F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How does your clutch work on maximum acceleration during a 1st to 2nd gear upshift.
Works well with positive engagement.
33.33%
Not the best, but it's ok.
38.60%
Slips horribly or won't hook up at all.
28.07%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Clutch Satisfaction

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by mbelanger
I had just hoped I was beyond the 1st gen since most of the afflicted VIN's were under the 30xxx point.

I did find the post with the part numbers...likely won't need it since I have had the good fortune of having a relationship with a service manager who also races. Am hoping he takes me at my word and orders the parts and just tells me to bring it in when the parts arrive...alternately, he will have me come in, hop in the passenger seat and have me replicate the condition.
If he races, let him do the test drive and encourage him to get on it. One shift and he'll feel/see the problem.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:28 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

So it went in this morning...was not thrilled about having to drive in the rain, but it was the day we had agreed upon. They've put me in an F-Pace for the time being...

Apparently is also subject to one of the campaigns related to the O2 sensors, so hoping I don't lose my snap, crackle and pop in the process. That one caught me by surprise since, well, like the clutch, I thought I was beyond the afflicted VIN's (in fact, I AM outside of the K309 range, albeit just barely).

Since it is there, I am ponying up to have the oil changed on my dime. What is in there is more than two years old and I took delivery a little over five weeks ago with it sitting at just over 300 miles. I would rather pay and have peace of mind given that I keep my vehicles until well over 200K miles (in most instances).

Sadly, they have to confirm the slippage before they could order the parts...we also quickly figured out the lot jockeys cannot drive a stick even after he hollered to them as I got out that "it's a stick" LOL. His comment to me as we sat inside and heard them struggle was "oh well, we're putting a new clutch in it anyhow."

The following users liked this post:
slipstream (07-16-2020)
Old 12-09-2017, 09:42 AM

Got the call late yesterday that it was almost done...they were still finishing the oil change that I wanted done for peace of mind. But since it was close enough to the end of the day and I didn't want to fight Houston traffic over there (and back to the office since I still had a few hours of stuff to do), they were good with getting it this morning.

Definite difference on the clutch. Not the difference I had anticipated on engagement off the line like some described and it still has somewhat of a soft 'feel' to it. However, I DON'T have the slipping anymore, and THAT is the critical thing here

Receipt reads: "Clutch slipping Verified Concern, Test drove vehicle, Found Vehicle Clutch Slipping. Removed Transmission, Replaced Clutch Material and Pressure Plate. Test Drove Vehicle, No Problem After Repairs."

Parts they list are:
T2R27466 Clutch
T4N1299 Pin (2)
T4N1300 Pin (1)
WP Warranty Part

Edited to add that, looking back at the earlier posts with part numbers, this clutch appears to be a 4th Generation item.

Also, am a little curious about no new flywheel, but I guess it is possible that since I discovered the problem almost immediately and the 2600 miles I had put on being mostly highway miles, there was not much glazing or other damage that necessitated new flywheel.

Last edited by mbelanger; 12-09-2017 at 09:51 AM.
SinF (12-18-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 09:38 AM

Having had time to actually focus on the car on my way home, I am NOT happy with the manner in which things were put back together.

I am not sure how much of the interior came out specifically for the clutch compared to some of the other stuff, but I have trim that is NOT back in place properly. But more critically, the shifter knob no longer is flush with the boot and there is slop in the gates that did not exist previously.

Complicating matters further is that, despite instructions NOT to wash the car, they apparently did and also sprayed crap that has the feel of armor-all in the interior. This has RUINED the extended leather package with which the car was equipped.

Unfortunately, my service guy was not in yesterday, so I cannot speak to him until tomorrow (Monday), but it is clear that the car is going back. I have a feeling this is going to be costly one way or the other.

When I took the car in, I had just rolled over 2900 miles, roughly 2600 of which I had put on since it was delivered to me a little over a month ago. It still had the 'new car' aroma to it and everything was tight, like a new vehicle is SUPPOSED to be. It no longer is tight in the interior nor do I even have the good leather smell greeting me when I open the door. In the span of a few days, this has gone from a vehicle that I loved to one that literally has me in tears and sick to my stomach.

