F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cat replacement impact on exhaust sound?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2022, 10:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Cat replacement impact on exhaust sound?

Hello, I'm (still) looking to buy a used 2014 F-type V8 and just found a good model from a dealer out-of-state. The dealer told me the car has an "aftermarket cat", but couldn't give me more details other than everything else - downpipes, muffler, etc. - is OEM. Questions:
  1. Can a "cat only" replacement without a change of downpipes and mufflers alter/dampen the stock exhaust sound?
  2. Could this have an impact on emissions/smog tests? (I live in California)
  3. How can I/dealer find out what exact type of cat was installed without having a mechanic take it apart?
Thanks!

Old 11-13-2022, 10:31 AM
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by gitbrutus
Hello, I'm (still) looking to buy a used 2014 F-type V8 and just found a good model from a dealer out-of-state. The dealer told me the car has an "aftermarket cat", but couldn't give me more details other than everything else - downpipes, muffler, etc. - is OEM. Questions:
  1. Can a "cat only" replacement without a change of downpipes and mufflers alter/dampen the stock exhaust sound?
  2. Could this have an impact on emissions/smog tests? (I live in California)
  3. How can I/dealer find out what exact type of cat was installed without having a mechanic take it apart?
Thanks!
See if they will snap a pic from underneath for you, we can probably tell what's going on.

Old 11-14-2022, 08:09 AM
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

A great many Aftermarket cats are very likely to cause a failure to pass the test in CA.

Old 11-14-2022, 12:52 PM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Follow these great suggestions, and see what's going on under there. From what I understand about Maseratti's, Jaguar's, etc, the engineers put quite a lot of intention "tuning" that sound we hear in their car. So I imagine swapping out an OEM exhaust pipe for some 3rd-party pipes WOULD affect the exhaust tones.

I've been driving a LOANER F-Pace for a week while my own XE is in the shop. It's a 2023 F-Pace, and I can't hear any of the customary exhaust pitch! I keep asking, "where's the danged notes? It's not a Jaguar without the Jag exhaust tones---What the F---!?"

Old 11-14-2022, 08:01 PM

Turned out it's not just a cat, but a complete magnaflow exhaust system. Was told it's significantly louder than stock. That's quite a statement talking about an F-Type V8... I've decided to not buy it as I wanted to experience the stock exhaust sound, everything else seems over the top as far as I'm concerned.

Old 11-20-2022, 11:05 PM

Update from the seller, it's not a Magnaflow exhaust system after all, just the cat. However, it has aftermarket mufflers as well, but they couldn't identify what brand/model it is. Can anyone identify the mufflers based on these pictures?

Old 11-20-2022, 11:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Update from the seller, it's not a Magnaflow exhaust system after all, just the cat. However, it has aftermarket mufflers as well, but they couldn't identify what brand/model it is. Can anyone identify the mufflers based on these pictures?

The stock F-Type V8 exhaust system does not have mufflers per se, instead it has a single east-west muffler with four separate ends/tips coming out of it, see this post: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...2/#post2010847.
The exception is the SVR exhaust which does have two separate mufflers one each side but it is extremely unlikely that system has been fitted to the car you are looking at as it is eye-wateringly expensive, 10s of thousands of $.
In your pic we can see that the tips are both "one into two" or Y shaped so definitely not stock but we can't see anywhere near enough to identify the muffler(s), you would need to take and post up another pic from underneath.

Old 11-21-2022, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
The stock F-Type V8 exhaust system does not have mufflers per se, instead it has a single east-west muffler with four separate ends/tips coming out of it, see this post: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...2/#post2010847.
The exception is the SVR exhaust which does have two separate mufflers one each side but it is extremely unlikely that system has been fitted to the car you are looking at as it is eye-wateringly expensive, 10s of thousands of $.
In your pic we can see that the tips are both "one into two" or Y shaped so definitely not stock but we can't see anywhere near enough to identify the muffler(s), you would need to take and post up another pic from underneath.
Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures from underneath and they'd have to bring the car to a shop to get it on a lift for more pictures. However, I found something that looks strikingly similar: XFR muffler from "Madness Autoworks":

How likely is it that someone fitted an XFR muffler on there? Would that even work properly? Again, the downpipes and cat were replaced as well.

Old 11-21-2022, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures from underneath and they'd have to bring the car to a shop to get it on a lift for more pictures. However, I found something that looks strikingly similar: XFR muffler from "Madness Autoworks":

How likely is it that someone fitted an XFR muffler on there? Would that even work properly? Again, the downpipes and cat were replaced as well.
That's not a muffler it's just a tip, and yes it's similar to a stock XFR tip, although the pictured tip is slash cut while a stock XFR tip is straight cut. I am very familiar with the stock XFR exhaust system, mufflers and tips as I had a 2010 XFR for a couple of years and fiddled around a fair bit with modifying the exhaust before I then went back to the stock mufflers and tips.
Anyway the idea of fitting twin north/south mufflers to an F-Type V8, such as on the SVR or an XFR, has been discussed before on this forum and AFAIK no-one has ever done it. The main reason is that the whole underside of the rear end is designed for the stock muffler and major structural and bodywork modifications would be needed costing squillions. Either that or fit an SVR system which also costs squillions and may also need structural mods as well.
Also on stock XFR mufflers the "active exhaust" is purely mechanical and the valves are opened by exhaust gas pressure and nothing else and they are not switchable whilst on an F-Type they are operated by either vacuum or little leccy motors and are switchable. On an XFR the evidence of the valves is relatively easy to see on the rears of the mufflers (ie just inboard of the tips) while on a stock F-Type exhaust the valves are either side of the muffler and well inboard and hard to see except from underneath. We can't tell from the pics if the muffler(s) on that car has F-Type style active exhaust valves or not, but it definitely does not have OEM XFR mufflers or exhaust valves.
Bottom line - the car does not have XFR mufflers or tips.

Last edited by OzXFR; 11-21-2022 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-22-2022, 11:22 AM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Yeah, but….. the only prominent reasons why someone would change the mufflers on a Mazeratti, a Jaguar, or most Porsches, is because they want to SEE more dazzling tips coming out the rear end---or--- they can’t hear the musical nature of the exhaust growl and just want “LOUDER” or “RUMBLIER” instead----or---- they damaged or corroded out the original Jaguar muffler, and hoped a less costly replacement manufacturer could “sound just as good”.

I couldn’t drive a Jaguar if it didn’t keep sporadically reminding me it’s a Jaguar with that signature exhaust voice. It’s not about LOUD, it’s something else you can’t pin a word to, only a few makers “autograph” their cars with their own muffler tone, and as OzXFR is starting to prove, it seems to be much more about VALVING than about piping and tips.

Nice educational thread here. Thanks!

Old 11-26-2022, 04:52 AM
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

I have a V8s with Vap cats/downpipes and race exhaust. All is fine along with the tune. The only part that will fail you is the visual inspection. I'm in Norcal

IG @zavatron