F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How does your clutch work on maximum acceleration during a 1st to 2nd gear upshift.
Works well with positive engagement.
33.33%
Not the best, but it's ok.
38.60%
Slips horribly or won't hook up at all.
28.07%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Clutch Satisfaction

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I was super lucky with my dealership - both my salesman (who drives 14 F-type) and Service Manager are racers. They had no questions whatsoever when I told them I expected proper clutch. When I showed them Unhingd invoice they simply ordered parts and scheduled the service.

Consequently, the likelihood of my getting another Jag from that dealer substantially increased.

Last edited by SinF; 05-07-2016 at 08:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Atomic (05-07-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 10:23 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

..and your dealer is?
Larry

Old 05-09-2016, 08:14 AM
Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

The car was at Plano Jag on Friday, and they could not get the clutch to slip, even when they turned my car over to Paul Light, who uses an F-Type as a daily driver, and certainly is no stranger to a manual gearbox.

I picked the car up late Friday, and I could not get it to slip either, and I pushed it pretty hard. So for now I am going to continue enjoying this great car until it becomes a constant problem, or it breaks.

They did implement the fuel filler fix, for which I am quite grateful.

Orkney

Old 05-09-2016, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Orkney
The car was at Plano Jag on Friday, and they could not get the clutch to slip, even when they turned my car over to Paul Light, who uses an F-Type as a daily driver, and certainly is no stranger to a manual gearbox.

I picked the car up late Friday, and I could not get it to slip either, and I pushed it pretty hard. So for now I am going to continue enjoying this great car until it becomes a constant problem, or it breaks.

They did implement the fuel filler fix, for which I am quite grateful.

Orkney
That be very odd!

It just occurred to me that your thunking appeared about the same time the clutch started to work.May be related if something is about ready to let loose and is putting more pressure on the plate. Just musing..no certainty.

Last edited by Unhingd; 05-09-2016 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:27 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Update: problem exists at least through Vin number 28011.
I have # 28251 and haven't had any problems.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by dcompain
I have # 28251 and haven't had any problems.
#28744 and I am going in tomorrow. Mine is a base model. It could be I really suck at the sticky sedan like manual transmission when I am trying to get onto the freeway, but it's slipped off a cliff too many times to really believe that. I've seen 8000+ and a big grimace in the rear view.

I'll feel like an *** if they don't think anything is wrong, so I am definitely calling customer service right now. At least I have a broken fan or something in the center console duct that sounds like ball bearings hitting the side of a thin ship's hull. I can't describe it.... "ting/ting ting TING TING ting ting ting"

egads.

Anyhoo.... we'll see on mine. My build was May/15 I think. Could be June. It's earlier in this thread.....

[edit] 10 minutes into a customer service call they have literally no idea what I am talking about. She's tromping through and taking info, and I got a case number.

I mean... it's not a recall. She was very, VERY nice and pleasant.

But I wonder if they get the difference between shifting a sedan and sport shifting? If they are thinking "it shifts", they're not going to understand. If they're willing to take it fast onto a freeway, maybe, but even then... you have to be sport shifting this car to encounter the problem. With dealers selling so few, and so few mechanics likely willing to push a customer's car (I am fooling myself here lol??)... I wonder if this could be perceived as a problem they dig into, don't understand, and labor is on me??

I guess you cross that bridge when you get there.....

Last edited by Uncle Fishbits; 05-11-2016 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

Some suggestions:

1. Ask if any mechanics in the shop race, and deal exclusively with that one. They tend to understand what sports car should shift like and how to test for clutch slipping.

2. Promise to Service Manager that you will give 10 star reviews on the survey if they fix this to your satisfaction.

3. Print out and bring Unhingd invoice. Patiently explain that this problem could _ONLY_ be fixed with these part numbers. Tell them that JLR always agrees to this fix as they are aware of this issue. Tell them that there will be hot spots as it slips like *&*& all the time.

Best of luck!

Old 05-12-2016, 04:20 PM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Just heard from my dealer earlier today - they anticipate having my car ready to go tomorrow. So, barring any screw-ups, I should be able to report back to all of you on the expected improvements...

Old 05-12-2016, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
Some suggestions:...Best of luck!
Had the invoice, two printed comments, and URL of the thread, incidentally. Also had a customer service "claim ticket" registered. Both the dealer and customer service were befuddled but very kind. The dealer was very polite, but measured, at drop off. Zero push back, but "there are steps and processes to figure this out"

Test drove, and awesome mechanic is like "oh man that is delayed and slipping", so that was nice.

It has something to do with the heralded internal Jag engineering people the dealer internally communicates with.

I called for info just now. I won't have my car for days as Jag wants pics, documentation, confirmation of proper parts, etc.

So dealer mechanic says, "your transmission has been taken out, and it sounds like Jag is covering it all under warranty, but none of us actually know what parts are going to be covered".

So it will be a few days, but even he said I am going to love it even more. So as long as they are polite during the learning curve, it should work out. I am sure dealers get insane, entitled people making weird " pre-recall" claims and arm chair engineering, etc.

