F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How does your clutch work on maximum acceleration during a 1st to 2nd gear upshift.
Works well with positive engagement.
33.33%
Not the best, but it's ok.
38.60%
Slips horribly or won't hook up at all.
28.07%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Clutch Satisfaction

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Yes, surprising. I can understand an occasional rogue worker grabbing the wrong part, but to not update a parts supply chain system by immediately removing known defective parts is another matter.

The incorrect side sills and R badge on wrong cars were legit parts in the catalog.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:56 AM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

Update:

I was at my dealership this morning to do a test drive with the tech manager in the service dept. I kind of figured we were off to a bad start when he said he wasn't a fan of forums like this one -- given the individual nuances of each car and the issues that may contribute to what looks like a pattern but may not be. While that may be true, having a community of people that share the same experiences can't be all that bad, eh?

Back to the test drive --> I drove first:

. I went on the highway and pulled to the side of the onramp
. I then tried to reproduce the 0-60 test -- pushed the car hard
. I didn't see any significant slippage on that 'test' but noticed slight slippage on the tachometer. The tech felt nothing and indicated it seemed to be performing well/fine.

I pulled off the highway and went to a more industrial area -- and the Tech took over driving:

. he was driving the car with a lot of short shifts. I didn't know whether he was just driving to an area when he could push it -- because I mentioned that's when the slippage is noticed the most -- but he wasn't....
. eventually he said he couldn't feel any issues and was preparing to return to the dealership.
. I told him he hadn't actually pushed the car yet -- with a 0-60 test.
. we found a straight away and he pushed it -- he did not notice any slippage

Ultimately, he concluded:
. there is nothing that he sees to suggest that my clutch has a problem
. as such he couldn't make a recommendation to replace it under warranty
. he did review the invoices from the two replacements spoken about in this thread -- he tried to suggest that there are a number of reasons why JLR would change part numbers -- it doesn't necessarily mean that the part itself changed (and even if it did, a new number would be issued if a new supplier provided the same part).
. I was a bit confused by this -- why not actually find out if the manual transmission was actually changed versus dealing with hypotheticals -- it either has or has not changed and there should be a reason that JLR could provide
. he noted that there were no service bulletins identifying a problem with the clutch
. he indicated that if there was significant slippage, there would be an error code that would identify the issue (???). I did note that none of the other replacements noted on this board indicated an error code. He couldn't speak to the other cases but noted that some dealerships would replace the clutch based on the word of the driver (ie without having even driven the car). I challenged this assertion because all of the posters on this board indicated there was a test drive prior to the replacement.
. at the end of our drive, I mentioned that my experience with the clutch was significantly different from my last car (a G37 IPL manual) and I provided an example -- ie the fact that the clutch has always been soft, that you can pull up on the clutch in first without stalling, and the burning smell I get periodically. He suggested that the fact that the car doesn't stall in first is actually what most manufacturers strive for -- that's a sign that the RPMs at idle are properly matched with the clutch. I didn't push the issue but mentioned that I've never seen that on any manual transmission I've driven.

He did suggest that I take the car to the track to push the car and see if the slippage becomes worse / more noticeable. I mentioned that it was frustrating that in order to get service I would either have to reproduce the slippage in front of the tech OR generate a fault code. Otherwise, there was nothing that could be done. Don't get me wrong, I don't blame the tech -- if he can't see a problem, he can't order a replacement. But if the first production clutch is inferior, it is annoying to know that there is now a better performing MT for this car .....

SO, bottom line. The tech is going to call the dealership that did SinF's replacement -- since they're also in Canada. Also, the next time the regional tech manager is in the area, he's going to call me to have that tech check it out.

Any observations/input?

Old 05-27-2016, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Fault code? Bullshit. This is not a computer controlled component like the AT. The only wire going to the transmission is for the backup lights and I think that goes to the shifter tail.

Old 05-27-2016, 03:03 PM
Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Yeah, I got the "fault code" line from the Jag folks in Plano. I let it slide because I knew that if I can get a sure fire way to reproduce it, i have confidence they will fix it.

Orkney

Old 05-27-2016, 03:43 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Eco mode also knows when it is in gear and when the clutch is engaged so there must be more than one contact.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Buckingham
Eco mode also knows when it is in gear and when the clutch is engaged so there must be more than one contact.
Perhaps, but I can't imagine a sensor that would tell you that a clutch is slipping.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:43 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

It's called the BS transducer. Mechanics use it on women all the time. Like charging for elbow grease.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bb_sam
Any observations/input?
I know many might not find this solution to be acceptable, but before my dealer acquiesced, I was ready to pull the trigger on a $1300 custom built clutch and whatever labor costs to have my tuner do the swap. I decided to give it one last shot with the dealer and it paid off because the new shop tech was a street racer.

You have 2 options:
1. buy a new flywheel and clutch from the dealer at a much lower cost than the custom I was considering and have them or a performance shop change it out at your expense, or
2. Now that you know they have the right solution, drive the snot out of the car with constant power shifting to burn out the clutch entirely, forcing them to replace under warranty. Given your situation, that's what I would be doing.

