Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning Car

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 07:52 AM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
They're pretty nice, but with my 19" Centrifuge wheels and the Super Performance brakes, I can't get even the smallest Wheel Woolie between the caliper and the barrel of the rim. I have to roll the car a little to get the spot shielded by the caliper. Not a fault of the WWs though. I like them.
Try a sponge paint brush of an appropriate size. I use those to clean behind the spokes, even between the calipers and wheels.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
Try a sponge paint brush of an appropriate size. I use those to clean behind the spokes, even between the calipers and wheels.
Do you have 380mm rotors and 19" wheels? The smallest of the Wheel Woolies isn't a whole lot thinner than the smallest sponge paint brush I've got. Maybe I just need to get some dowels to push cleaning cloths into the miniscule gap. Or roll the car. A lift would be super-sweet, but a bit out of the question :-(

Old 07-17-2018, 11:31 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I start by cleaning the 75% of inner rim I can get to on the front wheels, then move the car enough to reveal what was blocked by the calipers. Then I finish cleaning all the wheels. Not a big deal.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:33 PM
Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

For wheels, I'd recommend pulling them off the car every spring and fall, cleaning the **** out of them [including the barrels] -- then sealing them with a ceramic coating -- will help cut down on the dust accumulation and you should be able to spray them down with a little car soap and water pressure once a week or so and keep them spotless.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

If I ever pull the wheels, they get a thorough cleaning and a coating. I last used Pinnacle Black Label Diamond wheel coating. I don't go out of my way to do it though. It's a bit of a pain.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you jack up your F Type

Originally Posted by addict
For wheels, I'd recommend pulling them off the car every spring and fall, cleaning the **** out of them [including the barrels] -- then sealing them with a ceramic coating -- will help cut down on the dust accumulation and you should be able to spray them down with a little car soap and water pressure once a week or so and keep them spotless.
I have a 2016 Model S. I would like to throughly clean my wheels but have failed to get enough info on jack placement and stand placement.

Thanks

mike

Old 07-17-2018, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by mloconn1

I have a 2016 Model S. I would like to throughly clean my wheels but have failed to get enough info on jack placement and stand placement.

Thanks

mike

Check out this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...cation-127665/
You need to read it right through as the jacking points and axle stand points shown in the Workshop Manual are dead wrong (it shows the XF axle stand points not just once but twice!), and all the Owner's Manual says is "There are 4 jacking points on the underside of the floor. Two indented, triangular indicators are provided on each sill cover. These indicate the location for the jack."

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 05:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

I just use the rear jacking points to lift the entire side of the car. With the H&R springs, even a low profile jack will not reach the front jacking points.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I just use the rear jacking points to lift the entire side of the car. With the H&R springs, even a low profile jack will not reach the front jacking points.
That doesn't sound right Lance.
I know my car with the VAP springs instead of the H&R springs would sit 10 mm maybe 15 mm higher than yours at the front, but I can get my low profile trolley jacks under/onto the front jacking points with at least 20 mm to spare, and more like 40 mm, and they are not even fancy expensive "super low" trolley jacks.
And when I jack up the rear as high as the jack will go the front tyre is still down on the ground.
Also, my trolley jacks have smallish heads on them which allows them to fit under the jacking points with minimal overhang, the normal bigger heads on other jacks would be too wide.
Are you sure you are talking about the jacking points (which are about 60 mm in from the edge of the bottom sill) and not the axle stand points which are a little further inboard?
Or maybe your low profile jacks aren't all that low at all?

Old 07-18-2018, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
That doesn't sound right Lance.
I know my car with the VAP springs instead of the H&R springs would sit 10 mm maybe 15 mm higher than yours at the front, but I can get my low profile trolley jacks under/onto the front jacking points with at least 20 mm to spare, and more like 40 mm, and they are not even fancy expensive "super low" trolley jacks.
And when I jack up the rear as high as the jack will go the front tyre is still down on the ground.
Also, my trolley jacks have smallish heads on them which allows them to fit under the jacking points with minimal overhang, the normal bigger heads on other jacks would be too wide.
Are you sure you are talking about the jacking points (which are about 60 mm in from the edge of the bottom sill) and not the axle stand points which are a little further inboard?
Or maybe your low profile jacks aren't all that low at all?
I am indeed talking about the inboard stand points. The location of the points near the sill just don't overwhelm me with confidence. However, since I have no problem getting the front tire off the ground using the rear jack points, I don't need to test it. (plus it's less messing around with the jack when doing work on all the corners)

