F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How does your clutch work on maximum acceleration during a 1st to 2nd gear upshift.
Works well with positive engagement.
33.33%
Not the best, but it's ok.
38.60%
Slips horribly or won't hook up at all.
28.07%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Clutch Satisfaction

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 02:26 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

FCA recalls Jeep Wranglers and Fiat 500s

Maybe Jaguar will publicly admit there's a problem in 2020.

The following users liked this post:
Buckingham (05-20-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Ratted around today. I think the new clutch might require a bit of seat-in time. It's feeling even better now with 2000 miles on it than when brand new. Friction point is even sharper now.
I cannot believe how it feels. It is way more appropriate, and it's a brand new car. It's absolutely like butter, now. Of course, I'm going to have to retrain myself a bit. Lurched off the line when driving away. LOL

It's such a joy. So excited. THANK YOU Lance. They were still a bit mystified, and said it was a weird one.

Another shrimp for the barbie, or more commonly known as "One more invoice that has this repair covered by warranty"

I put the silly "Approved" stamp to cover info, but looks appropriate. I've no problem uploading a clean one if needed.

It's so good... beyond joyous... to have it back and feeling so proper. Words aren't going to do a thing here. Driving it will. BYE for now!!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Jag MT Warranty invoice.pdf (180.6 KB, 223 views)

Last edited by Uncle Fishbits; 05-19-2016 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:39 AM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

I've read through this entire thread a few times. My VIN is 28089 which is very close to the latest VIN to report this clutch problem (ie 28011).

I haven't been driving my car that hard so I'm not sure whether I even have this slippage issue. I've checked out Youtube to see how to test for slippage -- the suggestion is to get to 4th at a lower speed and then floor it to see if the RPMs on the tachometer can keep up with the odometer. But I've seen in this thread that you've tested slippage by trying to reproduce the 0-60mph acceleration.

Any suggestions on how to test this out?

Old 05-20-2016, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by bb_sam
I've read through this entire thread a few times. My VIN is 28089 which is very close to the latest VIN to report this clutch problem (ie 28011).

I haven't been driving my car that hard so I'm not sure whether I even have this slippage issue. I've checked out Youtube to see how to test for slippage -- the suggestion is to get to 4th at a lower speed and then floor it to see if the RPMs on the tachometer can keep up with the odometer. But I've seen in this thread that you've tested slippage by trying to reproduce the 0-60mph acceleration.

Either method could cause clutch slippage, but it's more likely you'll see it on a hard launch. At low rpms in 4th, you may not have enough torque to cause slippage. I'd suggest that you try both.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-20-2016 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

dup

Last edited by Unhingd; 05-20-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member

Method number one does not expose the problem on the F-Type. When already fully engaged, the crappy clutch would not slip. Only during an aggressive upshift would the problem be apparent: under full throttle and pedal fully released, the clutch would never hook up right after the shift. (just slip and smoke) Drive the car hard, the way it's meant to be driven, and the problem will be very apparent if it's present.

If you can get the rear wheels to spin shifting into 2nd, your clutch is good. With the bad clutch, it will slip before you spin the tires.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:57 AM

Method number one does not expose the problem on the F-Type. When already fully engaged, the crappy clutch would not slip. Only during an aggressive upshift would the problem be apparent: under full throttle and pedal fully released, the clutch would never hook up right after the shift. (just slip and smoke) Drive the car hard, the way it's meant to be driven, and the problem will be very apparent if it's present.

If you can get the rear wheels to spin shifting into 2nd, your clutch is good. With the bad clutch, it will slip before you spin the tires.
You're exactly right. I tried the first method on the highway this morning and didn't get any slippage. I'm going to try the full throttle method and report back.

Thanks everyone.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:48 PM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

So, that's my old Flywheel - my car has less than 4000 miles on it. This pretty much illustrates the issue with these transmissions. Awful.

Just wanted to give everyone an update on my clutch and flywheel replacement... I picked the car up on Tuesday afternoon and have been doing some rather cautious break-in style driving around town. I'm going to continue to take it easy on the clutch for the next 500 miles or so, but I can already tell a massive difference between the old and new setups. The car now has an instant hookup upon letting the clutch out. no more slipping of any kind. Its now clear to me that the old clutch was actually slipping across the entire RPM range (and my original flywheel's numerous scorch marks tell this tale as well), as even non-aggressive acceleration on the new clutch is quicker, snappier and much more solid. the pedal has also improved dramatically - the friction point is perfect and completely consistent, as opposed to the sort of "floating friction point" of the old clutch. What was a disappointing and rubbery transmission has now been transformed into a proper modern sports car. I've driven some outstanding manual transmissions over the years, but this one is tentatively the best of the bunch. Man, it's like a completely new car!

Old 05-20-2016, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member

+1. One of the best I've experienced. The short shifter should make it sublime.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member

From my dealer... 2 things:

1) They don't actually know the root cause. The parts get sent back to Jaguar engineering for them to inspect and determine the actual failure.

