F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charging System Fault

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 10:15 AM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

Yeah, mine was trying to be subtle and everyone I found that I liked, he'd find something (yes, usually valid) that was wrong and talk me out of it, but we both agreed on this one (low mileage, still in factory warranty with CPO, V6s instead of V8 since he really didn't want the car impounded and me going to jail, etc.) so I do try to remind him that he showed me this one first and agreed to it. And yes, the people I work with laugh and say how unreliable Jag is (they said it to begin with but I tried telling them that was back in the 80s and things are different now) AND people I don't even work with approach me in the parking deck at work to find out what I'm driving right now since they haven't seen my car in a while (one lady told me it's such a flashy car and that I have very eye-catching hair so she's noticed that I haven't been in my car in weeks. Heck, even the guy who mans the exit to help idiots who can't figure out how to pay if they aren't monthly parkers comments and I keep getting texts and emails from some of the APD officers who direct traffic in the evening for updates because they look for my car. So yeah, I'm getting it from everywhere. If I can convince my husband to get the upgrade of a motorcycle I want this weekend, I may start riding it to work just so I don't have to deal with that kind of thing.

And in case anyone but me cares, owned the car 145 days, 52 days (and counting in the shop) so I've had the car in my possession 93 days.

I did send an email asking about either driving one of the techs around so they can be with me when the code pops, or for them to keep a loaner set aside for me and let me drive my own car and I'll come straight there and swap out when the code comes up again or they can update me daily with the miles driven and routes taken for test drives. I'll see what they say. I'm getting very close to not being a nice person about it and since I do work with lawyers (and one of them knows all this drama because he wanted to trade his Audi in for one until this started) I may start talking to him about what (if any) options I have to be made whole here.

Oh, and what set off the latest foul mood - I had to renew my tag this month (luckily now I don't have the old ad valorem system), but when the sticker comes in the mail I'll be annoyed all over again without a car/tag to put it on, which also reminded me I have a birthday coming up (thanks for the Happy Birthday FU from the State Department of Revenue). Oh, and this morning was PERFECT convertible weather and I was stuck in an SUV.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by PBBarb
So latest non-update kind of update. They can't seem to get the code to come up. Crazy considering it came on within a mile of their location when I picked it up and again the following morning when my husband drove to them to drop off again (AND he had the whole screen going blank issue that apparently doesn't give any codes, just like the time I had screen but no audio threw no codes). So I am in yet another Disco (I'm thankful for the loaner, but just tired of having the other end of the spectrum from what I bought). Seriously, if I'd wanted a freaking Disco (or SUV of any kind) I'd have purchased one. So now out of 145 days of ownership, they have had it 52.

A friend suggested I ask them about driving with one of their guys in the car since then they'd be with me when it throws the code. I'm swiftly losing patience because if they haven't gotten the code in over a week, that tells me they aren't actually test driving it. I've now sent my spreadsheet showing what codes and what was replaced to a friend (he does his own work on his Jag and his Rovers and all of his other cars, but one of his Rover buddies owns a shop in town that specializes in JLR and I'm going to talk to him too and see what he thinks). I'm tempted to take it elsewhere to get it actually fixed and then go after the dealer and corporate for reimbursement. I'm losing what little trust I had in the dealer very quickly and feel like I'm being jerked around at this point.

So, absolutely no resolution. At this point corporate has offered to pay my Sirius/XM bill because I finally suspended my account since I've been paying for a service I don't use and the loaner has an expired trial. It's the little things that are slowly adding up to goad me into becoming their worst nightmare.

Oh, and today's research project - B1402-96 is the code. A quick search shows a TSB for an XF in 2013 or 2014 (can't remember now) for that code being thrown falsely by a gateway module (I'm showing the gateway module was replaced sometime in July (hard to pinpoint since they had the car pretty much the whole month)), so I'm about to head down the rabbit hole.
Disconnect the ECO battery and see if that changes the symptoms you are experiencing.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:24 AM

If I ever have the car back in my possession again, I'll try that. Seriously, since July 3 the car has been out of the shop from 6:15 p.m. on July 31 through 7:30 a.m. August 1. They don't take kindly when I make suggestions, but screw it, I'm making suggestions and told them I'm going to start making more and more suggestions and even told them that I will drive one of the techs around so that they will be with me when the thing pops up again since it hasn't gone more than a mile for me without it in forever yet they can't seem to get it to happen.