Old 07-22-2018, 08:39 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=AlamoJake;1929899]What do you guys use to clean/protect the interior. Do you use the same product on the seats v. dash v. doors. Any reviews on this product - Griot's Garage 11019 3-in-1 Leather Cleaner

Bought Griot's Garage 11019 3-in-1 Leather Cleaner - applied it to a small area. This stuff smells awful. No way would I be able to get in the car if used. Even many reviews on Amazon refer to the "smell". Any suggestions on an alternate product for leather.

Old 07-22-2018, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

[quote=AlamoJake;1933764]
Originally Posted by AlamoJake
What do you guys use to clean/protect the interior. Do you use the same product on the seats v. dash v. doors. Any reviews on this product - Griot's Garage 11019 3-in-1 Leather Cleaner

Bought Griot's Garage 11019 3-in-1 Leather Cleaner - applied it to a small area. This stuff smells awful. No way would I be able to get in the car if used. Even many reviews on Amazon refer to the "smell". Any suggestions on an alternate product for leather.
Easy:
Use a brand called Leather Masters.
Its the only product in the world actually formulated by leather experts and tested extensively in a laboratory.
Its made in Italy. By the very folks who make the coating on your leather.
Yes it has the proper leather aroma that preserves what you have and wont alter the signature (leather scent is one of their products but not available in usa)
Crucially, the Leather Council in UK figured out that abrasion is the only enemy of leather- sure enough where have you seen leather fail, on the bolsters on the driver side getting in and out.
So Leather Masters products give you the highest protection against abrasion, and the only product to even address it.

If you have light colored leather like me, the Ink Stop, which prevents dye transfer from jeans and has all the other benefits of above, makes it a game changer.
Amazon Amazon

Old 07-23-2018, 03:21 PM
AJF
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

I never go to Whole Foods, particularly because of the Prius sized parking spaces. The target audience for Whole Foods must be different in the UK than here in the States. Here it's for people who want to spend twice as much more on a banana than elsewhere for the bragging rights of having done so. At Walmart, there's hundreds of acres of parking spaces so you can avoid the beaters.
I buy my bananas there and I can now foretell the future and fly. It's usually best to not criticize something you haven't tried yourself.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:29 PM
AJF

I use the 2 bucket method etc but I use these mops instead of mitts, it really saves your back. I use 2 of them, 1 for the top 2/3 of the car, the other for the bottom
Amazon Amazon

Old 07-23-2018, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AJF
I buy my bananas there and I can now foretell the future and fly. It's usually best to not criticize something you haven't tried yourself.
Are you referring to Walmart or Whole Foods bananas? I've tried both, and both offer me the ability to fly and foretell the future. The bananas all come from the same tree.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:58 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

You’re getting better bananas than I am. I had a Whole Food burrito for lunch, and the only superpower it gave me was the ability to empty a room.

The following users liked this post:
AJF (07-25-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 07:24 PM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Place and unpeeled banana in the car for a day. Will get rid of all odors, even the burrito...lol

Old 07-25-2018, 06:43 AM
AJF

Are you referring to Walmart or Whole Foods bananas? I've tried both, and both offer me the ability to fly and foretell the future. The bananas all come from the same tree.
Whole Foods of course. They have Organic, Free Range, Consciously Farmed and Magicial Bananas. I foretold the fact that you would not choose the Magical banana.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:44 AM
AJF

Originally Posted by Magical

Place and unpeeled banana in the car for a day. Will get rid of all odors, even the burrito...lol
Ok so it changes your appearance a little. At least I can fly!

Old 07-25-2018, 07:51 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by AJF
I use the 2 bucket method etc but I use these mops instead of mitts, it really saves your back. I use 2 of them, 1 for the top 2/3 of the car, the other for the bottom
https://www.amazon.com/AutoSpa-93303...s=car+wash+mop
While a single mop is $12.73, you have the ability to purchase two for $99.99.

Quick Reply: Cleaning Car