2) I found out about some "goodwill" thing customer service has the power to grant.....

In Goodwill, Jaguar will cover a 1 time repair if the vehicle is outside of warranty. I found out about it because the cust svc rep said "this is all covered by warranty, so don't use your goodwill repair"

Old 05-23-2016, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
From my dealer... 2 things:

1) They don't actually know the root cause. The parts get sent back to Jaguar engineering for them to inspect and determine the actual failure.

2) I found out about some "goodwill" thing customer service has the power to grant.....

In Goodwill, Jaguar will cover a 1 time repair if the vehicle is outside of warranty. I found out about it because the cust svc rep said "this is all covered by warranty, so don't use your goodwill repair"
I'm glad you mentioned this - my dealer had been under the impression that this was being covered as a "good will" repair. After speaking with my rep at Jaguar (who, was fantastic) she confirmed that this was covered under warranty as IS NOT a good will repair. For those of you who are trying to get this repair taken care of, make sure that it's being covered this way. You definitely want that good will repair to be available down the road on the off chance that something strange and expensive happens.

Uncle Fishbits (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
The dealer may not know, but JLR certainly does, otherwise they would not have updated the part numbers.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:06 AM

I mentioned this in my last post, but I wanted to expand on how fantastic my customer service rep at Jaguar was throughout this entire process. She made frequent and appropriately timed follow-up calls to me throughout the process, she was knowledgeable, friendly and, above all else, made me feel like Jaguar really did give a damn about my satisfaction on this issue. She has, since the repair was completed, continued to follow up with me to ensure that I'm happy with the clutch. In all honesty, I don't think that my clutch and flywheel would have been replaced without her being involved. For those of you who are having issues getting your dealer to take this seriously, I highly recommend placing a call to Jaguar customer service.

The following 2 users liked this post by Atomic:
slipstream (07-16-2020), Uncle Fishbits (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

The dealer may not know, ...
And, you really can't expect them to. They sell so few of the MTs that they can't possibly see a trending issue. For example, RickyJay's dealer has only seen/sold one MT in the past year. Keep in mind that most likely only the two first months of production had the clutch issue. That's only 80 cars nationwide. Because of the enthusiast nature of the option, there are probably more MT owners participating, as a percentage of total MT owners, on this forum than is the case of AT owners. As a result, we are hearing about this far more than the dealers.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Atomic
I highly recommend placing a call to Jaguar customer service.
Thanks everyone for posting here (and for those that I PM'd to properly diagnose the slippage). I'm 100% sure I'm among the group that are affected by the bad clutch. My car was produced in June 2015 -- the first manual transmission production run for Canada.

I've emailed the service manager at the dealership I purchased my vehicle from about this issue and to set up an appointment. I decided to include the two invoices posted on this forum (just to demonstrate that this is a known issue to JLR) and I provided him with a link to this forum.

I just called JLR customer service to open a case number.

Stay tuned.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:43 AM

And, you really can't expect them to. They sell so few of the MTs that they can't possibly see a trending issue. For example, RickyJay's dealer has only seen/sold one MT in the past year.
Just to add to that - my dealer admitted that mine was only the second manual transmission F-Type that they had ever seen. So, I think it's somewhat understandable that they aren't completely up on every single issue the car could potentially have.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks everyone for posting here (and for those that I PM'd to properly diagnose the slippage). I'm 100% sure I'm among the group that are affected by the bad clutch. My car was produced in June 2015 -- the first manual transmission production run for Canada.

I've emailed the service manager at the dealership I purchased my vehicle from about this issue and to set up an appointment. I decided to include the two invoices posted on this forum (just to demonstrate that this is a known issue to JLR) and I provided him with a link to this forum.

I just called JLR customer service to open a case number.

Stay tuned.
Make certain that they order the clutch part number on Uncle Fishbits' invoice and not that listed on mine. Mine was ordered before the part number was even entered into the billing system, so they had to use the old number for billing purposes to JLR.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

It would be surprising (as well as inexcusable) if the old parts could still be ordered.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
It would be surprising (as well as inexcusable) if the old parts could still be ordered.
Certainly inexcusable, but given inappropriate badges and sills showing up on cars, it should no longer be surprising. It takes little to double check.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

Certainly inexcusable, but given inappropriate badges and sills showing up on cars, it should no longer be surprising. It takes little to double check.
Yeah... didn't we see an R badge on an S or something, but not a driver mod, but a mistake from the factory? LOL I did see the "R" badges available on Amazon. Not sure why you would want to fake badge your car.... Jag fans would immediately know, and no one else would care or notice.

Also... I know you had mentioned that fact about the new part vs the part number they used on the invoice.... but thanks for mentioning that again! Glad I post my invoice then. I don't have to have my name and vin "stamped" out, so if anyone needs the real invoice unaltered.. let me know!

Quick Reply: Clutch Satisfaction