Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts
Default CAUTION: Slippery as Snot

PS4S under 30 degF.

Still a joy to drive, though.

Old 12-20-2019, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

I was looking forward to a road trip to Truckee for a wedding a while back but the temperatures dropped 30F in two days preceding, and I wasn't ready to try the tires in snow and sub-freezing temperatures. A Subaru Forester seemed the more prudent choice.

I've read that such temperatures can lead to fracture of the tread blocks, but have no actual experience under those conditions. This is the first car I've shod with proper summer tires. I'd been using premium all-seasons for the last few cars.

Old 12-20-2019, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

We are trying Nitto Motivo UHP All-Season tires for that reason. (Snot is SO disgusting!)

While ultimate grip is sure to be less, it's the BALANCE that makes a car fun to drive. We'll see how the F likes them when the weather warms up.

The wife is the primary driver of our F, and she probably won't notice.

Old 12-20-2019, 03:05 PM
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
PS4S under 30 degF.

Still a joy to drive, though.
Try driving the P zeros at 12 F. We've had a lot of dry, cool (12 is not cold yet by Chicago standards) weather and from the looks of the weather forecast I will enjoy driving the F to IJC holiday party next Saturday the 28th.

Still can't wait to get rid of the P zeros though.

Old 12-20-2019, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

See my "drift car" post!

Old 12-20-2019, 09:06 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts

That is why my rear-wheel-drive V8 F-Type goes up on the lift till spring. You can throw the rear out with just a tap of the throttle at pretty much any speed and the recovery has a lot to do with your skillset and whether you are wearing adult diapers.

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (12-21-2019)
Old 12-21-2019, 10:37 AM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by enderle
That is why my rear-wheel-drive V8 F-Type goes up on the lift till spring. You can throw the rear out with just a tap of the throttle at pretty much any speed and the recovery has a lot to do with your skillset and whether you are wearing adult diapers.
This is completely different to my experience.

Yes, the rear can break traction, but I wouldn't say from tapping the throttle, unless you're driving in slippy conditions with dynamic mode enabled or DSC switched off.

My experience is with DSC in normal mode any tail out action is recovered by the system with little to no driver input, let alone skill required.

I have tested this in suitable conditions by being deliberately heavy footed, DSC works far better than most believe. Take your F type to an airstrip or other non public road and see for yourself.

Additionally if it's extremely slippery with heavy rain or snow then select the snow / rain mode.

The technology referred to above won't convert a RWD V8 into a go anywhere winter transport, even with winter tyres, which I don't have fitted.

Unless you have extremely severe winter weather I don't see a need to have our cars stored in a garage for four to six months of every year.

I enjoy driving my F Type all year round, although I agree it can be more enjoyable in dry summer weather.

Old 12-21-2019, 11:15 AM
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Just swapped out the Pirelli's for some Bridgestone RE980AS. Not the best tire in the snow but we only normally get 2-3 inches in the winter. Also just had some PPF installed on the front of the car so not to worried.

Old 12-21-2019, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Paul_59
This is completely different to my experience.

Yes, the rear can break traction, but I wouldn't say from tapping the throttle, unless you're driving in slippy conditions with dynamic mode enabled or DSC switched off.

My experience is with DSC in normal mode any tail out action is recovered by the system with little to no driver input, let alone skill required.

I have tested this in suitable conditions by being deliberately heavy footed, DSC works far better than most believe. Take your F type to an airstrip or other non public road and see for yourself.

Additionally if it's extremely slippery with heavy rain or snow then select the snow / rain mode.

The technology referred to above won't convert a RWD V8 into a go anywhere winter transport, even with winter tyres, which I don't have fitted.

Unless you have extremely severe winter weather I don't see a need to have our cars stored in a garage for four to six months of every year.

I enjoy driving my F Type all year round, although I agree it can be more enjoyable in dry summer weather.
In my case, I was surprised how wide the tail came out without DSC intervention. Not that it bothered me. Counter-steering as needed is pretty much second nature for me after a half century of adolescent driving. And agreed, a bit of compromised traction during cold weather will not sideline my F-Type. Just adjust the driving accordingly. Only ice or snow will keep mine off the street.

Old 12-21-2019, 06:22 PM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

I recently drove mine on a uncharacteristly cold SoCal morning (45 degrees) and the Michelin PS4S's slipped around felt like I had the Pirelli's back on the car. Will no longer recommend RWD V-8's to novices or those in cold climates!

Old 12-21-2019, 06:26 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts

It may be the difference with the V8 and the active differential but my car is pretty frightening in the cold and it is areally tail-happy on the track. I believe it is the same configuration Top Gear put into the wall on the track. Don't get me wrong it is a ton of fun, and a great car to practice drifting, but keeping control in the cold is just too iffy for me. (And we get both snow and black ice this time of year anyway). They only made my configuration for the first year, from then on you got all-wheel drive if you wanted a V8 and I think that tail-happy problem was the reason. The V6 is a very different car to drive, I think it is the better track car because it is more balanced. But I have to admit that V8 puts a big grin on my face every time I drive it. Sadly I'm likely going to have to sell it, the dealer is 200 miles away and every time there is a recall I lose at least a day getting the work done (and I can't even get to the dealer this time of year because I'm not putting chains on that car and need to in order to get over the pass).

Old 12-22-2019, 10:37 AM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

on a glass door knob.
Let's be complete and accurate.

Old 12-23-2019, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

A seasoned race track driver would be able to control the car on summer tires in cold weather, for anyone else it is outright irresponsible to drive it like that - you are endangering yourself and others on the road.

If apex, weight transfer, and threshold braking are not part of your lexicon - don't try this.

FType17 (12-24-2019)
Old 12-23-2019, 08:11 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

I hope it isn’t a surprise to anyone that summer tires can crack if driven when it’s too cold...
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...king/index.htm

Carbuff2 (12-23-2019)
Old 12-23-2019, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
I hope it isn’t a surprise to anyone that summer tires can crack if driven when it’s too cold...
That was a factor in our decision to go with Nitto Motivo UHP All Seasons. Even though our garage seldom gets below freezing, the winter 'pothole contingency' would require extra flex from those skinny sidewalls.

So, we sacrificed absolute summer grip for cold weather balance and usability. We like to drive our F in the winter (on cleared roads).

Old 12-23-2019, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...king/index.htm
Certainly not a surprise here. 30 degrees is as low as I’ll drive them.

Old 12-23-2019, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
A seasoned race track driver would be able to control the car on summer tires in cold weather, for anyone else it is outright irresponsible to drive it like that - you are endangering yourself and others on the road.

If apex, weight transfer, and threshold braking are not part of your lexicon - don't try this.
I would submit that it is outright irresponsible to drive a car like this under any conditions unless you’re skilled at executing those terms.