F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choices, choices, choices

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 08:14 AM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I was just gonna say go with the f type, as for me i think the mclaren looks too much like a race car which i just don't like, no matter how much it costs. I'm so sorry for your loss, I can't even imagine....hang in there...there's no doubt the jag will have you grinning ear to ear every time you take it out!

Old 02-22-2015, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by allenman85
I'd like to read your opinion of the test drive of the other cars. Drove most of them and ended up choosing the RS (XF). Curious how the Lexus drove compared to the others. Also surprised you didn't drive the CLS63.

Also you should come out to the next Cars and Coffee and meet up. Almost no Jags. Lots of McLarens, Porsches, Ferraris, Lambos however.

Thanks again for all the positive comments guys. I'll try to answer the questions that were left for me in the thread. If I miss anything please feel free to PM me.

Ultimately, I was looking for a Sports car with a luxury feel. The Mercedes was more of a luxury car with a sports feel. Slight difference, but to me it made all the difference in the world. Also, I see a LOT of Mercedes (and BMW, and Porche) around here. Although I'd rellay prefer you guys not think of me as a snob, I wanted a car that I didn't see everywhere. I like to be different if not unique. At least for now, the Jag is much rarer than the Mercedes, BMWs, Lexus, Porsche, and Audi.

I REALLY considered the McLaren very very much. The final decision came down to the fact that the McLaren prices just aren't stable. They have dropped a TON recently, and I'm not sure they are done bottoming out yet. Also, the Top Gear review I watched showed the McLaren will beat a Ferrari 458 around a track, they said it was a pretty "boring to drive at normal speeds" car.

The Jag cost me less money, has a longer warranty, is still very rare around here at least, and If I relocate, there are far more Jaguar dealerships than there are McLaren.

Of the cars I test drove...

The Porsche handled the best, shifted the smoothest, and was overall a very nice car. It's just that again, around here, everyone has one, and unless you're a Porsche enthusiast, people don't know the difference between a Carrera, Carrera S, Carrera 4s, etc, etc, etc.

The Lexus RC-F is a pretty darn nice car. Compared to the "R" Coupe, it is underpowered. The transmission also seems to hesitate just a little when you shift. I just thought it didn't quite measure up to the Jag.

The C63-AMG had a ton of Power and Performance, but the interior just didn't make the grade for me. It seemed a little on the cheap side (and again, this is only a C-Class) Also, see my comment about a sports car with some luxury versus a luxury car with a sporty feel.

I also briefly considered an Audi RS5 or an R8, but the Audi dealership completely ignored me when I was there looking around, and I just felt like they didn't feel I was "worthy" really pissed me off. Also, the Corvette dealership wouldn't even let me test drive a new Stingray. (who do they think they are? It's a Chevy!)

Old 02-22-2015, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by TXJagR
I also briefly considered an Audi RS5 or an R8, but the Audi dealership completely ignored me when I was there looking around, and I just felt like they didn't feel I was "worthy" really pissed me off. (who do they think they are? It's a Chevy!)
Interesting. Just before Jag announced the MT for the F-Type, I was visiting dealerships in desperation for sporting luxury (with an MT). I encountered the same treatment at Audi as you had. Maybe the salesperson (youngster with no knowledge of his own product) judged that I was a waste of time because I drove up in my MINI wearing jeans and a denim shirt. (sorry, that's the way I dress when I'm not paid to look sharp). Anyway, never bothered to go to another Audi dealer.
On the other hand, Jag, BMW, Aston Martin and MB salespeople always gave me a warm welcome and at least tried to be helpful. No sales people seem to know their product or available options, however.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:40 PM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts
Thumbs up

TXJagR - Good to hear that you are 'up and running' again! Good work.

WRT to the cars, been through all the manufacturers as so many have, to arrive at the V8S. A true sports car IMO.

If you want to daily drive the thing, the F would be a better choice as it is slightly more practical and doesn't scream 'look at me'!

Mmmm, on second thoughts...If I had the budget though, sod it, I'd go for the Mac or failing that a Pagani!

As my kids keep saying - YOLO (You only live once!)

Old 02-22-2015, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel
As my kids keep saying - YOLO (You only live once!)
Anyway, it's their inheritance so...wtf.