F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CarPlay Wireless Dongle CPLAY2air or CarlinKit ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 10:43 AM
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CarPlay Wireless Dongle CPLAY2air or CarlinKit ?

Is anyone using a dongle like CPLAY2air or CarlinKit in order to use CarPlay wirelessly? I am getting tired of the cord to use CarPlay, when I want my phone out of the console. (However, when I want to stream hi res audio I may need to plug it in anyway). Of course I am assuming the Jaguar does not support wireless CarPlay in a 2020.

Last edited by FarSide; 04-25-2021 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-25-2021, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by FarSide
Is anyone using a dongle like CPLAY2air or CarlinKit in order to use CarPlay wirelessly? I am getting tired of the cord to use CarPlay, when I want my phone out of the console. (However, when I want to stream hi res audio I may need to plug it in anyway). Of course I am assuming the Jaguar does not support wireless CarPlay in a 2020.

I installed one of these. It takes a few moments to connect but works fine.
Be careful to order the same exact model. I ordered a slightly different model that did not work.
Strongly suggest buying from Amazaon , not direct from manufacturere (in China) to facilitate returns if needed.
Price about $125.

Wireless CarPlay Adapter Carlinkit 2.0 Wired to Wireless CarPlay/Compatible with Factory Carplay Cars Audi/Porsche/Volvo/Volkswagen etc, Wireless Carplay Dongle, CPC200-U2W-Plus, Type C Design Black

Old 04-26-2021, 09:36 AM
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

I tried the CPLAY2air and couldn't get it to automatically connect in my 2020 GMC Sierra. Worked with them via email but could not get it resolved and CJSJAG is correct about ordering from Amazon. I ordered two directly from them and am stuck with them since it costs more to send them back than they are worth. I have not tried one in the F-Type. If you subscribe to data in the car for the in car wifi, I don't think you'll be able to use it with the wireless car play as wireless car play used wifi for its connection.

The following users liked this post:
FarSide (04-26-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member

With the Carlinkit version I specified, I have had good luck.
Set-up was easy and it usually connects automatically once the phone is in the car.
Occasionally, I need to "reboot" the dongle by unplugging/plugging into the car's USB socket to establish the connection.
Also, I think it prefers the phone to be in the car when you activate or start the car.
Overall I would give it 9/10 stars.

The following users liked this post:
FarSide (04-26-2021)
Old 03-31-2022, 12:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

98% of the time my carlinkit3.0 works great. No issues, automatically connect and starts playing music, all smooth. Music is on before I can get out of my garage. ive had a few moments of connections issues, sometimes resulting in it rebooting itself and fixing the issues. be careful with using other USB cords, I had some issues after I changed to another cord, but switched back and the issues went away. Used in a 2021 F-Pace
https://autokitcarplay.com/blogs/aut...oduct-u2w-plus

Old 03-31-2022, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member

I just added an Ekyro garage door opener.
Now the car connects to Carplay via the Carlinkit dongle AND Siri opens the garage door on command.
How good is that??

Old 03-31-2022, 10:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
I just added an Ekyro garage door opener.
Now the car connects to Carplay via the Carlinkit dongle AND Siri opens the garage door on command.
How good is that??
Sounds good, but would you please describe in detail?

Old 04-01-2022, 05:11 AM
Veteran Member

https://carlinkitcarplay.com/product...BoCuoEQAvD_BwE

https://ekyro.com/

These 2 sites explain the 2 items needed:

Carlinkit provides a wireless connection between your phone and the car's Carplay system. You simply plug the Carlinkit "dongle" into one of the center USB slots.
It automatically detects and connects with your phone and avoids you having to plug your phone into the same USB slot every time you want to use Siri or Alexa on Carplay.
I normally use Siri for voice command navigation, for example, and the Google maps are generally up-to-date, more so than the JLR maps, plus they are free if your JLR nav updates are no longer FOC.
"
The Ekyro garage door opener is a small module that you can install that allows you to tell Siri or Alexa to open and close your garage door. So you can do that using your phone or via the Carplay system. "Hey Siri - open my garage door".
It requires you to do a minimal amount of wiring to connect the Ekyro module to your exiting door opener but the on-line instructions are the best I have ever seen. As they say "even a cave man can do it" -provided he has a screwdriver and a ladder!!

Hope this all helps.
You can also use Waze if you prefer.

The following 2 users liked this post by CJSJAG:
Jdwoody17 (04-12-2022), Seden Jay (04-07-2022)