F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charging System Fault

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 08:57 AM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

So my husband decided to take my car to the dealer for the new battery. He decided that he didn't want to mess with it and didn't want to give them any reason not to continue honoring the warranty (you know the whole, you didn't install this exactly to specifications, or this battery isn't as good as ours, etc.). SUPPOSEDLY he put it on to charge while I was out of town (he did all of this while I was in Texas). I have my doubts there. So of course, yesterday as I was leaving work the fault came on again. I was so involved in something else last night, so forgot to go back out to deal with it, but this evening I plan to unplug the battery for a bit and then charge it to make sure it's fully charged before taking her in again. And the saga may or may not continue.

Which reminds me, I need to go search for how to reset my windows - funny how quickly you get used to not having to hold that stupid button down/up.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:00 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

The window reset procedure is in your manual, though I'm sure some here can recite it off the top of their head. Don't think I've ever had to do it.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:03 AM

Oh, I know, it was more a note to myself to remember to go look for it. Sometimes if I write it down (or type it somewhere), I retain it and remember to actually do it. I'm weird. Don't judge me!

Old 06-13-2018, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Since I mess around with everything so much, the window reset is SOP.
1. Turn on ignition without starting engine (don’t depress brake pedal).
2. Lower window, leaving button depressed for 2-3 seconds after it goes down all the way. (You might even hear a click at the 2 second mark)
3. Raise the window and continue lifting on the button for 2-3 seconds after it gets to the top.
4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 four or five times.
5. Test the auto-up. If it still doesn’t work, repeat steps2 & 3 a few more times. Each window gets reprogrammed separately. Sometimes only one window loses the programming.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Since I mess around with everything so much, the window reset is SOP.
1. Turn on ignition without starting engine (don’t depress brake pedal).
2. Lower window, leaving button depressed for 2-3 seconds after it goes down all the way. (You might even hear a click at the 2 second mark)
3. Raise the window and continue lifting on the button for 2-3 seconds after it gets to the top.
4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 four or five times.
5. Test the auto-up. If it still doesn’t work, repeat steps2 & 3 a few more times. Each window gets reprogrammed separately. Sometimes only one window loses the programming.
Thanks hon! I actually did it with the engine running yesterday and only took once for each window. At least that's an easy one. So far so good, so I'll see how today goes.

Also, I had to laugh yesterday - there's a light I get stuck at pretty much every night on my way home. There is a hand car wash/window tinting place on the corner (not super high end, but not a sketch place - usually a nice mix of MB, Audi. Before I had this car, I was driving my husband's Kia and they came over to ask what it was, etc. Yesterday, since it's always a long light, one of them was appointed spokesperson and came over to ask about my car. He mentioned that they hear me coming every day, love seeing the car and were wondering if it was the V8, etc. We had a nice chat and it just made me laugh when he said they always had warning that I was about to be stuck at the light since they could hear me when I took off from the stop sign a couple of blocks from them. So the car doesn't just put a huge grin on my face, it's apparently the highlight of some other people's days as well.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:30 AM

So, just to update this continuing saga (sorry I've been MIA lately, but besides this, we've had 3 pet emergencies, some family drama, work has been nuts, and I've just been super busy):

So, since the battery replacement the fault popped up again a couple of times, and then twice I had absolutely no sound from anything audio, but then that was fine (and apparently it triggered no fault, but I did think to record showing me trying FM, Satellite, Bluetooth, and USB and adjusting the sound with nothing coming out of the speakers and sent that video to them). I dropped her off at the dealer on 7/3 because I was leaving town anyway. My original factory warranty ends Wednesday, so last Wednesday, even though they'd done a couple of short trips around the block and nothing had triggered, they asked if they could just keep the car until Wednesday to prevent any delay getting back in. So of course this morning it popped up AGAIN. I'm at this point wondering if there's a loose wire/connect in there somewhere and of course CPO doesn't cover wiring or I wouldn't care - I don't think I should have to pay for this particular ongoing thing until it is actually fixed.

So that leads me to a question (or a few). Since this is something known well before my warranty runs out, will this issue still be covered under warranty? I've asked them and am still waiting for an answer. Seems like since they've had my car for 1/4 of the time I've owned it, and they still haven't found the actual issue, it should still be covered. Does anyone know someone at Jaguar corporate I could ask? I sent a generic email through the contact us link they have last week but of course still haven't gotten a response.

Seriously, if this doesn't get fixed soon, my husband will never let me live it down and probably will try to talk me out of anything I want in the future (looking at you Triumph bike at the dealer).