Last edited by Unhingd; 05-27-2016 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckingham
It's called the BS transducer. Mechanics use it on women all the time. Like charging for elbow grease.
I stopped going to our mini dealer when a mechanic tried to sell her top line tires for what were nearly brand new tires. So unethical. Ugh.

But, to be fair, my experience-

A) I got no "code" line, but they mentioned the computer will show signs of slippage. That is when the tech mentioned the cars are just computers on wheels and can measure if you farted in the car. He wasn't using BS, at least in no way felt like it.

B) my repair rep guy who handled it at the dealer said he was a car fan, forums are of great value, and a great tool for them in researching stuff. He basically said "why would a good dealer be threatened by them?". We did talk about entitled hot head know it alls who armchair diagnose, who impatiently come in, etc. But as long as customers know they sort of have to go through a bureaucratic and methodical process...

Old 05-28-2016, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
I got no "code" line, but they mentioned the computer will show signs of slippage.
I can assure you that I was experiencing massive slippage and the tech was able to keep ~2000rpm mismatch going with foot off the clutch pedal right after the shift. No code. I can certainly imagine slippage on the AT or torque converter would throw a code. Keep in mind, these dealers hardly ever see any MTs. They wouldn't know about MT issues if they came up and bit them in the butt, unless their techs are performance savvy.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I can assure you that I was experiencing massive slippage and the tech was able to keep ~2000rpm mismatch going with foot off the clutch pedal right after the shift. No code. I can certainly imagine slippage on the AT or torque converter would throw a code. Keep in mind, these dealers hardly ever see any MTs. They wouldn't know about MT issues if they came up and bit them in the butt, unless their techs are performance savvy.
+1 The population of techs with MT experience is rapidly shrinking at dealership service departments. Some may have none.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:44 PM

2. Now that you know they have the right solution, drive the snot out of the car with constant power shifting to burn out the clutch entirely, forcing them to replace under warranty. Given your situation, that's what I would be doing.
Ironically, this is kind of what the tech told me to do. He asked me if I tracked the car. I actually haven't (I got delivery in August 2015 and never had a chance to go before the winter). So, he even recommended pushing the car at the track to see if the slippage gets worse or more easily reproducible. I planned to bring the car to the track anyway so now I have an official JLR sanctioned reason to do so.

Old 05-28-2016, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

I was thinking of some track time either last weekend or middle of next month, but it looks like neither

At least the amended estimate was approved, so part can get ordered. Maybe by the time I get my car back the clutch situation will be more solidly established.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
+1 The population of techs with MT experience is rapidly shrinking at dealership service departments. Some may have none.
Good comment Unhinged, good point Foosh. Things change, don't they? I work in hospitality, started in F&B. A chef friend said he was telling a young kid to plate an appetizer "at 2 o'clock". The kid was confused, and it took a minute to realize the younger cook had never read an analog clock.

Same thing (sort of) with techs in service with manuals.... Man, am I older than I thought I would be at this age.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:17 PM

So, I have this brilliant idea of trying to arrange a test drive of a 2017 MT F-type to see if I can feel the difference between the new clutch and my old clutch. I head over to the dealership only to find out that the salesperson has the 2017 in the showroom and wants me to drive the 2016 F-type (it has 434 KMs and appears to be brand new even though it's a 'demo'). I figure that the 2016 was produced later in the model year because it arrived (so says the salesman) with the 2017.

I drive around and notice no difference at all between the clutch.

On my way out of the car, I snap a pic of the VIN sticker on the door sill -- I later zoom in on the pic -- Date of Manufacture June 2015 .... ARRRRRGGGG!! It's the same production run as my car - the same crappy clutch....

Experiment failed

Old 06-03-2016, 03:34 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Wow, 2 MTs. I failed to notice if my dealer had any while I was there yesterday, though their website says they have a 2016 coupe.

Old 06-03-2016, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
Wow, 2 MTs. I failed to notice if my dealer had any while I was there yesterday, though their website says they have a 2016 coupe.
I legitimately was considering the 2017 V6S MT -- I think the limited slip differential would be helpful in the winter. The salesguy accidentally quoted me with the 2016 incentives -- pricing was INSANE -- ended up being only $30 more per month versus my existing 2016 base lease. BUT, he later emailed to say he made a mistake -- the 2017 discounts and financing rates are not nearly as good as the 2016.

I suspect they won't sell the MT's easily. Could be that in the fall, I'll be able to get the 2017 at the price he originally quoted.

There is a very small group of us freaks who actually want the MT....

Old 06-03-2016, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bb_sam
There is a very small group of us freaks who actually want the MT....
+1.

The following users liked this post:
slipstream (07-16-2020)
Old 06-03-2016, 08:57 PM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

+1.
Which, of course, means that we now are in possession of last of their kind collectors cars...

Old 06-03-2016, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Atomic
Which, of course, means that we now are in possession of last of their kind collectors cars...
Well...at a production rate of 3-400 cars per year, they will remain relatively rare even if they stay in production for a few more years. (but nobody will know how to drive them by then)

Quick Reply: Clutch Satisfaction