F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How does your clutch work on maximum acceleration during a 1st to 2nd gear upshift.
Works well with positive engagement.
33.33%
Not the best, but it's ok.
38.60%
Slips horribly or won't hook up at all.
28.07%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Clutch Satisfaction

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
Who makes the new parts? Was this just a shortcut until JLR could get the properly engineered parts into the supply chain?
Both the old and new parts were built by Sachs (ZF affiliate). I am guessing your suspicions are dead right. Introduction of the manual was already delayed by 3 months. A delay of an additional 90 days might have diverted a substantial amount of pent up demand to another marque.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (04-07-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
THEY GOT IT RIGHT!
Got the car back this morning. They replaced all the following parts:

Clutch Slave Cylinder JDE32591 (same part #)
Flywheel T2R20968 (new part #)
Clutch T2R18945 (new part #)

Clutch pipe (bleeder & clutch delay valve) JDE27755 (same part #)
6 ea. Bolts T2R15201
Fuse XR853208 (pedal/ignition lockout).

My only concern was that they replaced the clutch pipe, effectively replacing the CDV I removed However, after the test drive, I don't think it will need to be removed again.

My observations:

Before (applies to both sets of previous clutches):
1. Wimpy pedal resistance weaker than any of my previous cars
2. No well defined friction point (more like a broad engagement band)
3. "Engagement band" in upper third of pedal throw.
4. Couldn't apply serious throttle until clutch was fully engaged, otherwise clutch would just slip even with foot off clutch pedal.

After :
1. Moderate to firm pedal resistance (non-serious drivers will whine about it, but feels right for a 400+hp car)
2. Very precise, sharp and noticeable friction point (those new to MTs need not apply).
3. Friction point in lower half of pedal throw (towards the floor)
4. Now only the tires slip shifting through the first three gears.

SOOOO SWEEEET
!

The clutch delay valve does not appear to be detracting from the experience, so I will leave it in place for now.

The only thing missing for the perfect MT is the short-shifter. Fidanza is working on it, but dragging their feet.

Attachment 127813

Signed,
Happy Camper!

That's great. Can't wait to see it at an upcoming C&C or of course enroute to Maine next month.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:19 AM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Congrats! I'm happy to hear the dealership fixed it properly and to your satisfaction!! Thanks for sharing the information.

Unhingd (04-07-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
You're right, and I'm afraid a lot of people are going to be very frustrated and very angry trying to get this done, short of having a car stuck on the side the road.
I am ambivalent, definition of the word. I am overwhelmed excited such that I couldn't even read this thread this morning, but I am so apprehensive.

So.. I know my dealer owner, the service guys seem to enjoy my breezy and patient attitude.

So... I print out this email, I take it to service with that BEAUTIFUL Invoice attached with "WARRANTY" hammered all over the document and say "please, make this easy"????

Is that the plan? What's my move here?

Old 04-07-2016, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
I am ambivalent, definition of the word. I am overwhelmed excited such that I couldn't even read this thread this morning, but I am so apprehensive.

So.. I know my dealer owner, the service guys seem to enjoy my breezy and patient attitude.

So... I print out this email, I take it to service with that BEAUTIFUL Invoice attached with "WARRANTY" hammered all over the document and say "please, make this easy"????

Is that the plan? What's my move here?
Exactly. Explain to them gently that the clutch slips when shifting from one gear to the next higher gear during fast acceleration. Tell them that has never been a problem on any other car you have driven, and you can give them the names of at least 4 others that have had the problem and at least one who has had the problem resolved with the updated parts. Provide them with both the new and old part numbers (posted earlier in the thread). Feel free to show them a copy of my invoice. And then gently tell them that you expect them to fix the problem. Independently register your complaint with JLR customer service and ask them to intercede with your dealer, if the dealer is still balking.

Last edited by Unhingd; 04-07-2016 at 07:09 PM.
Foosh (04-07-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I have parts on order. My dealership stood by the car they sold to me.

Showing them Unhingd invoice helped a great deal.