Old 07-16-2018, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 410 Posts

While I can't speak for JLR, I've had somewhat similar situations with other brands. Whenever I have a car coming up to the end of warranty, I make sure to flag the problem with the service department in advance. Intermittent problems like yours, are obviously tricky because it needs to fail while they're checking out the problem AND have them do the correct fix. I all cases, I've had no difficulty getting the problems covered if they arose again in a reasonable "post-warranty" timeframe.

Meanwhile, I agree with your theory that there is a bad ground in the system. Replacing the battery was a fine idea; while it didn't fix the problem, it did eliminate a reasonable suspect.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

I would have a heart to heart with the service manager.
I would ask him to get this booked under your warranty right away, even if it takes him a while to find the problem.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:53 PM

I've released the leash from my husband and am letting him deal with it now. I mean, they've already had the car in their possession over a month (I'm going to sit down tonight with all of my paperwork and figure out how many days they've had the car and what all has been replaced to date, etc.). I mean, it's documented that every times it's been in it has been for the exact same fault, so it is obvious that everything they have done so far hasn't fixed it and this has all been well within the warranty period. My advisor did talk to the service manager today and the response at this point is that if it continues after Wednesday and whatever else needs to be replaces isn't covered by my CPO, "we would do everything in our power to assist with the repairs needed." I'm not sure exactly what that means, but other that getting documents together and possibly contacting someone at corporate, I'm going to let him deal with it - I'm sometimes too nice and which he's not nasty, he is very insistent and usually gets what he wants/needs.

I just don't want it to get to be Thursday and then suddenly "Oh, a bunch of wiring needs to be replaced and gee, it's not covered by the CPO, so . . . " I don't think that's what they are doing, but that's what I'm trying to avoid. So far a bunch of computer modules have been replaced, the alternator, the battery, and I can't even remember what else.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by PBBarb
I've released the leash from my husband and am letting him deal with it now. I mean, they've already had the car in their possession over a month (I'm going to sit down tonight with all of my paperwork and figure out how many days they've had the car and what all has been replaced to date, etc.). I mean, it's documented that every times it's been in it has been for the exact same fault, so it is obvious that everything they have done so far hasn't fixed it and this has all been well within the warranty period. My advisor did talk to the service manager today and the response at this point is that if it continues after Wednesday and whatever else needs to be replaces isn't covered by my CPO, "we would do everything in our power to assist with the repairs needed." I'm not sure exactly what that means, but other that getting documents together and possibly contacting someone at corporate, I'm going to let him deal with it - I'm sometimes too nice and which he's not nasty, he is very insistent and usually gets what he wants/needs.

I just don't want it to get to be Thursday and then suddenly "Oh, a bunch of wiring needs to be replaced and gee, it's not covered by the CPO, so . . . " I don't think that's what they are doing, but that's what I'm trying to avoid. So far a bunch of computer modules have been replaced, the alternator, the battery, and I can't even remember what else.
Since you documented the problem extensively prior to the expiration of the warranty, the repairs are certain to be covered.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Since you documented the problem extensively prior to the expiration of the warranty, the repairs are certain to be covered.
I was hoping that would be the case, but I don't like to assume things like this.

Honestly, this is my first car I've had in under warranty (also my first higher end car - before this mostly Mustangs, my Solstice and my stupid attempt at being a grown up with my Volvo V40. My dad was a mechanic before retiring so on all of those he and I did the work on them (he had all kinds of certifications on Volvo, and the others were generic enough) but now he's retired and doesn't want to touch this one of these anyway (we had a neighbor in the 80s who had a Jag and my dad worked on it a few times, then found electrical system issues and told the neighbor he wouldn't touch that, the guy took it to the dealer to get worked on and when driving home it caught on fire so I now have that in the back of my head as well).

I need something to go right - crazy busy at work, car constantly in the shop, husband decided not to get me the new motorcycle I wanted (which I fully admit I'm not ready for yet, but since it was a good deal I wanted it to sit in the garage as an inducement to get better so I can handle it), and this morning I realized I screwed up royally and my boss is in the middle of a huge meeting and doesn't realize he no longer has a room at the hotel he stayed at last night (and he needs to go get his stuff out of the room) because neither of us noticed that his reservation was for one night and not two and they are sold out tonight. I just want to go home and crawl into bed.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

My mystery electrical glitches turned out to be a loose connection at the battery. The nut on the terminal clamp was tight, but the clamp was pinched fully closed. The posts are tapered, so it wasn't clamping as it should. I found this by grabbing the cables and wiggling them. I hope the trouble with yours is as annoyingly simple.

Good luck with the rest of the drama as well.

