F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light and vacuum sensor??

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 02:16 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Check engine light and vacuum sensor??

Hi all,
I just visited the dealer for a check engine light issue and the code indicates it's some sort evap emissions sensor issue. The work to replace will be quite extensive as the only way to reach it is to remove the seats and the back panel. In addition, as I was starting the car to go to the dealer, I also saw a puff of white smoke ever so slightly rise from the vents on the hood. Would this be related to the vapor sensor issue? Just wanted to get the members' take on the situation and whether I can continue to drive the car for the next week until I drop it off at the dealer (they need to order the part). Thanks as always!

Last edited by fstik; 03-10-2020 at 03:01 AM.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

Evaporative CELs (Small or Large Leak Detected) are not usually causes for not driving a car.

While its probably not related, that engine compartment 'puff' deserves investigation...might just be condensation from wintertime driving...but it could the the beginning of a coolant leak.

Open the bonnet (hood) on a cold engine, lift off the engine cover (it just snaps off, directly UP) ... look around & sniff.

The following users liked this post:
fstik (03-10-2020)
Old 03-10-2020, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Evaporative CELs (Small or Large Leak Detected) are not usually causes for not driving a car.

While its probably not related, that engine compartment 'puff' deserves investigation...might just be condensation from wintertime driving...but it could the the beginning of a coolant leak.

Open the bonnet (hood) on a cold engine, lift off the engine cover (it just snaps off, directly UP) ... look around & sniff.
Any advice as to specific locations I should focus on after I take off the engine cover??

Old 03-10-2020, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by fstik
Any advice as to specific locations I should focus on after I take off the engine cover??
"Look Around & Sniff" says it all...

If it is coolant you will need to isolate (or tell the dealer). But usually, coolant leaks can be smelled (in the interior) as you drive.

Hey, If you can't tell where the white smoke was coming from, and it goes away (or doesn't appear), it was probably condensation, and you are just expecting the worst. I get that way too, every time I fix something on my cars...I'm always afraid that I forgot to tighten something (or left a tool under the bonnet, LOL) I can hear every little noise and smell 'new' odors!

fstik (03-10-2020)
Old 03-17-2020, 06:10 AM

If it was up to you guys, would you have the evap emissions sensor replaced? If it's OK to drive, I'm a little hesitant to have it replaced when the work involves removing the seats and the back interior panel. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Old 03-22-2020, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member

If a CEL code results in failing an emissions inspection, it is definitively worth it to investigate the issue.

But in my experience, replacing the sensor that points to the CEL is worthless. The sensor (whatever it is) is just doing it's job.

Rather than speculate, can you tell us exactly what the CEL/OBDII code is?

fstik (03-22-2020)
Old 03-22-2020, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
If a CEL code results in failing an emissions inspection, it is definitively worth it to investigate the issue.

But in my experience, replacing the sensor that points to the CEL is worthless. The sensor (whatever it is) is just doing it's job.

Rather than speculate, can you tell us exactly what the CEL/OBDII code is?
Hey Carbuff2, I was told the code was P2404.

My car actually got serviced last week, and yes, the repair was substantial compared to the replacement part in that they removed the seats and the back passenger panel. When they screwed the whole thing back, they actually did a good job as they got rid of some of the existing rattles emanating from behind the passenger seat. All in all, pretty happy to have my car back.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member

Glad you were happy with the outcome. That code indicates a leak (fuel system vapor evaporative system pump weak or bad) but it COULD just have been a loose or cracked evap hose...

fstik (03-22-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 04:02 AM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by fstik
If it was up to you guys, would you have the evap emissions sensor replaced? If it's OK to drive, I'm a little hesitant to have it replaced when the work involves removing the seats and the back interior panel. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
The evap canistor is supposed to absorb fuel vapor to keep it from escaping into the atmosphere. Its not a safety or efficiency issue, it's overhead purely to meet environmental regulations. Overfilling your fuel tank and running gasoline into the evap canistor is the reason most canistors fail. Think of it like those moisture absorbant baggies that come inside pill bottles.

The only problem is most emissions inspections require no CEL. So the only actual issue, other than a nuisance light, is the car will fail inspection for the presence of the code itself. The sensor could probably be wired closed if its easy to access.

Last edited by RacerX; 03-23-2020 at 04:11 AM.
fstik (03-23-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 05:54 AM

Thanks for your insight! I had the issue taken care of last week by the dealer.