F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charging System Fault

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 09:48 AM
Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by PBBarb
You mean translator? That was kind of what I thought you meant to say as well, but I'm pretty fluent in autocorrect it seems. Of course you didn't confirm whether it was overzealous autocorrect or if you were drinking a bit too much to be posting.
I think Thirsty Thursday speaks for itself

Old 05-25-2018, 09:52 AM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by addict
I think Thirsty Thursday speaks for itself
Is that a thing? If so, I'm going to have to start incorporating it into my week. Thursday is usually a training day at the gym for me so I could use something with a bit of kick afterward. Last night was just a hair appointment (had to put more teal in my hair since my husband is the only person who doesn't love it - at least I'm assuming that's what he implied by asking how long I'd have it this way), but if we're implementing Thirsty Thursday, I'm in next week and might even post afterward since I've been told people like my crazy, drunk posts.

Old 05-25-2018, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
As you've heard, these cars are quite sensitive to battery voltage. The 2nd battery is there to hold up the bus voltage to all the electronics while the starter battery restarts the car. Don't know what they do in cars without the 2nd battery.
The second battery in the early F-Type has one function only: it powers the ECO start/stop system! It has no other function and it was dispensed with in the later cars (2016 -). If the start/stop system is fulfilling its purpose in annoying you, it can be disabled by simply disconnection on of its battery leads. There is no effect whatever on the car other than disabling the start/stop function.

Old 05-25-2018, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

You mean translator? That was kind of what I thought you meant to say as well, but I'm pretty fluent in autocorrect it seems. Of course you didn't confirm whether it was overzealous autocorrect or if you were drinking a bit too much to be posting.
I can confirm that it is due to a LACK of alcohol consumption. I’ll get right on it though.

Old 05-25-2018, 02:16 PM

And shockingly, the new alternator didn't fix it. I guess the good news is, they finally recreated the door speaker rattle, so while they have her a bit longer, they will take care of that as well. I get it, because of the warranty thing they have to do exactly as JLR tells them to locate the issue, so I'm not upset with them even though we all suspect it is the battery. At least they are being thorough and not just slapping a bandaid on and sending her home with me only to have it reoccur or something worse happen next. I was hoping to show up for the PDE tomorrow in my girl, but now I'll show up looking like a successful pimp (I won't even say madam since this car to me looks like a pimpmobile). It's supposed to storm all weekend anyway, so other than that tomorrow morning, I had planned to stay in and get a bunch of stuff done around the house with just a couple of quick trips around the neighborhood on the motorcycle if I can. Which reminds me that I need to look into hemming my new leather pants. Short people problems. Plus someone just pointed out how short of a time I have left to finish 4 costumes that need a LOT of work! I will continue to work on my patience.

Old 05-25-2018, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd

I can confirm that it is due to a LACK of alcohol consumption. I’ll get right on it though.
You should! We all should! I won't tonight because like a dumbass I signed up for the 9-11 slot tomorrow and I'm NOT a morning person. Just ask the motorcycle instructor I almost ran down at 7 a.m. I don't even get up for work until 7:30 a.m. Tomorrow afterward is fair game though and a long weekend!

Old 05-25-2018, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

You should! We all should! I won't tonight because like a dumbass I signed up for the 9-11 slot tomorrow and I'm NOT a morning person. Just ask the motorcycle instructor I almost ran down at 7 a.m. I don't even get up for work until 7:30 a.m. Tomorrow afterward is fair game though and a long weekend!
You can't just keep saying "motorcycle" without telling us more about it.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
You can't just keep saying "motorcycle" without telling us more about it.
Sorry i thought I’d already bored y’all with it. My main ride around the neighborhood and get comfortable bike is a Honda Rebel 250. My gintage bike until we find the one i want is a 1962 Harley Pacer BT. Once we find me a Velocette MAC 350 we will sell the Harley. Once i get more proficient we will replace the Honda with a newish Triumph. My husband is full up with German vintage bikes including a couple of Zundapp, a Tornax and aince i havent looked in the garage in a couple of days there may be more. Until 2 weeks ago i had never riden a motorcycle.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:08 AM

Slight update. I really do think that y'all are right and it's the battery, but I'd rather be sure that it's nothing else while I'm still under warranty. At one point in the testing the voltage output was just under 13 volts but that was apparently fixed after the replacement of the dual battery module.

Anyway, got her back yesterday, and before I got to work it was lit back up. Before, it was intermittent and the next time I drove it would be gone, but now it come on every single time. So, I'm back in the "successful pimp" car as I "lovingly" call the XJL (the lady in charge of the loaners said she gave it back to me because 1. it's the nicest one they have and 2. she thought I could use the massaging seats and she isn't wrong).

What they've done to date:
Software update
Dual battery junction box
Fusebox
Converter-Ax Bat
Alternator
Dual battery module

Oh, and they also replaced my driver door speakers because of the buzz/rattle I was getting sometimes. Figured since they had her anyway....

So she's back in today. I know for warranty work they have to do things in a certain order and by the book and aren't really supposed to jump to conclusions, but . . . I miss my baby.

