Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Central Jacking Points?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 05:23 AM
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Central Jacking Points?

Morning all,

I'm collecting my F-type this weekend and the first job will be to remove all 4 wheels to send them away for reconditioning. Now I've had BMW's for the last 15 years and they always have a front and rear jack point in the centre of the car.

So the process is jack up from the front central beam and place two axle standard underneath the front jacking points, then go to the rear and lift the car up from the diff and again place two axle stands under the jacking points and lower the car. All 4 wheels off the ground, simple.

What's the procedure for the Jag? I can only find threads lifting one side at a time which is no use.

I also want to get some of the corroded bars powder coated at the same time if they come off easily?

G

Old 01-13-2020, 05:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by scz4
Morning all,

I'm collecting my F-type this weekend and the first job will be to remove all 4 wheels to send them away for reconditioning. Now I've had BMW's for the last 15 years and they always have a front and rear jack point in the centre of the car.

So the process is jack up from the front central beam and place two axle standard underneath the front jacking points, then go to the rear and lift the car up from the diff and again place two axle stands under the jacking points and lower the car. All 4 wheels off the ground, simple.

What's the procedure for the Jag? I can only find threads lifting one side at a time which is no use.

I also want to get some of the corroded bars powder coated at the same time if they come off easily?

G
In the rear, you can jack it up at the differential. At the front, nothing available in the center of the car.
However, you can lift a whole side at a time. Using the rear jacking point on either side, you can lift about 13” and get the front wheel off the ground.

Old 01-13-2020, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
In the rear, you can jack it up at the differential. At the front, nothing available in the center of the car.
However, you can lift a whole side at a time. Using the rear jacking point on either side, you can lift about 13” and get the front wheel off the ground.
Thanks for that, a little clumsy, but could work...

So place the jack under the rear jacking point at the drivers side, lift the side up, place axle stand under the front jacking point. Release jack and repeat at the other side. Then go round to the back of the car and lift by the diff and place two remaining axle stands under the car.

Any underside plastic covers to remove to access the diff?

Old 01-13-2020, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scz4
Thanks for that, a little clumsy, but could work...

So place the jack under the rear jacking point at the drivers side, lift the side up, place axle stand under the front jacking point. Release jack and repeat at the other side. Then go round to the back of the car and lift by the diff and place two remaining axle stands under the car.

Any underside plastic covers to remove to access the diff?
Good plan, but I don’t think it’ll work. I don’t think the front of the car will be raised sufficiently to get a jackstand underneath it.

Nothing needs to be removed in order to get clear access to the underside of the differential.

Old 01-13-2020, 07:26 AM

Ah ok....perhaps if I drive it up onto a few bits of wood first...

Old 01-13-2020, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

If you are looking to hold your F off the ground without wheels, I'd first remove the front, central plastic undertray (under the engine, not the nose). There are possible support points there (albeit somewhat close towards the center). (Where the steel under-body braces attach)

There are no plastic covers in the rear. Once the wheels are off, it is readily apparent where jack stands can support the car.

I'd do the rear first I think. If you can fit a stand under the front jacking areas by jacking the rear only try that as @Unhingd said.

I'm the wrong one to ask as I have 4 hydraulic floor jacks that allow me to raise a car off the ground, fairly level, too, THEN fit jack stands 'just in case'.

Old 01-13-2020, 09:54 AM

Thanks guys, what a challenge!

Think I have a plan.

1) Jack up the front drivers side and place a large block until the front drivers tyre and let the car down.
2) Repeat at passenger side
3) Slide jack round under the drivers side rear jacking point, lift the entire side of the car up and slide axle stand under front jacking point
4) Repeat at passenger side
5) Jack up rear of car from diff and slide two axle stands under the rear jacking points.

