Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choices, choices, choices

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts
Default Choices, choices, choices

Hello everyone. Yes. I'm brand new here. Been lurking for a bit and have been quite envious of the luxury and sports cars all you members have.

to keep my story short, my wife recently passed away from a tragic car accident. She was only 35. I was devastated by her loss, and spent a bunch of time at home, on the sofa, depressed and out of it, until I went and had myself a heart attack.

The cardiologist told me the heart attack was stress related and that I needed to take care of myself, relieve stress, and learn to enjoy life again.

So, thanks to life insurance, I now find myself officially having my mid life crisis, with extra money on hand to relax and try to enjoy life again. I've always enjoyed a great sports car, but never had the opportunity to own a real high class, luxury sports vehicle.

I'm just about to pull the trigger on ordering a 2016 F-Type R. (I want the AWD even though I live in the Dallas area. It will be my daily driver and the few days we get bad weather I am sure it will come in handy. In addition, I am under the impression that the AWD will still FEEL like a true RWD sports car until there is need for extra traction.)

Before I order the Jag, I wanted to shop all the competition. I test drove a Mercedes C63 AMG, BMW M3 and M5, Porsche 911 Carrera, Dodge Viper, and a Lexus RC-F. I thoroughly enjoyed the F-Type better than any of the other cars I test drove. Just to be thorough, I even went to check out a new Corvette. (The Corvette dealer wouldn't allow a test drive... WTF...)

Just as I thought I was about to pull the trigger on the Jag, I came across a 2012 McLaren MP4-12C with less than 5000 miles, and includes a 2 year Unlimited mile warranty. This also has the 2013 software update to put it up to 621 hp... Now I am torn. The McLaren is at the very top of what I'd want to spend, but I think its even higher on the exotic supercar list than the F-Type.

Someone help me decide... New Jag, or lightly used McLaren. I really am torn!

Oh, I also have a 17 year old son about graduate high school next year. He told me that if I stepped up to a Ferrari, he'd go to community college instead of UT or A&M... LOL

Old 02-17-2015, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by TXJagR
Welcome TXJagR. Sorry to hear what you went through.. I don't know that I could make it through anything similar myself.

When I was looking at the F-Type, I also considered something used that was once more expensive. At the end of the day I decided on the Jaguar for the main reason that a car once worth a lot of money, is still going to cost that much to maintain it. A $200k car may cost less used, but the maintenance is still what a $200k car costs. I decided it was a better financial decision to get something that was within my means new (which meant I could also afford to maintain it over time).

Good luck with whatever you decide. A McLaren is definitely a phenomenal car but I don't think you would be disappointed with any of the vehicles you have mentioned in this thread.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member

Mahjik,

Thank you for your thoughts. It's be a difficult time. I will NEVER forget my wife, and it's still very much a healing process. I figure a luxury sport exotic car would be the cure for my sitting at home sad and depressed.

Anyway, the only way I would consider the McLaren is with the warranty. I understand it's expensive to maintain, but really, with a warranty, I'll have the same considerations as the Jag, fuel, tires, brakes, and a once a year service.

The only benefit I see with the McLare is that someone else already took the initial huge hit on the depreciation, as I would do if I went the with the Jag. I don't think the JAg would depreciate quite as much, quite as fast though.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:33 PM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Really sorry to here you story and glad something positive can come from it.

I would say the McLaren is a no-brainer. The car sits in a whole class (or two) above anything Jaguar can offer you. The F-Type delivers a great experience, but the McLaren is even more special; from the moment you open door, to the elegance of the dashboard, the carbon chassis and an even more intoxicating engine sound. The build quality is also meticulous - it has the Ron effect.

Then, McLaren will treat you as an individual customer on a 1:1 level, whereas Jaguar won't treat you any different than if you'd purchased an XE or XF. Now this comes with a price of course, but you are part of a club with them.

I hope you get many hours of pleasure from your decision. You deserve it.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member

Anyway, the only way I would consider the McLaren is with the warranty. I understand it's expensive to maintain, but really, with a warranty, I'll have the same considerations as the Jag, fuel, tires, brakes, and a once a year service.

The only benefit I see with the McLare is that someone else already took the initial huge hit on the depreciation, as I would do if I went the with the Jag. I don't think the JAg would depreciate quite as much, quite as fast though.
Warranties aren't the savior most people think. The manufacturer or warranty company has to agree the failure/problem is warrantable and is not due to normal wear or mistreatment of the vehicle. I've been through warranty claims with other vehicles and it's not always cut and dry so I wouldn't wager on a warranty covering everything. I would also consider service, i.e. do you have someone local who can service the McLaren..

I think as far as depreciation, the McLaren has likely already taken it's biggest hit so it will likely have slower depreciation going forward. As far the Jaguar not taking the depreciation hit as much, I would wager if you used percentages they would likely be fairly close after 2 years of use (it just looks like more since the entry price of the McLaren is much higher).

BTW, you might throw in the Audi R8 into your list since you mentioned AWD.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Sorry to hear about your wife. Daily driving rules out the McLaren. Have you considered a used Ferrari California? The newer ones have the warranty by Ferrari and modern Ferraris are not as nightmare to maintenance/operate. It's relatively low key enough that you could use it as a daily driver, whereas the MP4 or 458 is too flashy to be used a daily, IMO.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Lost my wife... same way many years ago.. anyway, all I can say is time heals.
I agree with the previous poster that the McLaren does not seem appropriate as a daily driver, which would leave the F type in my opinion.
Lawrence.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:05 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm sorry for your loss but glad to hear you are taking steps to live again. My sense is that if McLaren is in your budget and maintenance costs check out, then go for that. It's a very special car and it is also quite drivable on a daily basis (or so I learned from Jeremy Clarkson's review of it). Sounds like you are youngish so getting in and out won't be a problem. I'm 38 but personally I hate getting in and out of the McLaren because of the high sills of the carbon tub. I would probably look at a used 991 Turbo S if I choose to spend that kind of money.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the thoughts guys. Keep em coming. You've all got me thinking.

