Old 02-13-2014, 10:11 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
V10s always sound awful!
The LFA would disagree with that.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

The LFA is so ugly, who cares what it sounds like?

Old 02-14-2014, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
The LFA is so ugly, who cares what it sounds like?
Have you seen or heard one in person? I haven't but, but those who have seem to think it's very impressive. Here's a few that can be snatched up right away, but I'm waiting for prices to drop a bit before I pull the trigger
Lexus LFA For Sale - duPont REGISTRY

Old 02-14-2014, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

I have seen them, in person. Besides seeing one or two on the street (after all, this is Los Angeles/Beverly Hills), and at the Lexus dealership in Beverly Hills, I was able to look at one closely at the L.A. Auto Show; it simply does nothing for me, don't like the shape, the look, the curly cue scoops behind the top of the doors, the grill...it's a design in excess of detail with no grace or sensuality. Others may have a different opinion, I just can't get into it. And by the way, as much as I have always loved the Supra lineage, I can't say I find the new prototype very attractive either.

I guess I'm just getting too fussy in my "old" age.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,872 Likes on 7,151 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
...it's a design in excess of detail with no grace or sensuality.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I guess I'm just getting too fussy in my "old" age.

Me too

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
tberg (02-18-2014)
Old 02-15-2014, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

A couple of days ago I had a chance to test drive back-to-back the base F-type with the V6 and non-electronic suspension and the Z51 Stingray with the magnetic dampers. Here are my thoughts;

Looks are always subjective and personal. For me the convertible Vette won the looks contest. It was a Laguna Blue with a tan, "Kalahari" 3LT interior and it was striking. I also found more room in the Vette cockpit vs. the F-type. I am 6' tall, a trim 190 lbs and do feel somewhat claustrophobic in the F cockpit.

Driving the cars was no contest. The base F-type rode very rough over the bad local street surfaces while it rode fine on the better freeway surfaces. The V6 had adequate amounts of power to entertain with its modest acceleration and its exhaust tone. But, nothing to excite the soul. I was disappointed with the base V6, how it sounded and how it had a slight vibration at idle.

The Vette rode far better over the same bad surfaces with its optional magnetic suspension set to the mildest mode. Its engine idle was a lot smoother than the V6 and the exhaust sounded simply better. When it came to acceleration and handling, the Z51 is on a different planet from the base F-type. So much better that I basically told the salesman that as soon as the Z51 is available (right now they are under restricted production) I would buy one. I refused to consider the car I was test driving as it was decked out with a Christmas tree of options, including fitted luggage and car cover. Plus, the dealer wanted $2K over MSRP, given the low availability of the Z51 trim. Forget it, and it was also a color I did not particularly want. Still, the fully decked out Z51 came to $74K while the base F-type was $81K.

My wife liked the looks of the F-type slightly better. Her first reaction to seeing the Italian Racing Red F-type as we walked up to it was: "Wow, this is gorgeous".

Her first reaction to seeing the white Stingray with dual racing stripes and the Z-51 option was: "Wow, this looks MEAN!"

So, in conclusion, if and when the Z51 becomes widely available I will likely get it in a mid-trim with the magnetic ride option, for sure. It is an incredible performance bargain. You can get the 1LT Z51 with the magnetic ride for way under $60K. For the mid trim 2LT which include a superbly working HUD (heads up display) it will be closer to $63K.

Albert

DGL (02-15-2014)
Old 02-15-2014, 11:18 AM
cjp
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Albert,
No argument that the Corvette is a performance bargain. Did you check underneath it for any sinkholes?

Kidding aside, it is a minor miracle that no-one was hurt at the Museum. I drive by there regularly and have never yet made it inside. Guess I missed my chance until they fix it all up.

I suspect, in 40 years, that both cars will be pretty collectible.

Cheers,

Chris

Old 02-15-2014, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Albert,

Interesting. Was the C7 the 7 spd man or 6 spd auto? Wouldn't the V8S power, features and sound not be the more comparable model to "excite the soul"? The V6 F would have been vastly underpowered/underwhelming in comparison.

While C7 interior space and ride quality was a better fit for you, and the meaner look more appealing to you, where do you see the F's strengths for a broad cross-section of buyers?

Bruce

Old 02-16-2014, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
Albert,

Interesting. Was the C7 the 7 spd man or 6 spd auto? Wouldn't the V8S power, features and sound not be the more comparable model to "excite the soul"? The V6 F would have been vastly underpowered/underwhelming in comparison.

While C7 interior space and ride quality was a better fit for you, and the meaner look more appealing to you, where do you see the F's strengths for a broad cross-section of buyers?

