my money along with pictures of the main screen unit, the rear Bosch unit, and the fact I had a 17 Coupe F-type. Received the unit about 10 days later. Got around today to do the install. You apparently have either made the main harness to short ( by at least a foot ) or sent me the wrong one. I even had to unwrap some of the wiring and it took every inch to just connect it. See my attached pictures. I have fed the harness through the farthest hole back I could get and had to slip the other end over top of the Bosch Unit and could barely get it plugged in. Look where you unit connection is. It is supposed to be toward the front side. It is at my seat. No way will the unit fit beside my seat and I'm sure my side moulding piece will not fit back in place. .I would like to see you make this right ASAP and felt this was my only way to get in touch with you. Also so other fellow Jag owners see what the outcome this is going to be. Jeff Baker Order #CP81273

Old 08-21-2024, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short wire shenanigans

I think some units come with a shorter wire for some reason. If you're like me, you tried to run the cable in the most logical place, around the back where there's an opening. But no, that's not where I had to run it. If you take off the climate controls, and the box behind it, there are two small openings underneath. (The driver side hole actually has more space but that's not the side you put the unit on) You have to run the cable through the one closest to the unit. It's a really tight to get your hand under there to feed the cable, but once you run it through there the cable is long enough.

I think a lot of these companies just copy each other imperfections and all.

This video helped me:

Old 08-21-2024, 09:00 PM

Well I did remove the climate controls and ran the wire through the holes you described. But look at the harness. If I would have the extra room to pull the plug, and insert it in the back of the Bosch unit, the control unit connection would then land in the middle of my seat instead of the front of it where it now is. The unit connection should be toward the front of the console so if fits correctly between the carpet. By the way, I used the same video you attached.

Last edited by Rondog; 08-21-2024 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-22-2024, 12:25 AM
Sponsor
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rondog
OK CARPUTECH! I took your bait and bit. See Post # 7. I sent you my money along with pictures of the main screen unit, the rear Bosch unit, and the fact I had a 17 Coupe F-type. Received the unit about 10 days later. Got around today to do the install. You apparently have either made the main harness to short ( by at least a foot ) or sent me the wrong one. I even had to unwrap some of the wiring and it took every inch to just connect it. See my attached pictures. I have fed the harness through the farthest hole back I could get and had to slip the other end over top of the Bosch Unit and could barely get it plugged in. Look where you unit connection is. It is supposed to be toward the front side. It is at my seat. No way will the unit fit beside my seat and I'm sure my side moulding piece will not fit back in place. .I would like to see you make this right ASAP and felt this was my only way to get in touch with you. Also so other fellow Jag owners see what the outcome this is going to be. Jeff Baker Order #CP81273

Yes, the audio cable is a bit short, we will resend you a longer audio cable.
Thank you for your feedback, I will ask them to provide a longer audio cable for the F-Type model in the future.

Carputech is a manufacturer dedicated to providing OEM factory-integrated navigation systems(Carplay Upgrade Modules), Carplay adapters, and aftermarket CarPlay/Android Auto systems for various vehicle brands.
Web : www.carputech.com E-mail : support@Carputech.com
Welcome any inquires. Thank you.
The following 2 users liked this post by carputech:
Carbuff2 (08-22-2024), HyltofWills (08-22-2024)
Old 08-22-2024, 05:49 AM

Well I did remove the climate controls and ran the wire through the holes you described. But look at the harness. If I would have the extra room to pull the plug, and insert it in the back of the Bosch unit, the control unit connection would then land in the middle of my seat instead of the front of it where it now is. The unit connection should be toward the front of the console so if fits correctly between the carpet. By the way, I used the same video you attached.
Thanks for posting this Rondog! I was planning on ordering this weekend as they are one of the few companies that handles the Canadian duties. I will follow and see if they correct your issue before ordering. If they do could you also post following installation? I would love to know that when in CarPlay, if you press the parking sensors if they come up right away or if you have to manually exit CarPlay first. They say it works on 95% of cars but I would love to know if it works on ours. Thanks for being the Guinea pig!

The following 2 users liked this post by Tayls77:
HyltofWills (08-22-2024), Supersprint Sport Exhausts (08-22-2024)
Old 08-22-2024, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member

Please do post how it works. Functionality. Any issues. Do steering volume/track controls work in CarPlay. Etc
I would love to put one of these in but hoping for a well functioning review first

The following 3 users liked this post by BritCars:
Carbuff2 (08-23-2024), Supersprint Sport Exhausts (08-23-2024), WayneB (08-23-2024)
Old 08-23-2024, 04:38 PM

I just hope CARPUTECH will expedite the correct harness within the next couple of days as I don't want to have to put my car back together then tear it apart again. I will get back to everyone's questions to let them know how this works out and if the features work. Stay Tuned!!!

