F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CCBs Vs. Iron Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 08:00 PM
Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
The appeal to me is the un-sprung weight savings, but at the cost of $200/lb it's not quite justifiable either.
+1 Btw my brakes squeal sometimes and I don't have the CCBS.

Last edited by Dremorg; 01-28-2015 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts
The following users liked this post:
OzRisk (01-29-2015)
Old 01-28-2015, 11:27 PM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
Okay, so good for: track use
Except when the brakes have been used heavily and the nanny inside the F starts squawking a "overheated brakes" warning and limps the car. Happened to me at the Jaguar academy

Old 01-29-2015, 01:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
That's fantastic - thanks so much for taking the time to load it all up!

Old 01-29-2015, 01:13 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

I assume that the carbon ceramic brakes on the F-Type are the same ones that were fitted to the XKR-S GT ?

You would hope that they don't ever wear out...

I don't see the CCB parts listed for the F-Type, but the prices for the XKR-S GT rotors & pads are phenomenal...

Front rotors, T2R13428, $4666 plus tax (this is a "kit" so I assume it's a pair)
Front pad kit, T2R11420, $1800 plus tax
Rear rotors, T2R10306, $4400 plus tax (this is a "kit" so I assume it's a pair)
Rear pad kit, T2R11424, $1800 plus tax

Those are USD prices based on the GBP pricing...

If you ever need to do that pads & rotors on your car, probably a $15K job...

Panthro (10-21-2016)
Old 01-29-2015, 01:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo351
I assume that the carbon ceramic brakes on the F-Type are the same ones that were fitted to the XKR-S GT ?

You would hope that they don't ever wear out...
In the article that shift just posted, Brembo's Giuseppe Micheletti is quoted as saying, "The hardness of the [disc] surface is so high that in road usage it is difficult to generate mechanical wear and disc life is probably longer than vehicle life".

Let's hope that's not just sales speak (he is, after all, somewhat biased). It is not the replacement cost that bothers me on this point - it is the expectations established at time of sale for the total cost of ownership during the period you have the vehicle. My expectations with these CCB's on the R is they should last a LONG time (unless I somehow abuse them).

As I've touched on in previous posts, I have previously needed to purchase 6 Audi steel rotors (4 for the Q7 and 2 on the front for the RS5), with the dealer pressing me to purchase four more for the RS5 at the very next service. This last one was a blatant dealer rip-off attempt, since they told me my fronts needed replacing only 4 months after the prior replacement (with no tracking in between). At AUD$3.5K per pair for the genuine RS5 steel rotors, I was furious.

But the point is, if the dealer openly sets the expectation for you at the time of purchase that you should be contemplating at least one set of rotors every 25,000 km's (for example), then you go into the car purchase with open eyes and wallet ready.

On the other hand, getting a $7k rude surprise 2 years into owning the car is a major negative if you're not expecting it, and makes you feel like you were somewhat exploited by the original salesman.

Rant over...

Old 01-29-2015, 02:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by F-typical

20 consecutive emergency stops from 100 mph.

The iron brakes started to fade after the 13 stop, with stopping distance increasing to 112m from a best of 87m.

The CCBs didn't fade at all.

But: the average stopping distance for the iron brakes over all 20 stops was less than for the CCBs (but only by 0.5m).

So, track use, reduced unsprung weight, and the possibility that you never have to replace them would appear to be the advantages.
Hey, F-Typical - just read Shift's post of the article. Your cited statistics (red above) were wrong.

The steels only averaged better over the "selected 10 best stops", not the whole 20.

As quoted, "the ceramic cars test average was 2.9m shorter than that of the cast iron car".

Also, the cast irons were going in to total failure at the 20th stop, which is why they stopped the test there, I suspect.

Also, I noted they said the ceramics came up to operating temperature in 3 stops, whereas the cast irons took 4 stops to reach operating temp. What they didnt mention anywhere was what was the ambient temperature of the air - I wonder when and where (somewhere in UK, I guess) the test was run and what effect your cold northern climates I keep reading about will have on either set up.

Much to consider (both ways).

I also had to laugh that the opening paragraph says, "evo gives the definitive verdict", but their second last sentence in the article says, "we'll leave you to reach your own verdict as to whether or not that warrants, in the case of the Jaguar, the £7400 outlay"!

Last edited by OzRisk; 01-29-2015 at 07:06 AM. Reason: found the £ sign on my keyboard
Old 01-29-2015, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

I will exercise great caution and do everything in my power to avoid making even one "panic stop" from 100 mph.