The following users liked this post:
PBBarb (07-17-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Let's see now...did anyone suggest early on that the battery and/or connections might explain this seemingly complex problem?(the answer is YES). I remain unconvinced that this has been properly investigated - putting a new battery in (which may not be fully charged - they rarely are) also might not fix the problem. Modern cars (of all makes) are known to require full battery voltage for some modules to work properly. When they do not have full voltage strange issues appear - and faults in the convertible top action is just one of the symptoms (see the XK forum...). Modern auto technicians rarely apply critical-thinking to problem-solving. They are trained, encouraged, in fact, to replace parts as solution #1.That often works but sometimes it is because in replacing a component they have inadvertently corrected a loose (intermittent) connection!

Old 07-18-2018, 11:18 AM

Ok, I typed a long response to this and lost it when my computer locked up. The gist is

Since I've mentioned the battery to them multiple times and they just keep assuring me it is testing fine, how would you suggest I approach them about it? I am not being snarky to you (it may come across that way because of my mood, but I'm really not - I just don't know what else to say to them).

I haven't really had anything strange going on with it (did have the one day where twice there was no sound from the audio, but that was it and that didn't even throw a code) other than the code/fault. No issues with anything else. The only sign there is something wrong is the fault itself. It is becoming less intermittent though, so I guess there's that.

Honestly, as long as they've had my car in the shop, they should have replaced the whole charging system WHILE IT WAS UNDER WARRANTY! If they think they can hold on to my car until the warranty ends today, and then suddenly discover that it is indeed a wiring issue that isn't covered under CPO and think they are going to charge me, they are in for a world of hurt since I've already started researching corporate officers and registered agents for the parent company. I have also reached out to JLR North America since the service manager won't even tell us if this issues has been escalated to Jaguar yet.

I took possession on March 17, first visit to the shop was May 14 and as of today, 33 days in the shop. I'm over it. I want it fixed, even if that means replacing that entire system, wiring, all modules (which I'd think they've pretty much done all of that), but basically anything in the charging system should be replaced at this point if they are still this clueless.

I have a lot of patience, but they have just found the end of it. My bosses are amused because in the 4 years we've worked together on super stressful litigation, they have NEVER seen me this angry and they are offering to help me with the research needed if this isn't fixed. Sorry, the dam has burst and now that I'm mad, everybody needs to just get out of my way. I am tired of my neighbors making fun of me always being in a loaner. I am tired of people I don't know in the parking deck asking me what I'm driving today because they haven't seen my car in a while (again). I'm tired of my husband saying I told you so about getting the car. I'm tired of all this drama and just want my car fixed and back with me.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:54 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

good luck with ATL jag dealers they are all owned by the same guy and I've yet to talk to any competent F Type tech....clueless

Old 07-18-2018, 01:06 PM

Great! That's what I was afraid of. I already know the independent shop I'll go to once I'm out of warranty, but for now I'm kind of stuck. I hadn't researched if the North Atlanta was also part of that family's group of dealers, but was afraid it would be. I knew the Gwinnett location was. As soon as I finish something for one of the lawyers here, I'm going to start on the letter I'm sending to the three brothers who own it and I'm sending it to them overnight. They don't know (yet) what a pain I can be when I'm pushed. I think I already annoyed them because yesterday I paid for access to all the docs in TOPIx and sent them a page that was highlighted with my issue and asked if any of those things had been checked. I was told yes, but that they don't report or put in the system everything they do. I don't believe that for a second. I get the feeling since the service manager is not responding to me that they are waiting until the warranty runs to "suddenly" find the issue and gee, it's something not covered by CPO, so now you have to pay. I've got enough of the lawyers here wanting to see how this turns out that I will have no lack of help going after them if they really do try to screw me over on this. I'll have to see where the next closest dealer is for next time I need warranty stuff (Alabama? North Florida? Tennessee? South Carolina?).

Old 07-18-2018, 01:08 PM

If you want to cite another Jaguar owner that is VERY unhappy with the Hennessy dealerships let me know. Send me a pm.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:09 PM

I've taken mine to all 3 of the Jag dealers in Atlanta...Gwinnett is the worst, North Point ungodly slow and Buckhead is clueless as well. I've been taking mine to Buckhead even tho I live in Gwinnett

Old 07-18-2018, 01:46 PM

Thank you. I'm about to send you a pm since I'm going to call the number I was given by the dealer I bought the car from. So far I've just been to Buckhead since I live in town. If you want the name of the independent shop recommended to me (I think he has two locations - one in Chamblee and one in Norcross and the owner is a Rover buddy of one of my friends who has both a Jag and I think 3 Rovers). Like I said, I'm only going the dealer route until I'm out of warranty and then I'll go to him.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

You sound just like I felt today when I went to pick up my Pantera, and again it wasn't ready as promised. I was so ticked off, I emailed the owner and told him, I'm sending a flatbed to pick it up, and I'll find someone else to fix the last issue. Four years is long enough, I told him I'm officially out of patience! Good luck with getting yours fixed.

Quick Reply: Charging System Fault