F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Certified Jag sold to me with no oil changes for 3 yrs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX
  • Lower than factory change interval on miles. The calendar change seems self-serving from the oil manufactyrer perspective - I checked the bottles I have and none have a use-by date.
This is false. For example, Castrol states: "Castrol oils have no expiration date. However, we recommend using the oil within 5 years of the date printed on the bottom of the bottle". This is for sealed oil contained sitting on a shelf in a temperature-controlled warehouse shelf. Engine sitting in an oil pan and that has been through heating-cooling cycles of driving would be less than that.

• Our V8/ZF revs a lot lower than most sportscars, so the miles equates to ~half the engine revolutions, maybe a third if comparing to a 9000 red line screamer.
Not true factually. High revving cars are exception, F-type AJ engine is average. Also not true with logic of your argument - that higher RPM correspond to more stress on oil. They do, but only indirectly - by increasing bearing loads and temperature. You know what else increases bearing loads and temperature? Supercharging.

• The analysis is likely still reflecting some break-in metals.
My second oil change did not reflect any additional break-in metals.

Old 03-02-2020, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,000 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by glenn's E
Carfax did not show any service records. Engine oil analysis was consistent with not having any oil changes for three years.
Oil changes as per Jaguar are required once a year or 16K miles. Jaguar includes free oil and filter changes for three years.
Jaguar dealership service dept. located very close to lease owner.
Oil analysis results. Aluminum=17 normal=9 Iron=31 normal=18 copper=12 normal=3
Normal would be for an oil change at 16K miles. This analysis was done after 1K miles
Those numbers are equivalent to mine at my first oil change, done well before the one year point. The numbers dropped dramatically after 15K miles, and my last analysis at 36K still shows very low in metals: 3/11/2 for the metals you list. That was with 9600 miles on the oil.

• Beverly Hills lease (same as my F) implies a more mature sedate driver, even if less conscientious.
  • Lower than factory change interval on miles. The calendar change seems self-serving from the oil manufactyrer perspective - I checked the bottles I have and none have a use-by date.
Beverley Hills could also be a young entertainer or sports figure, or a trust fund kid. I haven't checked the demographics lately, but I don't know if it's safe to make any assumptions in that respect.

Oil in the bottle doesn't oxidize and oil in the bottle does not have moisture, unburned fuel, acids from incomplete combustion, etc.

Those things said, I also would consider buying the car were I looking for one like it. I'm still curious about the certification report. I've been told but haven't confirmed that failure to get service on schedule (+/1 one month, if going by time) invalidates the included (not actually "free") scheduled service.

Old 03-02-2020, 12:26 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Those things said, I also would consider buying the car were I looking for one like it. I'm still curious about the certification report. I've been told but haven't confirmed that failure to get service on schedule (+/1 one month, if going by time) invalidates the included (not actually "free") scheduled service.
I was wondering the same thing. What are the real requirements for certification? From my CPO perspective, the only true requirement was the dealer stating the car met requirements and paying for the coverage from Jag.

The CPO literature lists165 things inspected for certification, but not all inspected things are warrantied under the CPO program, like paint. Only "sudden mechanical or electrical failure" is expressly warrantied. So even if they actually need to check the service history by procedure, doesn't mean certification would have teeth if nothing is clearly broken.

Last edited by RacerX; 03-02-2020 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-02-2020, 12:33 PM
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I would be really annoyed about the lack of detail.

but, I doubt with that modern synthetic oil it would make much of a difference.

But, you paid for a car carefully inspected by the dealer to get the certification,

Old 03-02-2020, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 608 Likes on 416 Posts

On the subject of an oil's shelf life:

The additives CAN 'settle out'. BITOG has several topics showing pictures of settlement in the bottom of synthetic oil's jugs.

The takeaway: SHAKE THE BOTTLE before opening.

Don't worry, it isn't soda pop.

Old 03-02-2020, 12:45 PM
Banned

Also, technically, its ok not to have service records according to Jaguar, "Some owners may wish to have their engine oil changed more frequently than required, should the vehicle have a high proportion of short journeys or operate in severe conditions. These extra services may be performed on a customer pay basis and the service interval indicator will not be reset."

​​​​​​Also technically, one would hope a lease agreement would require either dealer or customer performed required or better oil services, but, realistically, probably not.

Old 03-02-2020, 12:54 PM
Banned

And also, technically, if you don't present the car within 30 days of the anniverisary of the in-service date, the included service is denied and will always appear as missed in the computer because it is a time-limited coded service. But that doesn't prove the car never had an oil change.

If I ever leased a car, I would pay for a change if I missed the 30 day window. And there is no way I would wait a year change the oil even on lease. Not all leasors are resigned to turn the car in, and not all are resigned to boofing the next owner just because.

Last edited by RacerX; 03-02-2020 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:17 PM
Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

I encountered this situation with my CPO coupe, purchased from a SoCal dealer (perhaps the same one you bought from). Missing service (thankfully just one). Mostly I was annoyed that I couldn't get them to perform the missed maintenance, as it was outside the 30-day window, and the only solution offered to me was to do the next scheduled service early.

My takeaway is that CPO has value for the extended warranty, but the rest is just marketing. I wouldn't trust the "inspection" or any implications that the car is automatically in better condition than a non-CPO vehicle.

