F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center Caps Delaminating

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 11:52 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Center Caps Delaminating

Anyone else have an issue with the OE wheel caps delaminating? Or is it because I am using Sonax to remove brake dust? The wheels are OE, but did not come with my car - bought from someone else and put on my car - so I'm wondering if the issue is possibly aftermarket caps, or if the issue is of my own doing with aggressive cleaning. I've never had Sonax affect center caps on other cars, but maybe Jaguar's different? All 4 caps are losing their clear plastic coating, it's lifting on the edges.

Old 06-30-2022, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Aftermarket caps are notorious for having short lives. The original OEM caps made for Jaguar are much superior and do not degrade in the same way.
Your wheels probably have aftermarket caps (easily available on eBay and other sites) they look remarkably authentic but have a short life span, and often do not fit securely in the wheel.

The following users liked this post:
NewLester de Rocin (06-30-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 01:45 PM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

sov211 beat me to the reply. Exactly right. I've had experiences with "genuine" aluminum wheels (that you find out the hard way are repainted with so-called matching silver sparkle paint. And I've experienced the "perfect copy" center caps that notify you later that they are simply well-painted knock offs.
Think of it this way: Even if they WERE genuine caps (trust us, they aren't), they've been damaged and will continue to peel uncontrollably. You'll need to order a replacement quartet of caps (from Jaguar USA, I recall only that mine were not some outlandish "posh luxury car" price). Or you can do Ebay or such, but only as long as the ebay photos SHOW these caps in independently sealed plastic bags with the green Jaguar label on the outside.of the bag. That's the only way they come from Jaguar's warehouses, individually bagged like Twinkies!
No need for a responsible Ebay seller to "open the bag, and show you the cap"--you know what the cap looks like. On something this small and simple, you want spanking new, virgin clean emblem caps and no silly street hustles.

Old 06-30-2022, 03:02 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NewLester de Rocin
sov211 beat me to the reply. Exactly right. I've had experiences with "genuine" aluminum wheels (that you find out the hard way are repainted with so-called matching silver sparkle paint. And I've experienced the "perfect copy" center caps that notify you later that they are simply well-painted knock offs.
Think of it this way: Even if they WERE genuine caps (trust us, they aren't), they've been damaged and will continue to peel uncontrollably. You'll need to order a replacement quartet of caps (from Jaguar USA, I recall only that mine were not some outlandish "posh luxury car" price). Or you can do Ebay or such, but only as long as the ebay photos SHOW these caps in independently sealed plastic bags with the green Jaguar label on the outside.of the bag. That's the only way they come from Jaguar's warehouses, individually bagged like Twinkies!
No need for a responsible Ebay seller to "open the bag, and show you the cap"--you know what the cap looks like. On something this small and simple, you want spanking new, virgin clean emblem caps and no silly street hustles.
Indeed - I've had my go-round with aftermarket caps on my old set of wheels. Trying to get them to fit with bits of tape etc was a nightmare; it will only be OEM from now on. I did see they're really not terrible - $55 or so shipped, so not too much of a pain point.

Old 06-30-2022, 03:33 PM
Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts

Britcar UK has OEM center caps (Part No. C2D47107) for $11.29 each. Not sure how much shipping would be.

Old 10-01-2022, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

My OEM center caps are delaminating, so I opted to not get replacement rims machined for them. I think it's just the way they're manufactured. On a previous car I had someone referred to "silver badge mod" because they just don't last. I suppose my center caps are about the same age as the hood badge on the older car. Maybe seven years is expected by some, but I expected better.

Old 10-06-2022, 10:05 AM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm shaking my head, because I just can't accept it (I'm LOL just too stubborn). If it's a 2016 part, and it's OEM, it won't delaminate--nothing should be lifting or peeling off of it. Jaguar doesn't contract these vanity parts out to China or similar--they are made of lasting build. My OEM go through 4 years of winter, salt and city brine-solution. No delam. I have a SECOND set of OEM caps with the union jack I ordered from Jaguar-USA directly--four years of winters, and no peeling. Polish up with Mothers plastic polish to get any tiny scratches off them---fine like New every year.
If your caps are separating, they must not be true OEM from Jaguar----MUST be a knock-off, and someone ahead of you got fooled.

The OEM caps are very inexpensive to order, get them straight from Jaguar, different varieties to choose. The low cost makes it worth it to throw out whatever peely ones you've somehow got, and drive around with the sharp clean ones your car deserves.

Old 10-06-2022, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by NewLester de Rocin
If your caps are separating, they must not be true OEM from Jaguar----MUST be a knock-off, and someone ahead of you got fooled.
They're the ones that came on the car that I special ordered and of which I am the first and only owner. The likelihood that they are not OEM is vanishingly small. They'd have to have been swapped out for counterfeit at the factory or somewhere in transport the wheels were removed and replaced so the caps could be stolen. I think possibility of either is negligible.

Not to worry though. I just had tires fitted yesterday to replacement rims, so the horror of delaminating center caps will be just an unpleasant memory; except for the now-spare wheels I'll have to store, but I can live with that.

CORRECTION: They are not *all* delaminating. The worst is about 60%. The others may have minor issues but I didn't inspect them carefully.

Last edited by lizzardo; 10-06-2022 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-06-2022, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I replaced my caps with red ,black on '14, and they still look new! Of course I live in desert, no salt.

Old 07-30-2023, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by cpq100
Britcar UK has OEM center caps (Part No. C2D47107) for $11.29 each. Not sure how much shipping would be.
They're about $15.00 here on line. The Jag store is on LSD asking $28.00.each. 'll just pick them up at the dealer if he matches the on line price or order them on line with shipping charges of $10. For $60+ I'm a hero and the caps don't fall off like that Chinese Sh..t for a few bucks less.

Old 07-30-2023, 07:12 PM
Received 246 Likes on 130 Posts

I replaced my OEM red caps for black, rotational (Jaguar is always facing correctly) caps.

Original red is on the left. Black spin ones is on the right. No issues whatsoever with fit. They are tight and only way to get them off is by removing the wheel.

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (07-31-2023)
Old 07-31-2023, 02:31 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeIII
I replaced my OEM red caps for black, rotational (Jaguar is always facing correctly) caps.
Some of us consider "correctly" is the growler's chin pointing to the valve!
Makes finding the valve easy, just look at the center cap and straight there - no wandering round the rim.

Old 07-31-2023, 02:45 AM
Received 246 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Some of us consider "correctly" is the growler's chin pointing to the valve!
Makes finding the valve easy, just look at the center cap and straight there - no wandering round the rim.
WoW.... such a long way of wandering one has to do to find that itty bitty valve. Imagine if I had 21 inch wheels I would be there all day looking for it.

But hey, if you look at my wheels you need not have to stand on your head to read "Jaguar"....