Old 08-24-2024, 11:24 AM
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Hi @Rondog would you mind letting us know if your module’s becomes unresponsive after you put your Dynamic Mode in ‘User Setup’?

I just tried a similar unit from another vendor on AliExpress and sadly, the UI freezes whenever Dynamic Mode is in ‘My setup’. Dynamic Mode need not even be on; just the underlying setting is 'My setup'. Thanks.

Video

Last edited by Bierry; 08-24-2024 at 12:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bierry:
Simonusa0 (08-28-2024), Supersprint Sport Exhausts (08-24-2024)
Old 08-25-2024, 12:13 PM

LATEST UPDATE!!!! REFUND REQUESTED! CARPUTECH and fellow Forum users. Today I decided I would try to answer some of the questions that have been requested. Even though I am unable to insert the control unit between the seat and the console I did however stretch the wires long enough to hook up the unit. After doing so, this is the results that I got: #1. NO Wireless. Would only connect if I had my phone plugged into the USB cable. #2. No steering wheel control buttons would change the volume or station. I didn't even check the parking sensors or the Dynamic controls as I was pretty disappointed at this stage in the game. So Carputech unless you are able to send me a fully tested unit with a correct wiring harness ,I am requesting you provide me with a postage paid return label so I can return this unit and receive a full refund, as it is not working as described in your advertisement. Harness is not made correctly to properly install in the F-Type, Wireless does not respond. Phone info only works if plugged into USB. Steering wheel controls do not respond. Really disappointed.

Old 08-25-2024, 01:39 PM
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

LATEST UPDATE!!!! REFUND REQUESTED! CARPUTECH and fellow Forum users. Today I decided I would try to answer some of the questions that have been requested. Even though I am unable to insert the control unit between the seat and the console I did however stretch the wires long enough to hook up the unit. After doing so, this is the results that I got: #1. NO Wireless. Would only connect if I had my phone plugged into the USB cable. #2. No steering wheel control buttons would change the volume or station. I didn't even check the parking sensors or the Dynamic controls as I was pretty disappointed at this stage in the game. So Carputech unless you are able to send me a fully tested unit with a correct wiring harness ,I am requesting you provide me with a postage paid return label so I can return this unit and receive a full refund, as it is not working as described in your advertisement. Harness is not made correctly to properly install in the F-Type, Wireless does not respond. Phone info only works if plugged into USB. Steering wheel controls do not respond. Really disappointed.
I’m returning my similar unit from another vendor because of the screen freeze when My Setup is enabled in Dynamic, but FWIW I confirmed the harness length, wireless CarPlay and all its other functionality as well as car functions are good if you use Factory Setup.

Last edited by Bierry; 08-25-2024 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-25-2024, 02:42 PM

Sorry this has happened to you Rondog, but I really appreciate you posting, saved me a similar fate to yours. I hope you see your refund quickly.

Old 08-27-2024, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear that. To clarify is the unit you got the one that just plugs into the existing small screen of the unit that replaces screen and batteries with a larger screen?

Did you get a refund? Or are they sending you a tested replacement? I am still curious to see if it's just a faulty unit or a product issue..

Old 08-27-2024, 09:34 PM

Britcars:

No that is not my unit that you described. If you look at my pictures, I am using my stock 8" screen where a harness plugs into the back of it on one end, then plugs into the Bosch unit at the end of the console with their unit being in the middle. I have not heard back from Carputech. I posted here so they could see it, I have also sent a request via their support.com on Sunday and today. Still nothing. I was hoping they would step up and admit they sent me a wrong unit and harness and ship out a replacement. I felt they were an upstanding company by the way they presented themselves here. But I am now thinking I probably got screwed royal. Not even a refund. Will probably have to have Paypal or Discover get involved to get my money back. So much for being the Guinea Pig!!

Old 08-27-2024, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear that. Hope they are just behind on the responses and will do right by you

Thanks for clarification on the unit - as you figured I was trying to ask if this was the 8inch 'behind the scenes' adaptor OR the full screen replacement. But autocorrect changed my "or" to "of" and jumbled it!

Good luck with refunds. Sad as I was considering their whole screen option but this looks like too much hassle..

Quick Reply: CarPlay retrofit for F-Type