F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 09:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ceramic Brake Pads

I contacted CARBOTECH...... Whom I've used their "Bobcat" ceramic pads before (awesome btw and virtually no brake dust!)......... And they informed me that currently don't make them but if given a pair of the OEM's ..... Could produce them!

Also......... EBC seems to be on the road to producing a Ceramic pad...... Just not sure the ETA?

Does anyone "in the know"....... Have any insight into if/when a ceramic "dustless" pad will be available for the 'R'???

Thanks!

Old 10-12-2015, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by gino_cocci
I contacted CARBOTECH...... Whom I've used their "Bobcat" ceramic pads before (awesome btw and virtually no brake dust!)......... And they informed me that currently don't make them but if given a pair of the OEM's ..... Could produce them!

Also......... EBC seems to be on the road to producing a Ceramic pad...... Just not sure the ETA?

Does anyone "in the know"....... Have any insight into if/when a ceramic "dustless" pad will be available for the 'R'???

Thanks!
I had contacted EBC about a year ago and they said to try back late 2015 as there was a chance they might have them.
Likely in Dec. I'll send them another note to see if they are available.
Lawrence

Old 10-12-2015, 11:14 AM
Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts

You may want to contact StopTech since they show they have the Pos-Quiet ceramics available for the F-Type, but not sure if it is just for the base and S or also for the R. I am also curious as to how to change the pads given the automatic (electronic) parking brake and how to properly disable it so pad install can be done.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:19 AM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 355rockit
You may want to contact StopTech since they show they have the Pos-Quiet ceramics available for the F-Type, but not sure if it is just for the base and S or also for the R. I am also curious as to how to change the pads given the automatic (electronic) parking brake and how to properly disable it so pad install can be done.
FYI, I checked with StopTech in early September to see if they had any plans to introduce Posi Quiet Ceramic Brake Pads for the F-Type (particularly for the R). At that time they indicated that they did not, and recommended the the Posi Quiet Semi-Metallic Brake Pads instead. As part of their reply the StopTech rep explained that they don't typically offer ceramic pads for European cars as they are designed to work with abrasive friction materials, so the Semi-Metallic pads are a better choice. He also indicated that their semi-metallic pads have lower noise and dust characteristics then the OE pads.

Based on that reply, I got the impression that they would never offer ceramic pads for the F-Type.

Edit: Just checked the StopTech website, and they still only list the Posi Quiet Semi-Metallic pads, I don't see the ceramics available for any F-Type.

Last edited by Merlin; 10-12-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:11 PM
Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Merlin
FYI, I checked with StopTech in early September to see if they had any plans to introduce Posi Quiet Ceramic Brake Pads for the F-Type (particularly for the R). At that time they indicated that they did not, and recommended the the Posi Quiet Semi-Metallic Brake Pads instead. As part of their reply the StopTech rep explained that they don't typically offer ceramic pads for European cars as they are designed to work with abrasive friction materials, so the Semi-Metallic pads are a better choice. He also indicated that their semi-metallic pads have lower noise and dust characteristics then the OE pads.

Based on that reply, I got the impression that they would never offer ceramic pads for the F-Type.

Edit: Just checked the StopTech website, and they still only list the Posi Quiet Semi-Metallic pads, I don't see the ceramics available for any F-Type.
You are correct... my bad. I saw Posi-Quiet listed and assumed all Posi-Quiets were ceramic.

I did a search on CarID.com and found this:
2015 Jaguar F-Type Performance Brakes | Pads, Rotors, Calipers

Old 10-13-2015, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Just re-contacted EBC U.K. concerning ceramic pads for the Ftype R and here is the reply.

"Sorry not available and not in the current plan"
signed by the Automotive Data and technology manager.

Lawrence

Old 10-14-2015, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Dumb question, but has anyone changed any brake pads yet? Is it as simple as any other car and a quick DIY, or are there sensors that need calibrated or reset? How about the rear pads? Anything different or difficult with the EPB?

Old 10-14-2015, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

I'm interested in a simpler question. Has anyone actually received a set of the semi-metallic pads that are supposedly available for the F-Type?

Old 10-14-2015, 12:17 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

How many freakin' brake pad shapes/sizes does the world need for gawds sake? You would think they could accomodate the entire automobile universe with a dozen shapes/sizes, at most. Then you could have availability of any material in one of a dozen sizes - simple... There should be a standard!!

