F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How does your clutch work on maximum acceleration during a 1st to 2nd gear upshift.
Works well with positive engagement.
33.33%
Not the best, but it's ok.
38.60%
Slips horribly or won't hook up at all.
28.07%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Clutch Satisfaction

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 05:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by MagnumPI
Guess who is stranded on the side of the road in the middle of BFE unable to get the transmission in or out of gear, and the car won't start?
Sounds like you blew up the pressure plate spring assembly. Congratulations: been there, done that! Make certain they install the right part numbers and don't pull the old crappy parts out of inventory:

New part numbers:

Flywheel - T2R20968
Clutch - T2R21165

Last edited by Unhingd; 04-03-2016 at 05:54 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Atomic (05-06-2016), MagnumPI (04-04-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 08:32 AM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

27821 delivered in August 2015. I hardly notice the clutch delay anymore. Perhaps I've just adapted to it. I would have to drive another MT car if I could find one.

Old 04-03-2016, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Buckingham
27821 delivered in August 2015. I hardly notice the clutch delay anymore. Perhaps I've just adapted to it. I would have to drive another MT car if I could find one.
Have tried the clutch on a full acceleration launch to 60mph?

Old 04-03-2016, 10:11 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
That sounds like rhetorical question. Bad luck. How BFE is BFE? And unable to get in or out of gear? I hope we get the full story once your safe at home.
Yeah, I finally made it.
I was down around Bakersfield and getting ready to head up to my dad's, outside of town. And just before losing cell signal the shift get progressively harder. 2 is a little stiff(was it in my head?). Nope. 3rd is real tough. 4, 5, 6 real hard so I give it a few miles and pull out of 6th and it doesn't go back into gear. Not 6, 5, 4, 3 it's shut out nothing doing.

So, I coast to a stop, find a turnout in the oilfields about 5 miles from town and cut the engine. Try to re-start and it gives an awful clank, clank, clank sound and doesn't catch. Freed something up, got it in gear but won't come back out again. Starts but obviously can't drive. Kill it, yank it with both hands back to neutral and call roadside assistance.

Hour or two later, some poor tow truck driver gets the call to take it all the way to San Jose(he actually waited til the next morning, parked it at the tow yard. It got here around noon).

Can't wait to hear from the... fine folks... at the dealership and tell them something along the lines of 'I told you so'. Got to drive a Fiesta with a cockeyed steering wheel for 5 hours, that was fun. About 4700 miles on the car, I believe, at failure.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:42 AM
Veteran Member

Try to re-start and it gives an awful clank, clank, clank sound and doesn't catch. Freed something up, got it in gear but won't come back out again. Starts but obviously can't drive.
When the pressure plate springs blew apart, one of them probably got lodged between the starter pinion and the flywheel ring gear. Since they'll replace the whole flywheel, the ring gear won't be an issue, but make certain they inspect the starter gear carefully.

Confirm that they are ordering the right parts (see post 81 above)

Oh.....and get ready to wait for the parts. Contacting JLR Customer Service directly for their assistance in expediting the parts seems to help.

My sincerest condolences to you.

It is now clear, they really need to do a recall on that clutch assembly.

Last edited by Unhingd; 04-04-2016 at 12:45 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Atomic (05-06-2016), MagnumPI (04-04-2016), SinF (04-04-2016), Uncle Fishbits (04-04-2016)
Old 04-04-2016, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
It is now clear, they really need to do a recall on that clutch assembly.
Seriously. What if I'd made it 15 miles up the road, in the hills? Crowded 4-lane freeway?

And this is why I raised so much hell with Jaguar, with the dealer. But it was just herp derp, take it to the dealer. Here's the number if you'd like to talk to someone about it. Like customer service is just a disgruntled car owners hotline. Dealer says doy, shift slower. What a joke.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:25 PM

I try to accelerate to 80 as fast as I can when I get on the freeway. But I don't give it full throttle until I feel the clutch is fully engaged in first. After that, it's full throttle as fast as I can get off the clutch in every other gear.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (04-04-2016)
Old 04-04-2016, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Buckingham
I try to accelerate to 80 as fast as I can when I get on the freeway. But I don't give it full throttle until I feel the clutch is fully engaged in first. After that, it's full throttle as fast as I can get off the clutch in every other gear.
I can't give it full throttle until full engagement on gears 1, 2 and 3. Haven't tried full launch shift to 4th yet since redline in 3rd is at 105mph.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Angry Arrrrgh!

Bolts came in, clutch and tranny back in...won't start! "Depress clutch before starting" light stays on. It's been elevated to Jag tech support. How difficult is it to figure out that you didn't bleed the clutch hydraulic system properly?