Stealthpilot, I'm 43. 6'2". Getting into the McLaren wasn't THAT bad, and I actually fit very comfortably inside. I can see myself whacking my head if I don't pay attention while getting in though.

Mahjik, I live if the Dallas suburbs, there is a McLaren dealer in town. No problem getting work done. (of course it would be at the dealer, but with this type of car, I wouldn't think of taking it to the local Qwik Kar.)

As for a daily driver, around here people drive anything as a daily driver. I can honestly say it's a sad day when I don't see at least a Ferrari, Lambo, and Maserati driving to or from work. I'd feel more comfortable in the F-Type (with the AWD) in the winter and rain though. I'm not sure I'd have the testicular fortitude to take a McLaren out in the cold rain in December or January.

And, to everyone... I just got finished watching a Top Gear episode with the McLaren and a Ferarri 458... The McLaren had the better performance, but the reviews stated it was pretty much a "boring" car...

Last edited by TXJagR; 02-17-2015 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

My condolences on the passing of your wife.

Tough choices indeed - if money weren't an object (for me) I would also be very interested in the new NSX; I've owned two in the past and they are/were vastly under-rated in almost every respect (and I drove mine year-round). That said, I've always been a fan of McLaren and if that is within reach, I'd be very tempted to take that route.

Last but hardly least, I bought a 2015 V6S back in October and couldn't be happier. For the money it has the looks (maybe one of the most gorgeous cars I've ever had the pleasure to see never mind own) and the sounds (intoxicating) to make anyone extremely happy and satisfied.

I wish you and your family good health and good fortune. Lots of luck and, of course, let us know what you decide.

Best regards,
Jay

Old 02-17-2015, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

TXJag, my deepest condolences for your loss.

Welcome to the forum. I believe most of us here will be very interested in your final decision.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:01 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

You should also make a trip to the Mercedes dealer and test drive the S63 Coupe and the find out when the GT is going to be delivered. I was very impressed with the GT track time on Top Gear last night. I doubt the R Coupe will beat that.

The S63 is different but it is a very desirable car. Especially for a city like Dallas where the roads are straight.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
TXJag, my deepest condolences for your loss.

Welcome to the forum. I believe most of us here will be very interested in your final decision.
X2...sorry for your loss but welcome and the best to you in your decision.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member

Mahjik, I live if the Dallas suburbs, there is a McLaren dealer in town. No problem getting work done. (of course it would be at the dealer, but with this type of car, I wouldn't think of taking it to the local Qwik Kar.)
Talk to the dealer about 12C maintenance (or visit the mclarenlife forums). I was looking at an older Ferrari until I read about their $8-10k services. I have no idea what the maintenance cycles or costs are for the McLaren, but that would be something I would recommend checking out.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Sorry how you got here. A low mileage Ferrari Calif. might be a good alternative. Closest thing to everyday driver Ferrari makes, and it's a Ferrari.Expect maintenance to be very hi, they are sold today with 7 year included service. McLaren is considered great everyday choice, see Jay Leno's Garage and Top Gear. F Type is most reasonable both in being new and price and maintenance. Not really exotic but fun to drive around town. The exotics are high revving beasts and need space to truly enjoy.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member

Well guys, after all your advice, and a lot of research on maintenance costs, insurance, and plain old drivability...

Tomorrow morning I am placing my order for a 2016 IRR (with black back) F-Type R.

The dealer already has one ordered and he is going to change that order to my specs. Still no word on definitive pricing, but I should have my Jag by May, hopefully sooner...

(and I picked up my son a new 2015 Subaru WRX)

The following 3 users liked this post by TXJagR:
ApolloBeachRetiree (02-20-2015), Mahjik (02-19-2015), Mulmur (02-19-2015)
Old 02-19-2015, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Congrats! Nice choice on color scheme.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Well guys, after all your advice, and a lot of research on maintenance costs, insurance, and plain old drivability...

Tomorrow morning I am placing my order for a 2016 IRR (with black back) F-Type R.

The dealer already has one ordered and he is going to change that order to my specs. Still no word on definitive pricing, but I should have my Jag by May, hopefully sooner...

(and I picked up my son a new 2015 Subaru WRX)
Excellent! And a great choice for your son! I had a Subaru WRX and it was fabulous, particularly in the wet and snow (it helped that I had dedicated winter wheels/tires).

Lots of luck and we are all rooting for you...both!

Best regards,
Jay

Old 02-19-2015, 11:00 PM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

I'd like to read your opinion of the test drive of the other cars. Drove most of them and ended up choosing the RS (XF). Curious how the Lexus drove compared to the others. Also surprised you didn't drive the CLS63.

Also you should come out to the next Cars and Coffee and meet up. Almost no Jags. Lots of McLarens, Porsches, Ferraris, Lambos however.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:32 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Great choice. I looked at IRR and Firesand and ended up with the Firesand R above.

Last edited by ApolloBeachRetiree; 02-20-2015 at 05:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mulmur (02-20-2015)

Quick Reply: Choices, choices, choices