Old 12-10-2017, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

The only interior pieces that need to be removed for a clutch change is the shift knob, boot and stick. To correct the boot alignment, push down on the top of the boot as far as it will go (about 1/2"), use your palm to smack down the knob as far as it will go and then lift back up on the top of the boot while keeping downward pressure on the knob. It should all snap into place. If it doesn't, they cracked the plastic retaining ring in the top of the boot which will need to be replaced.

As far as the gating issue, I suspect that they failed to reinsert the nylon bushing in the bottom of the stick where it attaches to the shift rod on the shifter rail.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by mbelanger
I loved to one that literally has me in tears and sick to my stomach.
At what point is a new car not new to you? Just curious?

Old 12-11-2017, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
At what point is a new car not new to you? Just curious?
Not sure I really understand the question. But this is a vehicle that had not even had the first payment come due. It was a never titled and never before put into service vehicle.

To have an interior ruined by idiots is inexcusable. It is bad enough that most of their lot jockeys cannot even drive a manual transmission vehicle (I am sure that there are more than three Jaguars in Houston that have manual transmissions...they have seen all three of mine that had a clutch through the years). But to have fit and finish damaged through carelessness is something for which there is no excuse and there is no proper remedy aside from gutting the affected interior parts and having someone competent replace them.

This would be appalling if it were two or three years post-delivery, but when they cannot return something from warranty service in the same interior condition as they took it in...let's put it this way- the way some talk about being dinged at lease turn-in inspections, this car would now be costing me a lot of money due to the interior damage.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member

Doesn't matter how old the car...if the dealer mucks it up, I make them fix it. 2 years ago my dealer put a small scratch on the door of my '02 MINI, and just two weeks ago they returned it to me with broken exterior trim clips. Both times they gladly fixed to retain my business and their reputation. To me, that car is still new. (Now my '90 pickup and '76 Land Cruiser are each just a hair past their prime).

Old 12-12-2017, 07:40 AM
Received 114 Likes on 79 Posts

A car becomes old when you want a new car.. Stuff happens, things clean up. When people die, that is a problem, the rest will buff out!

Old 12-12-2017, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Doesn't matter how old the car...if the dealer mucks it up, I make them fix it. 2 years ago my dealer put a small scratch on the door of my '02 MINI, and just two weeks ago they returned it to me with broken exterior trim clips. Both times they gladly fixed to retain my business and their reputation. To me, that car is still new. (Now my '90 pickup and '76 Land Cruiser are each just a hair past their prime).

This is a great point, in deference to the other owner's concerns. But, I've just not dealt with crappy dealers. At a tire shop, they dropped a jack on the rear quarter panel of my wife's Mini Cooper, and they already had it in the body shop before telling me. Other times, I had dealers tell me about a scratch while they were fixing it, etc. So I've not dealt with shady business. I consider myself lucky. Between 1990 and 2005 it was because of community recommendations, great mechanics. Since then, social media reviews have greatly helped.

MBalanger I feel your pain.

I guess the question gets reversed, when does a crappy dealership think a car is not new? Whatever it takes them to save money.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:59 PM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

Has anyone ever experienced a squeaky clutch after a cold day outside? With winter upon us here in Toronto, I noticed that when my 2018 R-Dynamic is parked outside in the cold, there is a squeaking noise at the top of the clutch release. Is this something that WD40 can solve or should I just be going to the dealership?

Old 12-13-2017, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member

With a little foot pressure on the pedal, or fully released. If the former, it's a bad throw-out bearing. Dealer issue.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member

Ok...some interesting info:
Clutches
Generation part # Retail Price
1 T2R18945 $ 819
2 T2R21165 $ 1131
3 T2R25681 $ 1053
4 T2R27466 $ 517

SinF (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Generation part # Retail Price
1 T2R18945 $ 819
2 T2R21165 $ 1131
3 T2R25681 $ 1053
4 T2R27466 $ 517
Should we read anything into this? Especially reports that 4th gen is possibly clutch-only fix and does not require updated flywheel.