Old 01-13-2020, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

I took all four wheels off at once a couple of months ago, to paint the brake calipers.
I already had two low entry trolley jacks and two axle stands, however I worked out that it would be a little difficult and possibly not fully safe using just that equipment, and it's a real pain getting the axle stands in next to the trolley jacks as the trolley jacks have to be raised to their absolute max height before the axle stands will juuust squeak under.
So I went and bought a pair of standard bottle jacks, these: https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...kg/382375.html
Much lower entry than the axle stands but still too tall to go straight under without raising the car first.
My method, which worked a charm:
1. Raise the front end using the pair of trolley jacks, one each side under the jacking points.
2. Raise it just enough to slide the bottle jacks in under right next to the trolley jacks.
3. Wind/pump the bottle jacks up so they just take the weight off the trolley jacks.
4. Drop the trolley jacks and remove, the whole weight of the front end of the car is now on the bottle jacks.
5. Use the trolley jacks to raise the rear end, again on the designated jacking points each side.
Job done!
I left it like that overnight and had zero problems, but you may like to shove a pair of axles stands in at the rear next to the trolley jacks for added safety. I didn't do this as I trusted the trolley jacks and as I said it is a PITA getting the trolley jacks up high enough to slide the axle stands under.
However if you intend to have the car up in the air with all four wheels removed for a few days then yes I would use something else to support the rear end and not just the trolley jacks.
I for one would never raise the whole rear end of the car with a single jack under the diff, even more so with the front wheels also off the ground.

Old 01-13-2020, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

The right tool for the job. A one time expense, but oh so worth it.

The following 5 users liked this post by Nati:
Carbuff2 (01-14-2020), Mbourne (01-14-2020), peppersam740 (02-13-2020), ryd003 (01-13-2020), SinF (01-14-2020)
Old 01-13-2020, 10:40 PM
Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
The right tool for the job. A one time expense, but oh so worth it.

costco? I just saw something similar on their site.

Old 01-14-2020, 12:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ryd003
costco? I just saw something similar on their site.
I can't recall if I ordered direct, but I may have picked it up at Costco. QuickJack 5000.

Old 01-14-2020, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Got mine at Costco last year when it was on sale. Price is $300 higher now.

https://www.costco.com/quickjack-5%2...100460313.html

Great tool. Used it to put my crank pulley on and do brake and tire work on all my cars.

Old 01-14-2020, 12:23 PM
Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Their on sale at Costco occasionally if you're not in a hurry, plus the price includes shipping and handling and these things are not exactly light. And if your car is not lowered you can just park on top of them so storage is no problem, you just have to put away the hydraulic pump & hoses.
I Love Mine, I bought it about 5 years ago when they first came out, QuickJack 5000.
Wayne B.

Old 01-14-2020, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
At the front, nothing available in the center of the car.
Real men, just jack their F-type by the oil pan. No, the real men don't support their F-type at all and work under it just sitting on a jack on one side. If it falls down, they just bench it up. With one hand.

Old 01-14-2020, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
Real men, just jack their F-type by the oil pan. No, the real men don't support their F-type at all and work under it just sitting on a jack on one side. If it falls down, they just bench it up. With one hand.
Yeah, that’s how I do it.

Old 02-13-2020, 10:46 AM
Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
Got mine at Costco last year when it was on sale. Price is $300 higher now.

https://www.costco.com/quickjack-5%2...100460313.html

Great tool. Used it to put my crank pulley on and do brake and tire work on all my cars.

These are on sale again at Costco $999.99 delivered. BUT the sale ends tonight. Sorry I saw it a little late, but if you order today you can still get it.

https://www.costco.com/.product.1004...dff9baf12f30.7

Wayne B.

Old 02-14-2020, 01:07 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by WayneB
These are on sale again at Costco $999.99 delivered. BUT the sale ends tonight. Sorry I saw it a little late, but if you order today you can still get it.

https://www.costco.com/.product.1004...dff9baf12f30.7

Wayne B.
literally just bought this because you posted it, thank you sir! Great price, Excited to get this!

Old 02-14-2020, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ltrain925
literally just bought this because you posted it, thank you sir! Great price, Excited to get this!
FYI there is a series of official setup videos on youtube. You should really watch them. Do not simply go by the manual. In fact, I ignored the manual and followed the video. Took me about 90 minutes. You also need a bicycle pump with a pressure gauge to prime the hydraulics.

The following users liked this post:
Ltrain925 (02-14-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 12:24 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
FYI there is a series of official setup videos on youtube. You should really watch them. Do not simply go by the manual. In fact, I ignored the manual and followed the video. Took me about 90 minutes. You also need a bicycle pump with a pressure gauge to prime the hydraulics.
sounds good I will watch those thanks for the heads up! I was going to pay a shop to put on my VAP spring simplify because I don’t want to break my back but now I’ll be doing them myself with this lift 😎

Old 02-15-2020, 04:43 PM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Great tip about the diff, plan is to lift the front with two floor jacks a little at a time, then support car with jack stands and then lift the rear at diff and place two remaining jack stands at rear lifting points, no?

Quick Reply: Central Jacking Points?