F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center Vent Replace-2014 F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 05:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Center Vent Replace-2014 F-Type

Some time back my center vent started refusing to open on my "14" F-Type. BTW, 13, 200 miles since new. I understand about the old TSB out on this. Mine naturally went kaput out of warranty. Anyway, I sent JAG a letter to their headquarters in FLA. to complain and never got a response. At the same time the dealer was trying to sell me a new one. Good luck with that now. Anyway, I bought the supposed updated Bosch vent from the U.K. and it's been sitting in the box for part of a year. With my car in cold weather dry dock I thought I might heat the garage one of these days and try to install it. There are YouTube videos on replacing the radio/info system screen just under the vent but nothing on the vent itself. I have downloaded the F-Type factory repair manual but it has so many pages I don't know where to look for instructions. Finally, I have the iCarsoft LR V2.0 diagnostic tool but don't know if that will address any module reset that might be required. Has anybody out there done their own vent replacement? If so, please share the process, any problems I may encounter and anything else you may want to add. Or, if the "how to" of this issue has already been addressed on here, please share where to find it. I've seen many responses about how much the dealer charges to repair the problem but nothing about doing it yourself. The dealer told me the job usually took them about an hour of shop time m/l.

Old 12-16-2020, 07:54 PM
Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

I wish I could remember where I found it, but I came across this a few months ago when mine failed to come up because of something blocking it. Lesson learned if you're transporting large skinny boxes... turn off the air vents before loading up the car. Fortunately it worked fine the following day but I kept the doc in case it becomes a thing again down the road.

If the author's on this site, thank you for the detailed pics!

Attached Files
The following 6 users liked this post by Llama:
Borbor (12-17-2020), CB1973 (05-17-2022), ferrral (12-17-2020), Mbourne (12-17-2020), Phantomf4collector (12-28-2020), schuss (12-28-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-16-2020, 08:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Llama
I wish I could remember where I found it, but I came across this a few months ago when mine failed to come up because of something blocking it. Lesson learned if you're transporting large skinny boxes... turn off the air vents before loading up the car. Fortunately it worked fine the following day but I kept the doc in case it becomes a thing again down the road.

Thank you. I saved the PDF.

Old 12-17-2020, 07:47 PM
Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

If you are going to replace the powered vent assembly, you should buy a new screen that fits over the top on the dash, they always break when you pry them up.

Be careful prying up the trim bit at the edge of the windshield too ,
I think the fixing bolts are Torx 15, and it helps to have short extensions to fit down into the recesses to access them.
A small magnet helps when pulling the bolts out.

The following 3 users liked this post by RedSky:
Borbor (12-17-2020), ferrral (12-17-2020), Mbourne (12-18-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by cheeseland
Some time back my center vent started refusing to open on my "14" F-Type. BTW, 13, 200 miles since new. I understand about the old TSB out on this. Mine naturally went kaput out of warranty. Anyway, I sent JAG a letter to their headquarters in FLA. to complain and never got a response. At the same time the dealer was trying to sell me a new one. Good luck with that now. Anyway, I bought the supposed updated Bosch vent from the U.K. and it's been sitting in the box for part of a year. With my car in cold weather dry dock I thought I might heat the garage one of these days and try to install it. There are YouTube videos on replacing the radio/info system screen just under the vent but nothing on the vent itself. I have downloaded the F-Type factory repair manual but it has so many pages I don't know where to look for instructions. Finally, I have the iCarsoft LR V2.0 diagnostic tool but don't know if that will address any module reset that might be required. Has anybody out there done their own vent replacement? If so, please share the process, any problems I may encounter and anything else you may want to add. Or, if the "how to" of this issue has already been addressed on here, please share where to find it. I've seen many responses about how much the dealer charges to repair the problem but nothing about doing it yourself. The dealer told me the job usually took them about an hour of shop time m/l.
Hint on the repair manual: the PDF is well indexed with bookmarks. It’s easy to find things if you know how to use those bookmarks. You can also find things using the search feature.

The following users liked this post:
scm (12-23-2020)
Old 08-21-2022, 06:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Llama

Hey yes thank you so much for that PDF...wow. I've had the vent stop opening twice now, so i bet it's the friction like you say. You're a smart man !!