Old 03-03-2020, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,384 Likes on 1,609 Posts

This was not a mature driver- they lease cars to have someone to talk to in the service dept.

This was someone oblivious to caring for a car. 12000 miles of idling on the 5 could be like 36,000 miles without an oil change in normal cities. Check the brake pads and rotors, they will provide the right clues.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (03-04-2020)
Old 03-04-2020, 08:28 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You are correct, the brake pads were replaced by the dealer upon return from lease. The rotors were well worn but within spec. so they were not replaced.
Glenn

Old 03-04-2020, 08:41 AM
Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts

Frank here my16 s coupe storm grey with brogue interior ivory stitching performance seats, when I purchased my jag last year with 30,000 miles. They replaced rear tires, brake pads and rotors. I understand that if brake pads are replaced they also replace the rotors.
Frank Hudson valley NY

Old 03-04-2020, 09:25 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by frank barone
I understand that if brake pads are replaced they also replace the rotors.
They'll do it if it's not paid for out of their own pockets, but it's not always necessary.

Carbuff2 (03-04-2020)
Old 03-04-2020, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

You are correct, the brake pads were replaced by the dealer upon return from lease. The rotors were well worn but within spec.
My 2016 F-type S that I purchased new and that I frequently take out on a race track still has original pads and rotors. Your car was not gently driven.

Queen and Country (03-04-2020)
Old 03-04-2020, 10:19 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
My 2016 F-type S that I purchased new and that I frequently take out on a race track still has original pads and rotors. Your car was not gently driven.
Well, you know the brakes were used a lot, but i've followed many cars whose drivers used the brakes nearly all the time - bump in the road - brake, oncoming car - brake, slight bend in the road - brake. None of those cars were being thrashed, in fact, they were holding me up! I use my brakes a lot less, I prefer to judge my speed and adjust according to the conditions, so no need to use the brakes, which anyway just wastes fuel!

Old 03-04-2020, 10:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by scm
Well, you know the brakes were used a lot, but i've followed many cars whose drivers used the brakes nearly all the time - bump in the road - brake, oncoming car - brake, slight bend in the road - brake. None of those cars were being thrashed, in fact, they were holding me up! I use my brakes a lot less, I prefer to judge my speed and adjust according to the conditions, so no need to use the brakes, which anyway just wastes fuel!
Yeah, and a 12,000 mile brake pad change is just cheap CPO inspection good will. It's a small plus in the "buy it" column.

Old 03-04-2020, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,384 Likes on 1,609 Posts

You are correct, the brake pads were replaced by the dealer upon return from lease. The rotors were well worn but within spec. so they were not replaced.
Glenn
So this tells you a few things.
This car was used to commute and spent a lot of time stuck in traffic- and stop and go driving.
There is no way to avoid it in SoCal. It certainly was not used just to cruise on the weekends.
Also why was the pads changed and not the oil!!!

Clearly this was an appliance to someone in disposable SoCal culture, and not an exotic purchase as it would be to us.
So lets be helpful. If you paid a premium for it, peruse your legal recourse, being mindful of your own time. There are lawyers who specialize in misrepresentations/ deception. (your claim is that this is not certified- scheduled maintenance was not done- The onus is on them to prove the oil was changed) Yes get that $5k back, that is the difference between a cert car and non-certified car.
Its not the end of the world, you can undo what little damage may have been done, namely sludge. One other clue that would be most helpful is how much oil was extracted when it finally got an oil change.

Old 03-05-2020, 06:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
So this tells you a few things.
This car was used to commute and spent a lot of time stuck in traffic- and stop and go driving.
There is no way to avoid it in SoCal. It certainly was not used just to cruise on the weekends.
Also why was the pads changed and not the oil!!!

Clearly this was an appliance to someone in disposable SoCal culture, and not an exotic purchase as it would be to us.
So lets be helpful. If you paid a premium for it, peruse your legal recourse, being mindful of your own time. There are lawyers who specialize in misrepresentations/ deception. (your claim is that this is not certified- scheduled maintenance was not done- The onus is on them to prove the oil was changed) Yes get that $5k back, that is the difference between a cert car and non-certified car.
Its not the end of the world, you can undo what little damage may have been done, namely sludge. One other clue that would be most helpful is how much oil was extracted when it finally got an oil change.
My car is a 7Y/100K CPO including the covered oil changes by the original leasor and the dealer also changed the brake pads and tires at 16,000 miles during certification. I occassionally track my car and I'm at 40K miles now, and the pads and tires are fine. So I wouldn't read so much into changing the pads, it sounds more standard than not.

He said the dealear did change the oil at 12K, so the only miss is by calandar date, not by mileage. And even that is only a guess, since the oil could have been changed, we just don't know. That's no different than the 99.999% of used cars sold without all oil change receipts, except in this one doesn't have enough total miles to worry.

Another thing I would add is that the one year covered changes every 16K miles are not enough. So unless a car has the first 3 annual services plus at least 2 sets of additional oil receipts per year, then it was not properly maintained IMO. At least this car has low miles, a car with normal miles and only the 3 annual changes should definitely be avoided.

Last edited by RacerX; 03-05-2020 at 07:08 PM.