Last edited by SinF; 12-18-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
Should we read anything into this? Especially reports that 4th gen is possibly clutch-only fix and does not require updated flywheel.
Maybe. Plus, for that price, it may just be the clutch disc without the pressure plate.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:11 PM

Maybe. Plus, for that price, it may just be the clutch disc without the pressure plate.
The work order on mine listed only the clutch part number, but then again, I had relatively few miles on mine. Flywheel was resurfaced according to my service manager...

I asked about pressure plate and he got interrupted by a call and we never got back to the question. Work order had shown removal/replacement of both clutch and pressure plate but with the prices shown here, I cannot see that it is a combo package. Not sure if they would have evaluated and determined that pressure plate was still good since it had next to no miles/use. I went in at less than 3K miles, and of that, 305 were on the car when I got it and another ~800 were from two trips. Rest is the ~110 mile round trip home to work, mostly at speed.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member

The work order on mine listed only the clutch part number, but then again, I had relatively few miles on mine. Flywheel was resurfaced according to my service manager...
I suggest documenting everything, as your dealer didn't follow the procedure. Clutch fix calls for installing an updated fly wheel. Not sure what the difference, and if your flywheel was fine/would work - but if anything fails down the road you have a strong case to make them fix it under warranty.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member

Recently I had to look into gearbox fluids, here is what I found.

F-type MT is ZF s6-45. According to manufacturer (https://aftermarket.zf.com/remotemed...e-ml-11-en.pdf) it takes Pentosin FFL-3 fluid.

According to spare part number of vehicle manufacturer:
- Pentosin FFL-3
=> BMW Oil No. 8322 2167 666 (MTF-LT-5)
=> Daimler Oil No. A 002 989 04 03 (Getriebeöl ET)
=> JLR Oil No. GX73-M1R564-AA
However, it isn't clear what viscosity of this fluid is. One source (http://www.ons-industry.com/pdf/pent...ct_2009_03.pdf) lists it as SAE 75W. Pentosin spec is here (http://www.pentosin.net/specsheets/T...2017_COLOR.pdf), however converting this to SAE is beyond my ability.

I sent my MT (not a factory fill) for oil for analysis, and the lab states it isn't SAE 75W, but close to SAE 30. Workshop manual states to use T2R17199 fluid, and that what is in the gearbox.

Blackstone report on T2R17199:
SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 57.0
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 9.36
Anyone has numbers on factory fill?

---

This leaves a lot of unanswered questions.

Q1: Does T2R17199 meets FFL-3 spec? If not, then we will soon have a lot of gearbox failures as people change factory fills.

Q2: Is FFL-3 SAE 75W or 30W?

Q3: Is there alternative fluid for extreme applications that would prolong life of ZF gearbox?

Last edited by SinF; 05-18-2018 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
Q1: Does T2R17199 meets FFL-3 spec? If not, then we will soon have a lot of gearbox failures as people change factory fills.
SinF, the Blackstone result (9.54 cSt @ 100degC) is actually a hair heavier than the Pentosin FFL-3 (7 cST = 7 mm2/s) which meets the GX73-M1R564-AA specs required by Jag.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CRP-116_Pento_FFL3.pdf (141.6 KB, 94 views)

Last edited by Unhingd; 05-18-2018 at 09:19 AM.
SinF (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member

See: https://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/pentosin-ffl-3.html

Note the following statement:

Furthermore, PENTOSIN FFL-3 has been exclusively approved for ZF S6-35/ S6-45 manual transmissions, which are utilized by automakers such as BMW, Mercedes Benz and Jaguar Land Rover. To warrant the perfect functioning of the transmissions, PENTOSIN FFL-3 must not be blended for use with other transmission oils.

SinF (05-18-2018)

Quick Reply: Clutch Satisfaction