F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chin spoiler fitment issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 09:24 AM
Received 61 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Chin spoiler fitment issue

So I noticed that my lower center spoiler (the scrape guard part) has a gap in one section of it where it mates to the gloss black chin spoiler...

I pulled a bunch of the torx bolts out and loosened the main skirt under the bumper to try to re-align things and noticed that it looks like that lower scrape guard skirt has some kind of prong that sticks up, then has a 90-degree bend toward the front of the vehicle. I messed with it for a while trying to get it to seat better, but it's hung up on something and I can't get the gap to go away. Anyone know how that prong is supposed to seat and if there's an easy way to fix this without dropping the entire chin spoiler and cover under the bumper to get at it?

Old 07-31-2020, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

I don’t believe there are any shortcuts to doing it right.

Old 07-31-2020, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I don’t believe there are any shortcuts to doing it right.
That's what I was afraid of. It looks like it slots into some kind of bracket on back side of the gloss black chin spoiler, do you know if that's the case? The fiche doesn't show it in enough detail to really be able to tell.

Old 07-31-2020, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by lpf4
That's what I was afraid of. It looks like it slots into some kind of bracket on back side of the gloss black chin spoiler, do you know if that's the case? The fiche doesn't show it in enough detail to really be able to tell.
Here are some pics from when I had it on my lift for other work. Maybe will help you see what it is suppose to look like?

DC

Old 07-31-2020, 11:34 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Highly suggest taking the undertray off and try to redo it. Don't bother taking it to the dealer as they probably don't know how to do it right and it takes multiple weeks to do stuff like that with no obvious reason.

Old 07-31-2020, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin
Highly suggest taking the undertray off and try to redo it. Don't bother taking it to the dealer as they probably don't know how to do it right and it takes multiple weeks to do stuff like that with no obvious reason.
+1.
Very easy DIY fix, just unbolt the under tray then refit it with the prongs / hooks all going into their respective slots in the under side of the chin spoiler, problem solvered!
When I say "easy fix" I mean simple fix with no complications, special tools or skills required, but it will be tedious due to the plethora of bolts you need to remove then replace!

Last edited by OzXFR; 08-01-2020 at 12:07 AM.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts

If you DO unscrew the 'lips' yourself so that you can re-attach the hooks, take note of the position of the screws. Some are longer than others...put 'em back in the same order they came out.

Old 08-02-2020, 03:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

You can always go to a body shop or a highend detail shop.

Old 08-02-2020, 07:35 AM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

At the minimum you will want to get the car up on ramps or jack stands. Once working clearance is obtained it is easy. I just found the same issue yesterday when removing my front end.

Old 08-02-2020, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Therock88
Here are some pics from when I had it on my lift for other work. Maybe will help you see what it is suppose to look like?

DC
Thanks DC...please tell me yours was more or less new when you took those pictures? Makes me feel like I should replace my under trays. lol

Originally Posted by Benjamin
Yeah, for sure I'd do it myself, but my garage isn't climate controlled and this summer in Florida has been pretty brutal...I'll do it at some point, for sure. Maybe once it cools down a bit. lol One of my wing spoilers isn't as tight of a fit as the other, and one of the clip nut things for it that the fasteners screw into is stripped, so I'll likely pull the whole underside and spoilers off and replace some bits and re-attach it.

Originally Posted by OzXFR
+1.
Very easy DIY fix, just unbolt the under tray then refit it with the prongs / hooks all going into their respective slots in the under side of the chin spoiler, problem solvered!
When I say "easy fix" I mean simple fix with no complications, special tools or skills required, but it will be tedious due to the plethora of bolts you need to remove then replace!
Yeah, I fully expect it to take a while. I pulled maybe 8-10 fasteners out to try to realign things and it barely loosened at all, there were so many still in there. lol

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
If you DO unscrew the 'lips' yourself so that you can re-attach the hooks, take note of the position of the screws. Some are longer than others...put 'em back in the same order they came out.
Noted, I noticed two different types of fastener heads, but it's good to know there's different lengths also.
Originally Posted by bjg625
You can always go to a body shop or a highend detail shop.
Not for something like this. I've worked on all my vehicles once they were out of warranty, so I'm not really afraid to do it, I just didn't want to have to undo 50 fasteners and deal with realigning dozens of interconnecting slots and tabs if there was an easy way to just pop the one tab into place. lol
Originally Posted by madmax1911
At the minimum you will want to get the car up on ramps or jack stands. Once working clearance is obtained it is easy. I just found the same issue yesterday when removing my front end.
I've been wanting to get a set of ramps. I have a low profile jack and stands, but hate using them. I had a car slip off a stand almost on me when I was in college right as I was on my back pushing to slide myself under it. It's been a hard thing to shake, even as long ago as that was. lol Either way, my garage slab has like a 2"+ lip from the driveway, so if I pull the car up to that lip I have plenty of clearance to see under it and get a wrench in there...might even be able to get my impact driver in there, not sure...it'd be close.

Last edited by lpf4; 08-02-2020 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Therock88 View Post

DC
Thanks DC...please tell me yours was more or less new when you took those pictures? Makes me feel like I should replace my under trays. lol

Well...I could tell you that if you like. But it was about 2 months ago Good news is, if you ever want to replace them...3 pieces, easy to get, and pretty cheap!
You can also wrap them....I just did it for fun on mine in gloss black...Looks pretty cool, and if it gets scratched up, I can peel and re-wrap!

Good luck with your fix....

DC

The following users liked this post:
lpf4 (08-04-2020)