Bruce
Bruce

It was the 7spd manual. That is the only way I would have the C7 right now. The 6sp Auto is outdated and the new, faster 8sp will not be available probably for an other year.

I did test drive the V8S F-type early when it came out and I liked both its ride and power. Did not care for the sounds it made when the switch was flipped. I think it was best described by a British journalist as, "Hooligan".

I test drove the base model for two reasons:

1) I wanted to see how the suspension worked without the adaptive dampers. I am not impressed at all, neither am I surprised. Electronically controlled dampers should be standard, and a must, with todays low profile tires. It should be standard, for sure, on a car in this price range.

2) I wanted to see how the V6 behaves in this car, since I started to lean towards the V6 in theory for my future potential purchase. Again, I was disappointed mainly with the coarseness of this V6 that does not match, IMO, the Jaguar image of silky smoothness.

An other pet peeve: Jaguar wants me to pay $2400 for a garage door opener. The opener is only available with a premium option, which is infuriating. I did not care much for that option but, I would definitely want a garage door opener built into the car. Everything I have driven for the last two decades had it standard. Why can't an $80K Jag make it standard? Jaguar makes the base F-type feel as a cheap, stripped version, which is, IMO, a mistake.

Yes, I found the base model "underwhelming". As to the V8, it is a LOT better but, the shape, particularly the front end, has thus far failed to evoke a "wow" factor in me. I am still waiting for the Coupe to remedy that, although when I mentioned to the sales guy that I felt a bit claustrophobic, given the tight surrounds in the F cockpit, he reminded me that it would not change in the Coupe. Not sure, as I think that the vert soft-top's lack of quarter side windows and solid bulkhead right behind the seat contributed to the closed-in sensation. In my comparison to the Vette I failed to disclose that I had sat in the convertible Vette only with the top down. Not sure if the top-up would cause the same closed-in sensation as I found in the F-type. Not really an issue for me as I definitely would buy a coupe from either model.

To answer your question on appeal; hmmm... I find it difficult to filter out what may appeal to a broad section of the potential buyers. That is what market research is for. But, I'll give it a shot: what would appeal to me, first, second and third; that it is a Jaguar; that it has engine choices, mine definitely now the V8. Also that, at least the adaptive damper option, it has a very good ride.

What does not appeal to me is; the genetic looking side profile of the vert and the front end. I wish that Jaguar would have kept the oval intake and make the front end lower and slimmer, more distinctive, more sports-car-like. Not sure if the Coupe version will change the visuals enough for it to "pop" for me. On the other hand, my wife thinks it is "gorgeous" so, the appeal is there for others.

Right after I got done test driving the F-type, I moved over and sat in the familiar, roomier and more luxurious confines of an XKR and, no doubt, I liked it better. Too bad it is an outgoing model.

Albert

Bruce H. (02-16-2014)
Old 02-16-2014, 10:58 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Curious why you didn't check out the V6S with the active dampers and a less hooliganny sound, and a tad more power than the base V6.

There's a huge difference between top up and top down. I don't find it nearly as much fun with the top up, and I seldom drive it that way.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
Curious why you didn't check out the V6S with the active dampers and a less hooliganny sound, and a tad more power than the base V6.

There's a huge difference between top up and top down. I don't find it nearly as much fun with the top up, and I seldom drive it that way.
I may still check the V6S. After all, that was truly what I imagined my choice would be in the F-type. I already knew that the adaptive dampers worked well on the V8 and thus, likely work as well on the V6. What I wanted was to try the base, non-adaptive setup.

I never owned a vert and the time when I test-drove the V8S with the top down it bothered me that the winds almost blew my head off and conversation with the nice sales gal was nearly impossible, given the wind noise at freeway speeds of 70MPH+. Most of my driving these days is on freeways so, that would be a negating factor. Seems like MOST verts I see on the roads are always being driven with the top UP, suggesting a narrow window of preference for top-down driving for many people. The closest I came to a vert when I had a targa-top Lamborghini and I barely took the top off because it was either cold, noisy or hot, with the CA sun baking by brain.

Albert

Old 02-17-2014, 08:20 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

With top down, windows up and having the wind deflector, I can have a normal conversation at 70MPH. Have to yell a bit to use the hands-free phone. Hat easily stays on.

Windows down is a different story.

pembroke (02-17-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 10:58 AM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
With top down, windows up and having the wind deflector, I can have a normal conversation at 70MPH. Have to yell a bit to use the hands-free phone. Hat easily stays on.

Agree. With the deflector in place the cabin is fine with the top down at freeway speeds.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS

They still make Salsa Red? I love Salsa Red! Great color choice!