F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CHP Officer: Who Gives a Jag a Ticket?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts
Default CHP Officer: Who Gives a Jag a Ticket?

Slow Sunday morning, thought I'd share a funny story. Couple of weeks ago I got a no front license plate ticket on Union Street in SF while grabbing brunch. First no plate ticket in about 10 months of ownership. Fine is $117.

So yesterday I put the front plate on using some zip ties after padding the back of the plate with some soft cabinet liner to avoid any scratches. Luckily a police station is pretty close to my house so it took just a few minutes to find a CHP officer. I asked the guy if he had a moment to sign a fix it ticket. He said sure and asked me what's the violation. I tell him, no front plate.

He looks at the car, then rhetorically asks, "who gives a Jag a no front plate ticket?"

I wanted to say, "that's what I'm saying!!! Stupid meter maids!!! I know you guys have better things to do than give no front plate tickets." But I kept quiet and just said thanks and I'll get a more permanent solution soon. Of course the first thing I did when I got home was cut the zip tie.

So it looks like I'm averaging about 1 no front plate every year for the past 3 years. That's not too bad. But I might try to find a easy to remove front plate holder for parking situations. With the front grill it should be easy to make some kind of hook that can easy be put on and removed for parking situations.

Anybody know of an easy on/off front plate mount? I'm not talking about a tow hook solution (that's not really easy on/off). I want something that'll take literally 5 seconds to put on/take off.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Hell,I'd figure out a velco system if it was me...luckily,the only no plate hassle I ever got was in Pacific Grove in the 80's...those cops truly have nothing to do.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Buy a couple of 90º brackets of the appropriate dimensions (similar to shelf supports) and some heavy-duty velcro at a hardware store. Mount on the underside of the bumper bar and license plate.

It's not a good solution for an in-motion mount, but since CA front plate tickets seem to usually happen in parking situations, it would work great for that. You just pull it off before you leave.

That's what McGiver would do.

EDIT: Was typing at the same time as Buick . . .

Last edited by Foosh; 05-31-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Smart cop! One who has his priorities straight.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:39 AM
Received 2,637 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Since enforcement of the front licence plate is selective, it appears to be an easy way to generate revenue. You should also have a front plate attached when entering any major airport such as SFO, OAK or LAX.

I have seen many drivers receive a ticket for a missing or obscured front licence plate from LAPD motorcycle officers at LAX while dropping off or picking up passengers.

As we all know, it is all about the money...

Old 05-31-2015, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 991 Likes on 742 Posts

In SF proper it's a more common citation. Red light violation cameras shoot the front to also get the driver, and with no front plate, they can't issue a ticket.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:01 PM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Anyone in Washington state know how bad the cops are over no front plates? I plan on driving to Canada often too and I don't know if they'd bother me at the border or in Canada over no plates. I really dont want to put a front plate on.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:59 PM
Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I was just driving back from my detail shop in SOMA (SF) and noticed a cop following me a few blocks (around AT&T Ballpark). I immediately switched into quiet exhaust mode only to have the SFPD pull next to me and get two thumbs up with the rest to rev it...

I read your thread while getting my car washed and thought I was gonna get a ticket too!!

Old 05-31-2015, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Here in Ontario, Canada, the provincial police are all over speeding and of course if a front plate is missing as they are on a quota system.

I doubt they would bother a U.S. citizen coming up here with no front plate as they probably are not up to speed on which state allows no plate. Not sure about the British Columbia cops, but my guess is they would be the same.
Lawrence.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crazy fix but works.

Mount steel strip under existing bolt behind grille. Run out between grille finns flush.Add a magnet to strap 1/2x1/2 magnet. Then when you stop just slap plate on while parked.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:04 PM
Ton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a Fix it ticket on my way to Willow Springs, right at 580 & 5 Hwy. I must say I do not have a front plate, or a back plate, I think the car looks so much better with a european plate

I was driving like that while the plates were being shipped, but not I am definitely pushing my luck since they just arrived.

-Antonio

Old 06-05-2015, 09:41 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by f_in_seattle
Anyone in Washington state know how bad the cops are over no front plates? I plan on driving to Canada often too and I don't know if they'd bother me at the border or in Canada over no plates. I really dont want to put a front plate on.
I got one while parked and one while driving in less than three months so I would say pretty bad. I went with a tow hook mount from gominigo.com to avoid drilling the crossbar in the grill. It's a well made stainless piece. The guy who makes them is in Kent.