F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How does your clutch work on maximum acceleration during a 1st to 2nd gear upshift.
Works well with positive engagement.
33.33%
Not the best, but it's ok.
38.60%
Slips horribly or won't hook up at all.
28.07%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Clutch Satisfaction

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 09:15 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Which gen clutch do you have, 1, 2 or 3?
So what's the difference between the three generations?

Old 07-05-2017, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by spindoc
So what's the difference between the three generations?
Gen 1 was a piece of crap and was in production for only 3 or 4 months before they realized that it would slip horrendously right after gear changes.
Gen 2 (at least on my car) seems to be holding just fine even with a 25% increase in torque.
Why they felt compelled to transition to a Gen 3, I have no clue.
The only way one would know what Gen they have is if they had the clutch replaced and have a replacement part number to cite.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Mine got bad enough that I couldn't go anywhere. Well, almost anywhere. I got it to the dealer today. They'll be checking it tomorrow (I didn't have an appointment).

Old 07-10-2017, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Mine got bad enough that I couldn't go anywhere. Well, almost anywhere. I got it to the dealer today. They'll be checking it tomorrow (I didn't have an appointment).
You still working with the factory installed clutch?

Old 07-10-2017, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member

You still working with the factory installed clutch?
Allow me to refresh your memory ;^)

Sounds like the pressure plate is about ready to toss in the towel. Which gen clutch do you have, 1, 2 or 3?
Based on production date, I think we decided long ago that it's a Gen 1. It's an early production car, delivered in July 2015
What is the part number of the clutch you currently have on the car (gen 2 or gen 3)?
Whatever the factory installed. Given the manufacture date, I thought I had Gen 1. It hasn't 'sploded yet though, so I don't really know.
oh...I thought you had yours swapped out. You should bellyache about it to the dealer and get a righteous clutch. Tell them it's been slipping since day one.
I've complained every time I've been in, but 99.9% of the time it works fine, even if I hammer it.
That 99.9% inverted to 0.1%. When I got to the dealer today I demonstrated that I could not put it into gear while stopped with the engine running. They were also treated to the not-so-delicate aroma of slow-roasted clutch.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:20 PM
Received 114 Likes on 79 Posts

Allow me to refresh your memory ;^)

That 99.9% inverted to 0.1%. When I got to the dealer today I demonstrated that I could not put it into gear while stopped with the engine running. They were also treated to the not-so-delicate aroma of slow-roasted clutch.
you are in for a treat. The updated clutch will be like being handed a new car!

Old 07-10-2017, 11:25 PM
Received 72 Likes on 27 Posts
The following 3 users liked this post by Canadairjet:
mbelanger (07-11-2017), SinF (07-11-2017), slipstream (07-16-2020)
Old 07-11-2017, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member

Allow me to refresh your memory ;^).
So...how many times do I have to tell you to go get your damned clutch fixed? lol.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

So...how many times do I have to tell you to go get your damned clutch fixed? lol.
Clearly, he likes getting punished and withholding. Otherwise why wait so long to change your faulty clutch to a much better one?

Old 07-11-2017, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member

At least one more time :/

I've been telling my service adviser since I first brought the car in to the service department.

Originally Posted by SinF
Clearly, he likes getting punished and withholding. Otherwise why wait so long to change your faulty clutch to a much better one?

There's an alternate explanation. Until I get them to admit it's faulty, the replacement would be out of *my* pocket.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member

In that case you have two issues - faulty dealership and faulty clutch. Replace both.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
In that case you have two issues - faulty dealership and faulty clutch. Replace both.
The clutch has been faulty since the beginning, but was behaving under normal use. I can't blame the dealer for not replacing something that checks OK. It's bad enough now that it should be obvious. I'm just waiting for the technician's next test drive. This morning I think he was going easy, and the dragging issue wasn't showing. Frustrating to me. I don't want to wait until I'm stranded to have proof positive.

I've spent many years on that side of the counter, so am not going to throw a hissy-fit.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:57 PM
Received 114 Likes on 79 Posts

The clutch has been faulty since the beginning, but was behaving under normal use. I can't blame the dealer for not replacing something that checks OK. It's bad enough now that it should be obvious. I'm just waiting for the technician's next test drive. This morning I think he was going easy, and the dragging issue wasn't showing. Frustrating to me. I don't want to wait until I'm stranded to have proof positive.

I've spent many years on that side of the counter, so am not going to throw a hissy-fit.
no hissy fit necessary. When I went to my dealer he put the tech in the passenger seat and told me to show him. When I was done we were both hacking from the smoke emitting from the car. " you need a new clutch!' Done.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stwsam
no hissy fit necessary. When I went to my dealer he put the tech in the passenger seat and told me to show him. When I was done we were both hacking from the smoke emitting from the car. " you need a new clutch!' Done.
My tech owned an MT C6 Z06 and knew how to use a clutch. He had my F-Type billowing smoke at the first shift. Not counting the Ford Mondeo, old Jag mechanics haven't seen a manual tranny in 50 years, much less driven one.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member

I am very lucky to have good dealership with a gear head and ex-racer manager. My conversation with him was along the following lines:

Me: "Now that the car broken-in, I took it to the track. The clutch slipped like crazy. I did internet search, here is work order and parts numbers for replacement parts. Can you please fix this as I purchased the car with specific purpose in mind and it is not up for it right now."

Him: "Hmn. Lets go for a drive. Do you mind if I push the car a bit?"

Me: "Go nuts."

Him: Drives aggressively, clutch slips and stinks.

Him: "I see the problem. We will sort it out. Your car is the first MT for our dealership, so please be patient with us while we work on this issue. We will clear the fix with JLR, but the parts will have to be shipped from UK. This might take couple weeks."

About 2 weeks later I had a new clutch. They had the car for 2 days, as they had to order additional fasteners or somesuch.

Last edited by SinF; 07-12-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member

My tech owned an MT C6 Z06 and knew how to use a clutch. He had my F-Type billowing smoke at the first shift. Not counting the Ford Mondeo, old Jag mechanics haven't seen a manual tranny in 50 years, much less driven one.
My car is very popular with techs. I know from odo that it gets more than usual amount of diagnostic drives. I really don't mind.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:19 PM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I wrote to unhinged, I'm a new owner with an firesand '16 Ftype being delivered in 2 weeks. Build date was December 2014 with a stock number of 20803. I'll be very curious what clutch this has as it looks like it is much earlier than the problems on this forum. Has anyone had any experience with Jaguar dealers in Seattle when it comes to clutch repair/replacement if it is needed?

Old 07-13-2017, 01:20 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

If you're getting it from a dealer, they should be able to look up the service history, since clutch work would have been warranty, performed at a dealership.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:35 PM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

It has the original clutch/flywheel. I'm just curious if it will be plagued with the same issues or if they were different as well.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by whatisthatsound
It has the original clutch/flywheel. I'm just curious if it will be plagued with the same issues or if they were different as well.
seeing as you have one of the earliest Vin numbers with a manual transmission, you know doubt have the first generation clutch. However, if you are not experiencing clutch slippage during aggressive acceleration from first gear into second , you won't be able to convince them to replace it at this point.

Quick Reply: Clutch Satisfaction