F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How does your clutch work on maximum acceleration during a 1st to 2nd gear upshift.
Works well with positive engagement.
33.33%
Not the best, but it's ok.
38.60%
Slips horribly or won't hook up at all.
28.07%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Clutch Satisfaction

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2022, 03:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup. Just got a 2017 yesterday. And I just learned allllll about this! Dang. I was trying to drive it like one of the many Mustangs I've had and yeah....that's not happening. Gotta granny shift. LEt the stupid slow release valve thing do it and a allow the pressure plate to clamp down on the clutch and then I can stamp it. But yeah.....that's pretty lame. Make's me look like a noob. I can drive this sports car hard. Only has 18K miles. At first I thought jeez. Person who owned this before me can't drive stick for shyt! haha. I'm looking for a clutch kit to get this thing swapped out and I found your tips, Unhingd, for drilling/pulling out that valve thing very helpful and will do that when I pull the tranny.

Old 11-26-2022, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by BONESTOCK
Yup. Just got a 2017 yesterday. And I just learned allllll about this! Dang. I was trying to drive it like one of the many Mustangs I've had and yeah....that's not happening. Gotta granny shift. LEt the stupid slow release valve thing do it and a allow the pressure plate to clamp down on the clutch and then I can stamp it. But yeah.....that's pretty lame. Make's me look like a noob. I can drive this sports car hard. Only has 18K miles. At first I thought jeez. Person who owned this before me can't drive stick for shyt! haha. I'm looking for a clutch kit to get this thing swapped out and I found your tips, Unhingd, for drilling/pulling out that valve thing very helpful and will do that when I pull the tranny.
As I recall, the delay valve removal didn't help him much but perhaps he'll chime in. I think the delay is very slight and mostly to reduce the shock a little. The biggest problem was the Gen 1 clutch and dual-mass flywheel. I'm not sure what's in your 2017. I can't remember when Gen1 was replaced with Gen2, but Gen2 was quickly replaced with Gen3. Some reports indicated the Gen2 transmitted too much shock to the driveline and ate differentials. I'm on either Gen3 or Gen4 now. I'm not certain, but the original Gen1 would both slip and drag, depending on its mood and where the parts that came loose found themselves.

I almost always drive in TracDSC mode. Full DSC either cuts power or uses rear brakes when slippage is detected and I'm not keen on that. I do drive with some mechanical sympathy for the clutch and gearbox, and am generally easy on them and not so easy on the engine. That is, I generally wait until the clutch is fully engaged before full throttle and I don't slam the shifter between gears. If I were looking to hoon like a kid in a Mustang I'd have bought a Mustang.

Old 11-27-2022, 08:59 AM
Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

@BONESTOCK Congrats on your 2017 manual, I picked my BRG coupe up a year ago, and it has been a great ride so far (except for the slipping clutch).
It sounds like we both have the same situation, a Gen1 Dual Mass Flywheel, and maybe Gen2 friction disk and pressure plate that slips at moderate to high RPM/Torque shifting.
As @lizzardo pointed out, the delay valve is probably not the issue here.
I have also adapted to the same driving style as Steve/Lizzardo mentioned. Tempered and paced to the characteristics of the car's clutch and flywheel.

Clutch Kit:
That being said, you can read up on my quest to develop a single mass flywheel solution with clutch from a Porsche/Audi application that can handle 400 ft lbs.
F-Type Clutch Replacement Options

Update:
This new single mass flywheel will use a flex plate from an F-Type automatic car... as it features the unique Jaguar starter ring gear and tone/timing teeth that the engine needs.
The flywheel will probably be machined from aluminum, with replaceable steel friction surfaces. Count on a healthy weight reduction from stock, and a lower rotational inertia.
The clutch kit (Friction Disk and Pressure Plate) will probably be from a Porsche 996-987 application and will be a simple clutch, NOT an auto adjusting clutch.
The T/O bearing will be the stock Jaguar part number, and the bolts for flywheel and pressure plate will also be stock Jaguar.
Initial price estimates point to less than $2500 for the whole kit.

Dynamic Stability Control Settings:
I find that the DSC ON mode is fine for around town driving (and for snow/rain/mud season here in Vermont).
I like the TracDSC mode, especially for track days, as it allows for some amount of "play" without risking total loss of grip.
The DSC OFF mode allows me to be silly and spin the car at Autocross events.. not my favorite feeling.

Herman

Last edited by HermanWiegman; 11-27-2022 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-11-2022, 05:38 PM
Received 89 Likes on 51 Posts

The clutch on my 2017 disintegrated and I got the new gen 2 flywheel and gen 4 clutch installed. As many have noted, shifts much nicer now.

I got the original parts from the dealer and I'm posting pictures of those parts with all the numbers I could find on them. I did not find markings that looked like the T2R... part numbers, but I'm hoping these numbers might be helpful to others trying to figure out what gen parts when into their cars based on comparing VINs and build dates.

Build date 04/2016, VIN ending 38705

The following users liked this post:
HermanWiegman (10-18-2023)