Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing R series software to SVR engine software

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 07:12 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Changing R series software to SVR engine software

Hi guys, I visited my dealer the other day. I had a discussion with the service dept manager. I brought up the fact that the only difference between the R coupe and the SVR coupe is the software, which bumps up the SVR to 575 HP. I wanted to know if it would be possible to dump the SVR engine software into the R coupe since the engines are identical. During my conversation, the gentleman information me that the motor was originally designed to be rated for 650 HP. Jaguar later thought it was pushing the motor to the max and it might be stressed beyond a safe operating range. I asked him if he could update/change my R coupe software by downloading the SVR engine software. His answer surprised me. He told me that his service dept tried doing this a few times to different R series cars but it did not work. He said his technicians are gear heads and they would love to do such a thing to the R series vehicle. He explained that the R series software and the SVR car having two different VIN numbers assigned and it will clash. The computer in the R series kept rejecting the SVR engine software thinking it's a mismatch. They tried to trick the computer ( explained something technical) but they could not successfully update the R series car with the SVR engine software. He also told me two R series owners had the pully changed to the aftermarket smaller size. He said this did increase the horse power but the car would frequently have issues with check engine lights popping up. So, both of the cars were reverted back to you he OEM pully. I thought I'd share what I was told by my dealer.
Thanks

The following users liked this post:
DJP (11-01-2016)
Old 11-01-2016, 07:53 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for sharing!

Old 11-01-2016, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

I was told they can do it, but need to use a VIN number from an SVR..?
Lawrence

Old 11-01-2016, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,263 Likes on 2,408 Posts

I think Cambo commented somewhere that he tried to install the SVR tune on an R (or maybe it was a V8S) and even though it supposedly "stuck" the pre and post dyno runs showed no difference or improvement.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:20 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default They did this ...

Originally Posted by Mulmur
I was told they can do it, but need to use a VIN number from an SVR..?
Lawrence
They tried doing exactly what you said but unfortunately it didn't work. The recipient ECU kept rejecting the SVR software.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:35 PM
Received 857 Likes on 483 Posts

We can do it. And it does make more power. SDD might not be able to flash it at the dealer network but we can put the settings on any of the V8 cars.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 11-01-2016, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Tunes available to the dealer are VIN specific. You can't just take a tune from an SVR and download into an R as a number of things will conflict. You need to start with the tune from your R, and modify the tables to emulate the tune from the SVR. That requires doing a compare on hundreds of tables. If you go to that extreme, you might as well have the tuner tweak the tune to get you closer to that 650 number. Eurotoys or Velocity AP can help you with that.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:44 PM
Received 4,466 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I think Cambo commented somewhere that he tried to install the SVR tune on an R (or maybe it was a V8S) and even though it supposedly "stuck" the pre and post dyno runs showed no difference or improvement.
Yeah we spent ages on it. The SVR tune file from SDD is vin-locked, but it's also dependent on a number of other settings in the CCF being set to "SVR-specific values" and it's also coded to not go into a MY15 or earlier car. Stuart's crew get's around all this by using a Kess, not SDD...

JLR has tried their very best to not have a repeat of people flashing the higher powered tunes into lower-spec cars with SDD. I mean like putting the XKR-S tune into the XKR's, there was no protection against this at all. But now with the F-Type's and the SVR, P7, etc. they have made it "not worth the effort" compared to the XKR-S tune into XKR, XFR-S tune into XFR, F-Type R tune into V8S, etc...

Old 11-02-2016, 07:25 AM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
We can do it. And it does make more power. SDD might not be able to flash it at the dealer network but we can put the settings on any of the V8 cars.
I would be interested in the SVR steering, gearbox, throttle and suspension map enhancements.

Is this something that can be done without upping the engine power (extra power hike is not needed personally...yet!)?

Last edited by Tel; 11-02-2016 at 07:29 AM.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:20 AM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

Just get the Velocity AP tune and be done with it.

I did and I love it.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:19 AM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

Can we select to flash the audio/nav software only

Old 11-03-2016, 11:51 AM
Received 857 Likes on 483 Posts

Just to answer a couple of questions at once. We don't flash any of the body/chassis modules, drivetrain only. So throttle, timing, boost, torque tables etc. Yes. Infotainment, suspension/diff settings no.

Working on some options for transmission but that's a ways off.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com