So hopefully it will work out. My first weekend without my car since August... Will be dark. Cry into my pillow lonely. Lol

Old 05-12-2016, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
My first weekend without my car since August... Will be dark. Cry into my pillow lonely. Lol
It's well worth the wait! Like night and day.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member

It's well worth the wait! Like night and day.
Well, I hope the reality isn't bad for others, but I just had a REALLY FREAKING EXCITED mechanic call me. This is only to banter on, and give too much apocraphyal information that is mildly helpful at best, as anecdote. LOL

They called to confirm:

transmission is out, clutch is BURN BURN BURNTttttttt.

The part # Unhingd relayed is sort of at question.... Mechanic said the flywheel part was the same, but the clutch part was different, and they literally pulled unhinged's part # *OUT* of my car, and that's only because there is an even newer version of the part that doesn't exist or is stocked in the US.... ie our dealer has the UK shipping a brand new part, and it will get here Wednesday.

The mechanic said it was sort of cool and exciting because how Jag was immediately "we know, it's warranty of COURSE, and here ya go".

Apparently, this manual has had a number of updates... my suspicion is as follows, but it's iffy because I can't even remember if I am May or June, but it does look like my Vin is later than many.

1) Feb 2015 reviews mention problems with the clutch performance.

2) Round 2 of reviews (june?) suggest that those problems had been dealth with.

3) 1st gen cars shipped with the wrong parts due to fabrication delays (unhingd)

4) 2nd gen (mine) shipped with the parts unhingd got.

5) *NOW*, there is an update to even my parts, and it's only in the UK, currently. Frankly, for Jag Worldwide to ship parts from the UK to my SF Bay dealer in 2-ish business days feels like a bit of a big deal.

So the mechanic said they won't replace it with the parts Unhingd suggested, because the newer part is the "latest and greatest" and will be here in a few days.

But I suspect people with early manual transmission that don't notice this are simply not sport shifting when they get onto a freeway?? I mean, if they are that blatant about handling it under warranty with warm fuzzies, etc.... I imagine this is informal recall or "don't you dare trouble these darling people who love driving real cars" LOL

Thanks Lance, for always asking questions. You are making many people's lives better. I just hope to have a specific invoice to post and update within the week.

The following 3 users liked this post by Uncle Fishbits:
Mitochon (05-14-2016), SinF (05-14-2016), slipstream (07-16-2020)
Old 05-13-2016, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

This whole manual thing just gets curiouser and curiouser, and I suspect it's not over yet.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
This whole manual thing just gets curiouser and curiouser, and I suspect it's not over yet.
Not that curious. What appears on my invoice appears to be a billing error as it is indeed the old part number. (Thanks to Atomic for pointing that out to me)
The parts pick list that was provided to me shows T2R21165 for the clutch. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...7/#post1444909

Last edited by Unhingd; 05-13-2016 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

I had the same experience, the invoice stated old part # for clutch but they assured me that they ordered new part and it was simply not in the system yet so they couldn't put it on invoice any other way.

Once my dealer gets 2017 MT I will make sure to drive it. There is no mistaking two setups - if your clutch is heavy with very early catch point, then you have updated parts....

What is unknown is what happens if you get only some updated parts (e.g. new flywheel old clutch?) but not entire set.

Keep in mind, not every 'old design' clutch noticeably slips even when pushed.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Keep in mind, not every 'old design' clutch noticeably slips even when pushed.
Not yet anyway, but I suspect those that don't have been babied.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:26 PM

Isn't the old clutch and flywheel combination significantly smaller than the new combo? If so, that would probably keep those parts from being mismatched....

Old 05-14-2016, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Atomic
Isn't the old clutch and flywheel combination significantly smaller than the new combo? If so, that would probably keep those parts from being mismatched....
I don't believe the diameter would be any different, just the spring rates on the clutch plate. From day one, the issue has been with the clutch kit, not the dual-mass flywheel. However, it is possible the new clutch kit may dimensionally require a different flywheel mechanism.

Ratted around today. I think the new clutch might require a bit of seat-in time. It's feeling even better now with 2000 miles on it than when brand new. Friction point is even sharper now.

Uncle Fishbits (05-19-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 03:46 PM

For the record, my car wasn't ready on Friday - as it turns out, the dealer was short by a couple of bolts in getting it all finished up. I took the opportunity to remind them that when the car won't start, they'll need that fuse that I've been pestering them about not having ordered...

Old 05-14-2016, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Atomic
For the record, my car wasn't ready on Friday - as it turns out, the dealer was short by a couple of bolts in getting it all finished up. I took the opportunity to remind them that when the car won't start, they'll need that fuse that I've been pestering them about not having ordered...
On mine, the bolts were also an afterthought and had to be ordered before the clutch could be mounted.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:48 PM

On mine, the bolts were also an afterthought and had to be ordered before the clutch could be mounted.
I paid very close attention to what you reported on when your clutch was finally repaired - the bolts and that fuse were a concern of mine going in and I was sure to mention that both would be needed from the beginning. I've been in one of their F-Type R Convertibles for 11 days now, and I still don't have a definitive date to pick up. I'm sure everyone knows how much the dealers love having their loaners out for extended periods of time.

On a different note, it's been fun driving the R Convertible, but I miss my S coupe!! It's pretty amazing how minute the difference in power is, in spite of the raw horsepower numbers...

Uncle Fishbits (05-19-2016)

Quick Reply: Clutch Satisfaction