I sent my spreadsheet to my friend and he said we need to actually talk because this is going to be more complicated than an email or texting, so depending on his schedule, we'll either talk or get together for drinks in the next few days.

I'll let you know about disconnecting the ECO battery (since I know they'll ignore it and not really do it even if they say they do). To say I'm annoyed at this point is an understatement, can you tell?

Old 08-09-2018, 11:40 AM

In case anyone is curious about what all has been replaced/done. I've attached the spreadsheet I've started that shows dates in shop, what was replaced, mileage in/out, codes, notes from me, etc.

Attached Files
File Type: xlsx
Service Log.xlsx (12.6 KB, 75 views)
Old 08-10-2018, 02:49 PM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

I really feel for your situation.
I love my F Type and can't easily imagine how it would be not to be able to drive it every day.

I believe that these cars are generally reliable these days, in the late 60s through to possibly 1980s there were more reliability problems.

Even since the 1990s things have been better, my last Jaguar was a 1993 V12 XJS that was 21 years old when I bought it, it only broke down once (a faulty fuel relay) and was my daily driver for three years and over 60,000 miles.

Don't know about legal situation in US regarding faulty cars, but I might be tempted to suggest, request or even insist that they provide the same model as a loaner.

Several years ago I had problems with my GT-R, which I had owned from new. I wasn't too happy to be driving a Nissan Cube (a horrible boxy creation) provided as a courtesy vehicle whilst the GT-R was being fixed. To make matters worse the Nissan dealer had painted the rear of the Cube with "my other car is a GT-R", funny if you had it for one day but added to the loss when it was weeks. After two weeks I spoke to the dealer principal / owner, pointed out that I had spent £75000 to his business to own and drive a GT-R and wasn't willing to drive the Cube any longer, next day I was driving a brand new GT-R (a demonstrator) supplied by Nissan UK, I had this for the entire time mine was being repaired (two months). It restored my faith in their customer service, happy customers tell the story to others.

All models of all manufactures will have some problems, how a company resolves these and the steps they take to please their customers whilst problems are undergoing rectification helps determine their reputation.

Consider further contact with Jaguar USA if the dealer can't offer something that you're happy with whilst waiting for your F Type to be fixed.

Last edited by Paul_59; 08-10-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:40 PM

Well, I have another update today. Yesterday I contacted them and suggested 3 ways to go forward since they couldn't recreate the fault.

1. Let me get my car and drive it with the tech present since both times recently it happened within a mile of their location. That way too, he would see how I drive, if I'm leaning on something, etc.

2. Let me get my car and drive as normal and the second it pops up, I drop everything and go straight there with the light on (so no start/stop) and get in immediately. Obviously, the hope is it would happen during business hours.

3. Give me a list daily of what mileage was driven daily and the route taken so that I could make suggestions based on where and how far into my drives it usually happens and on what kinds of roads.

I heard back late yesterday that their tech had wanted to suggested #1 to me already (why it hadn't been passed along I don't know). So, after discussing when was best for me to be away from the office today, I settled on doing a long lunch and went there today. While driving I learned a lot more from the tech than the front office had shared (whether on purpose or because they just don't know the information or didn't think to pass it along). As of now, the entire charging system has been replaced - all modules and the battery cable (not sure if there are other cables, but I'll see when I get the paperwork). The fault did not come back and since they can't recreate the fault, and it didn't come up then, I took my car and if the light comes on again (hopefully during business hours, which is likely since when I get home from work I usually switch to the motorcycle), I will not turn the car off and will go straight to them so he can hook it up with the light actively on. Let's just say my mood while driving an SUV v. my car apparently shows since everyone there noticed a difference (even before I realized I got to take my car home). They have now also made a note that future loaners (hopefully only for regular maintenance) will be cars, so that's a step in the right direction. I did joke with them that I might be open to a swap of mine for the 2015 V8 (same color even) on their lot - figured the bigger engine and year newer was a good offset for the difference in mileage. I didn't think to say anything about the loaner because honestly, this is the first car I've had where they give loaners on a regular basis (with my Pontiac, when they couldn't figure out how to even open my trunk for over a week, they finally offered me a Tahoe as a loaner . . . my Solstice would have fit in the back of that thing!). If pushed, I really could do without the loaner, but it's easier than juggling my husband's vehicles to give me something decent to drive on a daily basis. Plus, I kept hoping I wouldn't be in the thing for that long.