The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
F-TypeRookie (01-29-2015), Panthro (10-21-2016)
Old 01-29-2015, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

regarding cost, that's what I've read also. CC are not bad if you amortize over lifetime, BUT, if something goes wrong, then the cost to replace is insane.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
I will exercise great caution and do everything in my power to avoid making even one "panic stop" from 100 mph.
I actually love doing this to test out the brakes and experience deceleration. Maybe not from 100mph but from 60-80mph, either on empty backroads or exiting freeways. Trying to test acceleration on public roads is risky. But exiting a freeway, I love to aggressive brake if no one is behind me. power + braking + handling = sports car, gotta play around with every aspect.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

I actually love doing this to test out the brakes and experience deceleration. Maybe not from 100mph but from 60-80mph, either on empty backroads or exiting freeways. Trying to test acceleration on public roads is risky. But exiting a freeway, I love to aggressive brake if no one is behind me. power + braking + handling = sports car, gotta play around with every aspect.
Oh sure, me too, but as I said, not panic stops from 100 mph on a public road in the US. That's a "careless and reckless driving" charge in the majority of jurisdictions, that carries with it major consequences, which aren't worth it.

I do what you describe as well because is it fun, but we're not talking about panic stops as described in the Evo mag. test. If you have reason to do repeated hard braking from high speeds during a short period on a public street or highway, there's something seriously wrong with you.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

regarding cost, that's what I've read also. CC are not bad if you amortize over lifetime, BUT, if something goes wrong, then the cost to replace is insane.
How do they define the lifetime of the vehicle ?

Is it in time, or mileage ?

Are CCB s affected by age ? or have they not been around long enough for anybody to suffer from any degradation from UV rays/ pollution or such ?

Because with some of the prices I have seen for replacement, in 10 years or so, you will not be able to give any car away if the carbon brakes have any sort of wear/ problem.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew lowe
How do they define the lifetime of the vehicle ?

Is it in time, or mileage ?

I've never found that limit. The lifetime of my new F-Type will certainly be longer than my remaining lifetime. (unless I accidentally kill it or vice versa)

Old 01-29-2015, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by OzRisk
Hey, F-Typical - just read Shift's post of the article. Your cited statistics (red above) were wrong.

The steels only averaged better over the "selected 10 best stops", not the whole 20.

As quoted, "the ceramic cars test average was 2.9m shorter than that of the cast iron car".

Also, the cast irons were going in to total failure at the 20th stop, which is why they stopped the test there, I suspect.

Also, I noted they said the ceramics came up to operating temperature in 3 stops, whereas the cast irons took 4 stops to reach operating temp. What they didnt mention anywhere was what was the ambient temperature of the air - I wonder when and where (somewhere in UK, I guess) the test was run and what effect your cold northern climates I keep reading about will have on either set up.

Much to consider (both ways).

I also had to laugh that the opening paragraph says, "evo gives the definitive verdict", but their second last sentence in the article says, "we'll leave you to reach your own verdict as to whether or not that warrants, in the case of the Jaguar, the £7400 outlay"!
Fair points. Just reread it more carefully and the 20 stop averages are 91.3m for the CCBs, but 94.2m for the iron brakes.

The 90.4m vs. 89.8m figures appear in the following paragraph where it does state that this was for the 10 best runs for each car.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

I was curious why ceramic brakes were not being offered with the six speed. The V6S auto. can be had with ceramics, but not the V6S manual. I contacted Jaguar and their response was as follows: "Because of engine braking the MT car can slow much more quickly than AT equipped car and therefore does not need ceramic brakes."

Have you ever heard such a crock of s***?

Old 02-03-2015, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy
I was curious why ceramic brakes were not being offered with the six speed. The V6S auto. can be had with ceramics, but not the V6S manual. I contacted Jaguar and their response was as follows: "Because of engine braking the MT car can slow much more quickly than AT equipped car and therefore does not need ceramic brakes."

Have you ever heard such a crock of s***?
Now that's a dumb response! (From Jag, I mean, not you!)

Old 02-03-2015, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, dumb indeed. I guess they forgot the auto could also be driven exactly like a conventional manual.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by OzRisk
I've never liked yellow cars though - screams "taxi" to me...
Not a taxi...

Old 02-04-2015, 02:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com

Not a taxi...
Hmm... Fast taxi! Heh-heh!

Old 02-04-2015, 11:57 PM
Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

I test drove the R coupe without the ceramics and I felt the brakes were more then adequate for street use. I knew I would have an occasional track days I went with the ceramics. I don't know how the standard brakes would hold up to track duty (this is a relatively heavy car) but I can say that after two track days with the CCB I am glad I went with them. Fade free lap after lap.

Sebring

MC

2015 Jaguar F-type R Coupe
1996 Acura NSX
1995 Mazda Miata #34

OzRisk (02-05-2015)

Quick Reply: CCBs Vs. Iron Brakes