On the plus side, both my service advisor and the lady who assigns loaners call my car by her name.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Back to basics: have they DEFINITELY proven that the battery is holding full charge and putting out full voltage? or are they just going to continue to throw parts at it? The most common cause of electrical issues on ALL modern cars is low battery voltage - which produces random symptoms. And this is why every luxury car manufacturer offers the CTEK battery maintainer (a couple of them offer it as a standard accessory). (I know...you have heard this all before)

My no-electrical-issue (in fact no-issue-at-all) F-Type sleeping, happily attached to its CTEK unit:

Attached Thumbnails Charging System Fault-jaguar-f-type-006.jpg  
Old 06-01-2018, 07:27 PM

They claim the battery is fine (trust me, I asked multiple times). They actually called me at the end of the work day because they discovered that one of the wires to the alternator was loose. After an hour in the car (bad traffic because of the heavy storms) it came on again. I've currently got a charger/maintainer hooked up that my husband had in the garage and it says it's charging. I've got the ctek on order already but I'm going to keep it hooked up to this one over the weekend and see what happens. I only took it in first because warranty is still in effect and I just wanted to be sure there wasn't something else going on (I believed y'all to begin with). I'll see how it goes this weekend with keeping it hooked up when not driving and go from there. I'll keep you updated.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Yep, even if you have to pay for it yourself the best bet is to put a brand new battery in, odds on that will cure the problems and prevent more hassles and dealer visits in future.
Just make sure it is fully charged before it is installed.
Replacing a four year old battery is probably not a warranty claim but you might get lucky.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:53 PM

Yeah, I didn't expect it to be covered (although I've heard sometimes they are after this kind of thing). I was just trying to err on the side of caution. If this works over the weekend, I'll get my husband to get me a new battery and get it fully charged and install it next weekend while I'm out of town.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:11 AM

I couldn't keep it hooked up all weekend like I'd wanted to. Since there's no room in the garage with 12 motorcycles in there (slight eye roll here), and we had some big storms roll through, I didn't want to leave the type of charger/maintainer he had exposed (plus I couldn't close the hood completely), but so far things seem fine. Once I get back from my trip this weekend to Houston, I'm going to work on getting the permanent set up like some of you have. From what I'm reading in the paperwork they gave me, some of the parts did indeed need replacing since before the junction box/fusebox/module were replaced, there was voltage being lost and afterward there wasn't. So I think after those were replaced, the battery just needed a good charge and will just need to be maintained and probably replaced in the near future (with the addition of the charger/maintainer). Plus I have the bonus of the speakers being replaced and now things sound better on that front as well. I also now know that although the XJL is a very nice vehicle, I have no desire to ever own one.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:28 AM

Ok, as a follow up - I finally convinced my husband that I really do need a new battery, regardless of what their testing said. So, is there a better brand that I should look for or just anything that fits my car according to various auto parts stores around town? Last night right before I pulled in the driveway the fault came back on so I plugged it up to the charger/maintainer he has and when I went to unplug it a few hours later it still hadn't flipped to maintain so I finally made my point, but I want to make sure we get a good quality one and not just the one that happens to be in stock and closest to the house. I tried a search, but most threads I saw didn't mention this (just what happens when the battery is going bad and to replace it, etc.). I'm currently looking at what local places carry, but figured I'd start here rather than recreating the wheel. If I need to order online and have shipped to get good quality, I'm fine with that as well, especially since I'm leaving town Thursday evening and won't be back until Sunday evening.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Couple of tips on the battery.
Make sure you get one that is fresh. Some sit on the shelf longer than others.
Get it from Costco- you will get a fresh one and be able to return it a few times if its not good. I have once had to replace 2 batteries in a row on my truck that were from a bad batch.

I have a suspicion as to what your problem could be. Jaguar has a battery gauge that tells the car how much capacity it has. There is a procedure for the dealer to reset it when you install a new battery. So theoretically, the gauge has from experience computed that your battery has 'x' capacity (as batteries diminish over time) and its seeing conflating results outside its known parameters.

Please check with others here who are familiar with Jaguar software.

The following users liked this post:
PBBarb (06-05-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Couple of tips on the battery.
Make sure you get one that is fresh. Some sit on the shelf longer than others.
Get it from Costco- you will get a fresh one and be able to return it a few times if its not good. I have once had to replace 2 batteries in a row on my truck that were from a bad batch.

I have a suspicion as to what your problem could be. Jaguar has a battery gauge that tells the car how much capacity it has. There is a procedure for the dealer to reset it when you install a new battery. So theoretically, the gauge has from experience computed that your battery has 'x' capacity (as batteries diminish over time) and its seeing conflating results outside its known parameters.

Please check with others here who are familiar with Jaguar software.
Interesting, I just looked at Costco's site and after filling in my car's information, they say they have no battery that fits.

What I've found so far:
AutoZone - Duralast Platinum
Advance Auto - AutoCraft Platinum
Carid - ACDelco
O'Reilly - Super Start
Ebay - OEM Not even sure that's the right one - just a quick search to see what I could find.

Just didn't know if there was any one preferred brand over another by anyone here. I trust y'all and with my last car, both batteries were done at the dealer because you had to remove the body panel behind the wheel well to change it so didn't really have much of an option there.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

You should be able to get Costco to order you one- thus fresh. However if you are short on time. Pepboys has the next best alternative, a Bosch battery- 5year warranty. (they are all the same in reality- its just a matter of who stands behind it the best)
I have a slightly larger engine than yours and mine calls for an AGM. Is yours an AGM?

Old 06-05-2018, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

So I just checked. Indeed the Pep Boys one has the best warranty.
But its now 4 years.
It was 7 at one point!
https://www.pepboys.com/product/deta...05.0L%2520DOHC

Old 06-05-2018, 11:48 AM

Yes, all the batteries coming up are AGM. Weird, when I click on your Pep Boys link it takes me to the main battery search page and says they don't have one that fits my car. Of course we could order one from them. Not really a huge rush, right now the fault light is just annoying as all get out (but at least I know everything else is fine). I'm guessing these days most batteries are fairly decent. I'll contact both and see about ordering one and see what the price is and the turn around on getting it. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Charging System Fault