F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch finally bit the dust

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 05:24 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Clutch finally bit the dust

2016 MT with 13K miles and 1 year of warranty left. It won’t shift into gear with engine running. I had to turn of engine, put it in 2nd and drive to the dealer(about 5 miles) all in 2nd gear. Then I had to show them how to put it in reverse in order to get it in a parking slot. They can’t check it til Wednesday. I don’t know how long to get the parts. Planning to drive to Mendocino on the 7th( if it hasn’t burned down) so I hope it is done by then. I’m probably the last one to get my clutch done of the MY16s.

Old 10-28-2019, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckingham
2016 MT with 13K miles and 1 year of warranty left. It won’t shift into gear with engine running. I had to turn of engine, put it in 2nd and drive to the dealer(about 5 miles) all in 2nd gear. Then I had to show them how to put it in reverse in order to get it in a parking slot. They can’t check it til Wednesday. I don’t know how long to get the parts. Planning to drive to Mendocino on the 7th( if it hasn’t burned down) so I hope it is done by then. I’m probably the last one to get my clutch done of the MY16s.
Those parts are in such high demand that it shouldn’t take much time at all to get those parts in. Remind them that they need to order the bolts as well.

Old 10-29-2019, 09:14 AM
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Sorry about that, but at least you were able to get it to the dealership relatively easily rather than being out of town 800 miles away from home like some others have reported. Do give us a report on how the new clutch feels and works for you over time. I'm interested in hearing how the 4th generation clutch is treating people. It's inevitable that I will be in the same spot sometime in the future, but for now my 2016 S has 32K miles and the original clutch is working fine (probably 2nd generation). I would like to know before the time comes, if the 4th generation clutch is solid and worth installing or if other options should be considered.

Old 10-29-2019, 08:03 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Now it works

Got a call from the dealer this afternoon. They could not find a problem. Drove there and test drive with mechanic. It drove fine.
Their driver verified that it would go into reverse when I dropped it off. I took it home and will drive it and see if it happens again. I’m thinking a hydraulic valve sticking and not letting clutch fully seat. We shall see but no new clutch yet.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Got a call from the dealer this afternoon. They could not find a problem. Drove there and test drive with mechanic. It drove fine.
Their driver verified that it would go into reverse when I dropped it off. I took it home and will drive it and see if it happens again. I’m thinking a hydraulic valve sticking and not letting clutch fully seat. We shall see but no new clutch yet.
That was symptom #3 for me. Something has come apart and a piece is floating around that will make this recur. I'm not sure if it's from the clutch or the dual-mass flywheel, but I had the same thing happen. When I dropped it off it was showing the symptom, but the next morning when the tech tried, it was working fine.

Good luck.

Old 10-30-2019, 03:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
That was symptom #3 for me. Something has come apart and a piece is floating around that will make this recur. I'm not sure if it's from the clutch or the dual-mass flywheel, but I had the same thing happen. When I dropped it off it was showing the symptom, but the next morning when the tech tried, it was working fine.

Good luck.
+1. The OP will be back in the shop soon.