So, hopefully it is fixed. We will see over the next week I suppose. They aren't closing the ticket out yet for now to give me time to see what happens to save us all some time if I do have to come back. Once we all have a good feeling (by we all I really mean me and my husband) that it's really fixed, then they can close the ticket and JLRNA has been talking about gestures of good will once I'm satisfied with it. No idea what that means, but so far they have offered to pay for my Sirius/XM since I was annoyed that I forgot to suspend my service and had been paying for it. Meh, I don't care about that honestly, but also not sure what they really mean by a gesture of good will. As long as my car is really fixed this time, I honestly don't care.

I remember the issues Jaguar had back in the day (our neighbor's late-70s/early 80s caught on fire on his way home from being in the shop for electrical work), but I also knew that they weren't like that anymore and felt safe with my choice. I know there are always potential issues with any car, regardless of age/make/model, but I'm tired of always being the one who does the research and then still ends up with the problem child. In my brief "I'm going to be a grown up and have a grown up car" phase when I had a Volvo (keep in mind my dad was mainly a Volvo mechanic, but worked on many European makes), it was so bad when I'd show up to see him whether at an independent shop or a dealer, everyone would drop what they were doing to come see what weirdness I had that day.

I'll keep everyone posted, if for nothing else, but to maybe help someone else later on.

Also, the two glitches with the audio/video were mentioned - they didn't throw any codes, and it was suggested it was a software glitch, much like when your phone spontaneously reboots. I'll be keeping an eye on that as well. For now, I'm just happy to have my girl back (and I already accidentally set off someone's car alarm in the parking deck when I came roaring in after lunch). Now tomorrow to go look at a potential next step up beginner motorcycle (hopefully moving from my Rebel 250 to a CB500F) and then a bunch of costume building in this weekend and my life is back on track and maybe I'll be a nicer person for a bit. Maybe. I'll certainly be around here again more often since I'm happier.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by PBBarb

Also, the two glitches with the audio/video were mentioned - they didn't throw any codes
Those are not glitches and may shed a lot of light on your saga.

When the car senses (rightly or wrongly) that the battery is low, it shuts down audio and video.

I am shocked that they could not tell you that.

The same battery capacity monitor is the thing solely responsible for 'charging system fault' message

Old 08-16-2018, 11:41 AM

I'm not shocked by anything at this point honestly - I was spoiled growing up since my dad was a mechanic and did all my work, so I'm not used to dealing with dealership bs, but I'm learning quickly. As long as it is all fixed, I don't even care anymore. I'm debating the next time I need something done, driving the 2 hours to the dealership in the next state over. So far since I got the car back on Friday, things have been fine, so here's hoping that last going through and tightening all the connections again did the trick. Why that wasn't done before I picked her up on 7/31 I don't know.

Everyone (including JLRNA) is waiting though before concluding this is fixed. If the no sound or black screen happens again (with or without a fault), I'll certainly be going back in, but hopefully it was tied to whatever was going on and if that's now fixed, hopefully this is too.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:30 PM
rrd
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Following. Have you had any other symptoms with the battery charge fault other than the blacked out screen and no audio?

I just picked up my 2015 R about a month and a half ago, 9.6k miles on the odo when delivered, I've since put about 800 trouble-free-until-now miles. I got the battery charge fault last weekend about halfway through a twisty drive and it deteriorated pretty rapidly from there. Within about half an hour, different systems started failing - ABS fault, brake fault, DSC fault, e-diff fault, gearbox fault, flickering screen (and eventually blacked out screen). Tried to nurse it home, but then it went into limp mode (at first it seemed like it wasn't producing any boost and then it just seemed to cut power almost all together). Had it towed home because the nearest dealership that EliteCare directed me to has service closed on the weekends and "there was no space for it on the lot". To the garage it went. Tried to nurse it to the dealership earlier this week since it's only 7 miles away, the car didn't make it 3 before dying all together.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:39 PM

No, just the fault light on the dash. The no audio only happened once and the black screen (with audio still working) only happened once. Otherwise, if I hadn't had the message show up on the dash, I'd have never known anything was going on. Also, mine was very intermittent - it would show up and the next time you cranked it, it would be gone, then a few days later it would pop up again. I didn't have any other systems with issues (always the same fault code when they pulled the codes), nothing ever actually failed completely. Yours sounds both worse (lots of things involved), but also possibly better because it's probably something easier to find/fix. I hope so!