Last edited by Unhingd; 04-04-2016 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:16 PM

Bolts came in, clutch and tranny back in...won't start! "Depress clutch before starting" light stays on. It's been elevated to to Jag tech support. How difficult is it to figure out that you didn't bleed the clutch hydraulic system properly?
I had a performance clutch installed on my TT years back, they actually managed to put the clutch plate in backwards. Even had a sticker on it indicating which side was the front.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by mshedden
Ugh, not a great adverrtisement for the manual if you have to delete the delay valve, change the shifter and have new clutch plate etc fabricated to make it perform close to how it should have been 'out of the box'.
I'm build date June 2015 (6/15)

Man I'm late.... I agree with this thread. "Glad" (to realize I am not totally crazy, not that I am happy for you) to hear people having catch problems... I've seen some pretty odd behavior and weird slippage issues that I didn't fully grasp as related to the clutch beyond the shifting issues. The shift from 1st to 2nd sometimes feels like you are ripping it out of the cat's teeth. lol But the 3rd into 4th, at times, revs really high, then drops back... I'm not as gifted as explaining the car stuff, but going 2nd gear to 75 on a freeway has some weird stuff that happens.

After reading the later pages of this thread, I admit I've not experienced stuff that bad. It's just clunky like a lazy sedan shifter vs a sports car. But, coming from a truck it's totally fine tho, so I can't tell if I am being a pushover. I do identify with your comments, a LOT. I would love it to be fluid.

It is, still, the greatest fun I've ever had with something inanimate. I wouldn't trade this bad manual for a great AT. It makes me sad to think of it as an automatic....

BUT....

I know my dealer owner (he's a neighbor), and they have a real smart tech gearhead there that is a friend of a friend. I will go in and see what they say. There's some "service" they sent a note about, anyway.

Last edited by Uncle Fishbits; 04-04-2016 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
I'm build date June 2015 (6/15)

Man I'm late.... I agree with this thread. "Glad" (to realize I am not totally crazy, not that I am happy for you) to hear people having catch problems... I've seen some pretty odd behavior and weird slippage issues that I didn't fully grasp as related to the clutch beyond the shifting issues. The shift from 1st to 2nd sometimes feels like you are ripping it out of the cat's teeth. lol But the 3rd into 4th, at times, revs really high, then drops back... I'm not as gifted as explaining the car stuff, but going 2nd gear to 75 on a freeway has some weird stuff that happens.

After reading the later pages of this thread, I admit I've not experienced stuff that bad. It's just clunky like a lazy sedan shifter vs a sports car. But, coming from a truck it's totally fine tho, so I can't tell if I am being a pushover. I do identify with your comments, a LOT. I would love it to be fluid.

It is, still, the greatest fun I've ever had with something inanimate. I wouldn't trade this bad manual for a great AT. It makes me sad to think of it as an automatic....

BUT....

I know my dealer owner (he's a neighbor), and they have a real smart tech gearhead there that is a friend of a friend. I will go in and see what they say. There's some "service" they sent a note about, anyway.
Focus on post 81 above when you talk to your service people. Let them know the parts were updated to address the issue. Also make certain they confirm those parts are going into the car before they correct the problem. Others are getting push back on those parts being available for the car as the dealer is saying the updated parts are only available to those with catastrophic failure. MagnumPI certainly meets that criteria, but the rest of us don't. I was just lucky to have a good parts department looking after me.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member

Bolts came in, clutch and tranny back in...won't start! "Depress clutch before starting" light stays on. It's been elevated to Jag tech support. How difficult is it to figure out that you didn't bleed the clutch hydraulic system properly?
Ok...so maybe not something as complicated as bleeding the system. Check the fuse next time!

Getting the car back tomorrow morning after I get some curb rash touched up on the right rear wheel. (That 15mm spacer caught me off guard).

Old 04-05-2016, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Do you plan to break it in or are you going to burn rubber right out of the shop?

I read somewhere about possibly glazing new clutch, but I am not fully understanding how this is possible.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
Do you plan to break it in or are you going to burn rubber right out of the shop?

I read somewhere about possibly glazing new clutch, but I am not fully understanding how this is possible.
I'll probably give it a few hundred miles of moderate driving before I wail on it, but I'm fairly certain my service tech already wailed on it before declaring the problem solved. In testing the old clutch, he was far more unforgiving than I ever was.

Interesting side observation by the service manager: Both previous clutch/flywheel pairs had Volvo stamped on the parts. No such insulting evidence on the new part set.

SinF (04-05-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 02:50 PM

had Volvo stamped on the parts..

Un-effing-believable.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member

Un-effing-believable.
BTW, the original clutch delay valve that I modified has Volvo stamped on it too. The new one I bought to try the modifications on is not marked Volvo.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

They could still be identical parts, but later production runs for JLR aren't stamped "Volvo."

Old 04-05-2016, 04:34 PM

As long as the new parts aren't stamped Ikeda��

Old 04-05-2016, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
They could still be identical parts, but later production runs for JLR aren't stamped "Volvo."
That's certainly the case with the CDV. It is absolutely identical and carries the same part number as the original part. Not so with the clutch and flywheel.

Quick Reply: Clutch Satisfaction