Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing headlight bulbs - stuck at the metal cable harness

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 08:18 AM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Changing headlight bulbs - stuck at the metal cable harness

Hi guys

I have a set of osram cbi bulbs i want to install, but can't seem to work out how to remove the metal cable harness on the end of the bulb base

Has anyone swapped their bulbs and can offer some advice

Old 11-27-2015, 10:16 AM
Received 400 Likes on 211 Posts

Hate to break it to you but the OEM HID bulbs are built into the ignitor. But heres a screen grab from the shop manual

The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteTardis:
domino_z (11-27-2015), Unhingd (11-27-2015)
Old 11-27-2015, 01:50 PM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by domino_z
Hi guys

I have a set of osram cbi bulbs i want to install, but can't seem to work out how to remove the metal cable harness on the end of the bulb base

Has anyone swapped their bulbs and can offer some advice
Caution up front: I assume you have disconnected your battery when you start to remove the connector. Lotsa voltage there!

If you've been successful in removing the bulb covers, as it seems you are at this point, trace the connection-end of the braided connector with your fingers for the attachment clip. It is either on the side of the connector or at the top of the connector. Though I had the dealer do the install (since I couldn't get my hands into the area sufficient to pull out the bulb without either removing the headlamp assemblies or the components around them (p/s reservoir and relay box), the connector that attaches to the bulb/ignitor assembly likely has a release clip that is either pressed or lifted. ( In some cars, the connector simply pulls off, but I doubt that that is the case with the Jag.) In any event, once you get the sense of how the clip works, it is very easy to release. No massive torque-down here.

Wish I could help further. Keep us posted.

The following users liked this post:
domino_z (11-27-2015)
Old 11-27-2015, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
Hate to break it to you but the OEM HID bulbs are built into the ignitor. But heres a screen grab from the shop manual
I believe he is asking how to release the braided connector from its bulb/ignitor assembly, not how to separate the bulb from the ignitor (which is, as you indicate, one assembly).

Old 11-27-2015, 03:53 PM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

Yep I'm trying to remove the braided cable from base of bulb

It is a push clip but it just won't budge. May try wedging a small toothpick under the clasp and pulling

Re working on the fuse box side, you can remove the two bolts holding the fuse box in place and rotate it away to give same straight access as passenger side

Old 11-27-2015, 04:31 PM
Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Are these the bulbs you are putting in
Amazon.com: Osram Xenarc 66144 D1S CBI Bulbs (Pair): Automotive Amazon.com: Osram Xenarc 66144 D1S CBI Bulbs (Pair): Automotive

Whatever you are putting in, please let us know how they compare to OEM

Old 11-27-2015, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by domino_z
Yep I'm trying to remove the braided cable from base of bulb

It is a push clip but it just won't budge. May try wedging a small toothpick under the clasp and pulling

Re working on the fuse box side, you can remove the two bolts holding the fuse box in place and rotate it away to give same straight access as passenger side
The clip really should pop right off. Strange it doesn't budge.

That the connector "just won't budge" tells me that you are either not releasing the clip sufficiently, or are not applying enough force (though I use that word gingerly here) in pulling off the connector. Though the pins in the ignitor are delicate, both connector and ignitor are at least metal, not plastic--they should be able to take a little tug as long as you are trying to pull the connector straight off, not at an angle.

I found in past connector removals that at times I was "too gentle," fearing breakage of the connector. You might try one last time, pushing in the clip and pulling on the connector in a tad more vigorous fashion. if the connector still won't budge, I'm guessing the clip is not releasing properly. Better think about having the dealer do the install.