Old 08-16-2018, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by rrd
different systems started failing - ABS fault, brake fault, DSC fault, e-diff fault, gearbox fault, flickering screen (and eventually blacked out screen).
So your battery is kaput.
Categorically what happened to my car when the battery died.

Funny thing is that although I know a thing or two about cars and electronics, I started overthinking and believing the ediff fault and gearbox fault.

Cars have become highly electronic, even the differential has a computer, but the battery technology is essentially the same since the 1930's.
You can see why they need batteries all the time.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
So your battery is kaput.
Categorically what happened to my car when the battery died.

Funny thing is that although I know a thing or two about cars and electronics, I started overthinking and believing the ediff fault and gearbox fault.

Cars have become highly electronic, even the differential has a computer, but the battery technology is essentially the same since the 1930's.
You can see why they need batteries all the time.
Time to get a battery from this century. Get a lithium with restart technology. If the battery is failing, it will kick off before other issues start arising from low voltage, making diagnosis far easier. It also shuts of the current draw if you leave something turned on too long. Only about 50% more pricey than a Jag replacement battery, and only weighs 10-12 lbs. vs 60.

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (08-17-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 06:41 AM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Time to get a battery from this century. Get a lithium with restart technology. If the battery is failing, it will kick off before other issues start arising from low voltage, making diagnosis far easier. It also shuts of the current draw if you leave something turned on too long. Only about 50% more pricey than a Jag replacement battery, and only weighs 10-12 lbs. vs 60.
I agree that lead acid batteries have limitations despite improvement with sealed batteries and agm. I agree that having a cut out module to prevent over discharge whilst sufficient reserve capacity to start vehicle would be beneficial and could be implemented into car battery lead.

I agree that Lithium battery technology has several advantages.

Where my view differs from your is view cost, I can buy an excellent quality lead acid agm battery for my F Type for £200 or less ($255 at current exchange rate), Lithium battery of equivalent capacity cannot be bought for £300 or even £600.
My recollection is the group buy on this forum was looking at a price in excess of £780 ( $1000)

When I looked into this I found widespread use of terns such as "equivalent to xx Ah lead acid" by lithium battery vendors, which is misleading at best.

There are well established standards for comparison of battery capacity, including batteries of different technology.

Ah (amp hour) is not dependent on technology, it's measured typically by discharge at C/10 or C/20 rate of discharge.

Alternatively, perhaps more accurate to state battery capacity in Wh (watt hours)

Lithium battery technology has many advantages however if you obtain a lithium battery that is genuinely equivalent capacity to 95Ah CCA 850 EN(A) F Type oem battery it will cost substantially more and not have the weight saving that are claimed.

If weight saving is your priority and you accept significantly higher cost and reduced capacity then they're the way to go.

Last edited by Paul_59; 08-18-2018 at 06:44 AM.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Paul_59
I agree that lead acid batteries have limitations despite improvement with sealed batteries and agm. I agree that having a cut out module to prevent over discharge whilst sufficient reserve capacity to start vehicle would be beneficial and could be implemented into car battery lead.

I agree that Lithium battery technology has several advantages.

Where my view differs from your is view cost, I can buy an excellent quality lead acid agm battery for my F Type for £200 or less ($255 at current exchange rate), Lithium battery of equivalent capacity cannot be bought for £300 or even £600.
My recollection is the group buy on this forum was looking at a price in excess of £780 ( $1000)

When I looked into this I found widespread use of terns such as "equivalent to xx Ah lead acid" by lithium battery vendors, which is misleading at best.

There are well established standards for comparison of battery capacity, including batteries of different technology.

Ah (amp hour) is not dependent on technology, it's measured typically by discharge at C/10 or C/20 rate of discharge.

Alternatively, perhaps more accurate to state battery capacity in Wh (watt hours)

Lithium battery technology has many advantages however if you obtain a lithium battery that is genuinely equivalent capacity to 95Ah CCA 850 EN(A) F Type oem battery it will cost substantially more and not have the weight saving that are claimed.

