F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charging a 2020 f-type battery ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging a 2020 f-type battery ?

HI.
New guy, Looked in search . Could not find answer. I read the owners manual it says I should remove the battery to charge it ? This is my first Jaguar so not sure, never removed a battery before to charge it. Please advise me in the correct procedure. Any tips on battery charging would be apericated.
Thanks
Joe SWF....

Old 03-19-2020, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,287 Likes on 1,382 Posts

Originally Posted by vet4scuba
HI.
New guy, Looked in search . Could not find answer. I read the owners manual it says I should remove the battery to charge it ? This is my first Jaguar so not sure, never removed a battery before to charge it. Please advise me in the correct procedure. Any tips on battery charging would be apericated.
Thanks
Joe SWF....
Not necessary if you are using a battery maintainer such as the CTEK (highly recommended). But if you are using a regular charger then you should definitely disconnect one of the battery leads (the connection on the trunk floor are obvious) - this is what Jaguar really means (and they are following "abundance of caution" principle in advising battery removal) - they want to make sure that the battery is isolated from the car's electronics during a substantial charge period.
A good battery maintainer, on the other hand, charges the battery very slowly at very low amps and no damage results. If you are not going to use the car for substantial distances weekly then you should install and use a CTEK or similar maintainer. The multiple modules in these cars require full voltage all the time (this is not a Jaguar thing - it is a fact of life with modern cars, especially luxury cars); if the battery voltage drops you will get a warning coming up but even before that you might experience bad behaviour in any of a number of systems (touch screen, warning lights, door handles, convertible roof...) - in all these cases the culprit is the poor underfed battery. If you are unaware of what I have just pointed out, your reaction might be that the ghost of Lucas still haunts Jaguar. It does not. There are multiple threads on the very easy intallation and use of the CTEK maintainers.

Last edited by sov211; 03-19-2020 at 02:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
scm (03-19-2020)
Old 03-19-2020, 02:49 PM

Battery location in 2020 F-Type ,,,, You said “ the location of the battery leads on the trunk floor are obvious “. I was under the impression the battery was located in the front of the car, under the hood on the right side ????

Thanks
Joe

Old 03-19-2020, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member

Battery location in 2020 F-Type ,,,, You said “ the location of the battery leads on the trunk floor are obvious “. I was under the impression the battery was located in the front of the car, under the hood on the right side ????

Thanks
Joe
Joe: you need to read your manual more thoroughly. The battery in the F-type is located in the trunk, under the removable panel, left side. What is under the hood on the right side are the remote emergency charging points, the positive under the red cover, and the negative is a stud located a bit further back, but close by.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:36 PM

Hi sov211.
Thanks for all the info & setting me straight nowhere to find the battery. I have found info from other members that said you could connect the battery maaintener directly to the Positive & negative terminals under the hood.

Joe

Old 03-19-2020, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member

Hi sov211.
Thanks for all the info & setting me straight nowhere to find the battery. I have found info from other members that said you could connect the battery maaintener directly to the Positive & negative terminals under the hood.

Joe
Yes, you can connect the maintainer at the points under the hood but that is more awkward than making the connections in the trunk (not directly to the battery - there are instructions in various threads).

Old 03-19-2020, 05:15 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

i just plugged the batter tender on the battery while connected to the car and had no problems through winter

Old 03-19-2020, 06:36 PM

HI.
Thanks again for all your help & ideas.

Joe SWF.

Old 05-24-2021, 08:00 AM

Yes, the problem is with the battery. This kind of problem can appear if the battery is in a bad condition, so it is discharging very fast. You can try to buy a new one or to recondition your old one, to see if it worth paying money on a new one. You can search on batterytools.net how to recondition your type of battery. I had a Lithium-Ion battery on my car, and after I reconditioned it, I understood that I don't even need to buy a new one, because all the problems I had with the electric system disappeared, so I saved some money.