Old 10-14-2015, 12:33 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I'm interested in a simpler question. Has anyone actually received a set of the semi-metallic pads that are supposedly available for the F-Type?
Not yet. Though I plan to try out the StopTech Posi-Quiet Semi-Metallic brake pads when it comes time to replace mine. Unless, of course, some quality ceramics appear that have been proven successful on the FTR.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:14 PM

RockAuto.com have the following ceramic pads listed for F-Type, but NOT IN STOCK, but at least there is a part number so hope springs eternal...

A V6S rear pad is not specifically listed, but it may be one of the others are the same (I didn't look it up).

Power Stop Z16 Evolution Ceramic
V6 Models Iron Rotor:
161751 Base Front 355mm disc
161752 Base Rear 325mm disc
161750 S Front 380mm disc

V8S and R for Iron Rotor:
Power Stop Z16 Evolution Ceramic
161752 Rear V8S Iron Disc 325mm Rear
161753 Rear R Model V8S Model Iron disc 376mm Rear Disc
161750 Front Iron Disc, 380mm Front disc

All models, for Ceramic Rotor:
161763 S Front 380mm for Ceramic disc
161764 S Rear for Ceramic disc

and also (in stock, $30.99):

CENTRIC 10417530 Posi-Quiet Metallic w/Shims-Preferred
Rear; R Model; V8 S Model; 380mm Front & 376mm Rear Disc; Iron Discs

The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (10-15-2015)
Old 10-15-2015, 05:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

From that info, it looks like the V6S cars with the Super Performance Brakes will need to order pads specified for the V8 models.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by lhoboy
From that info, it looks like the V6S cars with the Super Performance Brakes will need to order pads specified for the V8 models.
Yeah, their catalog splits the F-Type by engine size, so its not totally indicative of the options.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mshedden
RockAuto.com have the following ceramic pads listed for F-Type, but NOT IN STOCK, but at least there is a part number so hope springs eternal...
Yes, various sites have listed various pad options that supposedly fit for some time now, but they never seem to be in stock. I'm guessing that means not produced yet, which was why I was asking if anyone had actually received a set.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:57 AM

Yes, various sites have listed various pad options that supposedly fit for some time now, but they never seem to be in stock. I'm guessing that means not produced yet, which was why I was asking if anyone had actually received a set.
Yes, understood.

Oddly, when I searched RockAuto.com I (randomly) used model year 2015 thinking it wouldn't make any difference. Turns out I was wrong, if you use their catalog and search for 2014/Jaguar/F-Type/3.0/Brakes/Brake Pads you will see a number of Centric Posi Quiet Metallic pads listed as available and in stock. Ditto the V8.

(Edit: I see someone already found these Posi Quiets on CAR-ID)

There seems to be some differentiation based on VIN# indicating a change was made at some point.

Last edited by mshedden; 10-15-2015 at 09:07 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mshedden
Yes, understood.

Oddly, when I searched RockAuto.com I (randomly) used model year 2015 thinking it wouldn't make any difference. Turns out I was wrong, if you use their catalog and search for 2014/Jaguar/F-Type/3.0/Brakes/Brake Pads you will see a number of Centric Posi Quiet Metallic pads listed as available and in stock. Ditto the V8.

There seems to be some differentiation based on VIN# indicating a change was made at some point.

Costs under $100 for both front and rear sets, so somebody go for it!
I don't think so. I think it's just bad information. JLR often lists part numbers only pertaining to a particular VIN range, when in reality, that same part might every F-Type produced.

At any rate, I don't think they're in stock for '14s either.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:12 AM

I don't think so. I think it's just bad information. JLR often lists part numbers only pertaining to a particular VIN range, when in reality, that same part might every F-Type produced.

At any rate, I don't think they're in stock for '14s either.
I've used RockAuto.com a lot and found them to be reliable wrt stock situation, even down to getting the last one of something. If they don't have it, it won't be listed I'm pretty sure.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (10-15-2015)
Old 10-15-2015, 10:05 AM

Note Centric Posi-Quiet CERAMIC are listed for the base - front only.

CENTRIC 10517510 Posi-Quiet Ceramic w/Shims and Hardware Info
Front; Base Model; 325mm Rear Disc; 355mm Front Disc; Fr VIN K01000

Autoanything

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A4364A0A0.aspx

Also found on Amazon....

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PZFFLEA/?tag=hoga05-20 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PZFFLEA/?tag=hoga05-20

Last edited by mshedden; 10-15-2015 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:41 AM
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Just checking to see if anybody has found low dust pads for their F-type yet

Old 01-21-2016, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by straightline
Just checking to see if anybody has found low dust pads for their F-type yet
+1

It appeared last fall that StopTech had pad options available and several had ordered. Yet, I haven't seen a single post from anyone who received, installed, or tried to install them.

Quick Reply: Ceramic Brake Pads