If weight saving is your priority and you accept significantly higher cost and reduced capacity then they're the way to go.
You have expressed some good thoughts. I too initially struggled with these issues. Let me offer some counter points, though:
A. Regarding cost effectiveness, lithiums are expected to have 5 times the longevity. I can attest to that based on my experience with motorcycle batteries which I had been replacing every couple of years. The first lithium battery I purchased in 2012 is still in operation.
B. Regarding capacity, The $630 RS-30 I purchased provides 1200 cold cranking amps and 30Ah (50Ah PbEq). That provides 25% more juice to the starter than the OEM battery.
1) Yes, the total energy storage is only 30-50%, but modern day electronically managed engines are either going to fire right up, or won't start at all. It's not like the old days when you would have to crank a poorly tuned engine a couple of minutes before it was warm enough to fire up.
2) Massive storage capacity (Ah) is needed with modern day car accessories to save the driver from leaving things turned on without the engine running (and having the battery die), but that's where the RE-START technology comes in on the lithiums. Battery shuts off, push button on top of battery, start car. (Though you do need to invest in another $40 cigarette pack sized lithium to get at the battery in the coupe)
3) Also, Pb batteries will lose charge when sitting. Lithiums will not. I never had to put my motorcycle lithium on a charger or trickle charger over the winter and it never failed me when I would fire up the bike in the springtime. In motorcycle circles that borders on the miraculous.

Henceforth, I will only replace my vehicle batteries with lithium.

Last edited by Unhingd; 08-18-2018 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:31 PM

And another update. This past weekend was rough for me. We lost one of our dogs on Saturday morning so to keep myself busy I went to run errands so I could work on some of my costume stuff. After the last stop, on my way home, the fault popped up again. Of course it was late on Saturday and nobody that knew anything about my car was left so I just went home. This morning I went to leave for work and there was no light, but halfway in it came on so I went straight there. They pulled her back immediately with the light still on and it's the same code as before, but they found that the loss of voltage is to the ECM. Apparently now that they know that much, they don't have to disconnect things and reconnect and try to get the code again, but they will be tracing and pin testing wiring now that they have a starting point.

So now I'm trying yet another vehicle. I'm in an F-Pace. They didn't have any non-SUV vehicles to give me, but at least this is smaller and more comfortable for me, since I have a feeling I'll be in it for a while.

On a funny note, I was bringing a mask in that I worked on over the weekend (I've taken over an empty office here for costume storage until next weekend) so I'm standing in the middle of the dealership holding a unicorn head. A unicorn head with flowers and lace and long white hair. Yeah, picture that.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Sorry to hear you're still having issues. There is nothing (in my humble opinion) as frustrating as misdiagnosing a car problem, thinking that it's fixed only to have it happen over and over again. Hopefully, this time, the dealership will really find the realy problem and address it. (And no the Pantera is not back in my garage, yet. Transmission is still having issues. Update in the next day or so)

PBBarb (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 08:37 AM

It is incredibly frustrating, especially since so many of us have said since the beginning that it's probably a single wire or ground that's the issue. Originally I just hoped to have my girl back for my birthday, but now I just want her back by the end of the year. Since I know I'm far from high priority for them, I don't see them spending that much time every day looking for the bad wire so it's going to take forever.

Yeah, I've wondered about the Pantera, but didn't want to ask because I do understand how frustrating it is. I'm hoping for good news for us both SOON!

Oh, and I was wrong, I'm in an E-Pace, not an F-Pace. I don't really do large cars or SUVs so get that kind of thing mixed up. I figured it out when I went to pair my phone last night.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Pantera update! The transmission problem is fixed and car is back for buffing and paint correction for next two days. I will pick it up either Thursday afternoon or Friday morning. Should be a fun weekend!!!! Hope your car gets solved by then. End of the year?!!! You have more patience than I to be even thinking that way.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:28 AM

Well, I figure if I'm pessimistic, then I can be pleasantly surprised. Trust me, the patience won't last long. I've just got other things to concentrate on at the moment, so give me until after the holiday weekend and then we'll see. I keep reminding myself that I'd rather them take a bit more time than I'd prefer and get it done right, and sometimes that helps, but less so lately. Which also reminds me, I need to go update my spreadsheet. That Monday I'll be severely hungover and need sleep (we start drinking Wednesday evening and go straight through to Sunday night), so they may really get to see the not so nice side of me. Although I really think some of them were a bit scared of me with a unicorn head yesterday, so maybe they want to keep that crazy person out of their dealership. I did dream last night though that they called me next Friday to come get my car and I showed up in my costume (that afternoon is Wonder Woman/Amazons, so armor, cloak with fur, crown, etc.).

Old 08-21-2018, 10:35 AM

Oh and meant to add for you getting yours for the weekend!!!! I'm looking forward to pictures and video!

tberg (08-21-2018)

Quick Reply: Charging System Fault