Foosh (04-07-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Exactly. Explain to them gently that the clutch slips when shifting from one gear to the next higher gear during fast acceleration. Tell them that has never been a problem on any other car you have driven, and you can give them the names of at least 4 others that have had the problem and at least one who has had the problem resolved with the updated parts. Provide them with both the new and old part numbers (posted earlier in the thread). Feel free to show them a copy of my invoice. And then gently tell them that you expect them to fix the problem. Independently register your complaint with JLR customer service and ask them to intercede with your dealer, if the dealer is still balking.
Yes, exactly.

Lance has done virtually all the heavy lifting here by producing all the necessary documentation. The rest is up to each individual to go in with the right attitude, "breezy and patient" as you say, UF. The customer who goes in angry and ready for battle will probably strike out.

However, some must be prepared for the fact that some dealers will just not handle it well no matter what you do. In those cases, it will require finding another dealer who will.

Last edited by Foosh; 04-07-2016 at 09:36 PM.
Unhingd (04-07-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member
Default Update

One week and close to a thousand miles on the new clutch and it has already outlasted the first clutch. All the enhancements noted on my previous posting are still in play, and the all too familiar odor of burnt clutch no longer permeates my garage. What an even greater joy to drive than before. This fix has addressed all the MT shortcomings reported by the trade press except the lengthy and "spongy" shifter throw. (patiently waiting)

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Buckingham (04-13-2016), SinF (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member

Great news!

Old 04-13-2016, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
Great news!
Yes. Not yet conclusive, but certainly promising.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Could you provide more step-by-step information on how you got your clutch to slip?

Old 04-13-2016, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
Could you provide more step-by-step information on how you got your clutch to slip?
PM sent with specifics. Nothing more than a properly executed rapid shift

Old 04-16-2016, 05:45 PM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm now very curious to see if the car has improved 0-60 and other performance specs due to this new and improved clutch....

Old 04-16-2016, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Atomic
I'm now very curious to see if the car has improved 0-60 and other performance specs due to this new and improved clutch....
With the old clutch, there is no way the Jag specified 0-60 time could be replicated. Now, at least that's possible, but without taking the car to a strip, there's no way to confirm that. Might do that in the next few weeks.

SinF (04-17-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

I'm nowhere near as versed as Lance on this stuff, so I really was having trouble isolating how much of this clutch may have been me coming off a truck vs what may be happening to the clutch. I would say 75% of the time, getting onto the freeway, it slips when going from 20-30 to 65-70.

But, in Marin County, the onramp from Sausalito to Highway 101 N off the Golden Gate Bridge, there is a hell of a grade on the onramp, and it is literally a dead stop 0mph to 70-80mph.
https://goo.gl/maps/PnG1VTfLZNU2

I had to take that onramp twice this weekend, and I swear to god I thought my engine had exploded. First was fine, I move quick into two and it felt like it gripped, but obviously didn't because on my way to 3rd it's red lining, through 4th red lining, and no traction, slowing down.... until I downshift back into 3rd and it grips with a wallop, and I basically have zero momentum with cars driving up to my rear at least at 60mph.

It was as scary an experience as I've had, and it is factual that this clutch needs to be repaired under warranty as it is a liability to this great engine. It's insane.

Hope to head over this afternoon with this thread printed, and hope it goes smoothly.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member

Fishbits, absolutely no doubt you've got the Volvo clutch. The dealer should not resist in any way as they get fully reimbursed for the repair. Again, when they replace the clutch and flywheel, make certain they're using the right part numbers:
Flywheel - T2R20968
Clutch - T2R21165

Last edited by Unhingd; 04-18-2016 at 07:25 PM.
slipstream (07-16-2020)
Old 04-20-2016, 08:50 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Biggest flywheel I've ever seen...

Old 04-20-2016, 08:52 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Also, there's an inspection grommet that, theoretically, if you did want to remove the clip and pull the CDV tube entirely to mod on the bench, that would be possible with some long needle nose pliers and some skill.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

I had been really babying the clutch because it wasn't up to sporting standards, but have been retraining myself to drive like I should instead of with kid gloves (kid driving shoes? I think I might want a pair of those.) It's nowhere near as bad as Lance's in terms of slippage, but much more GT than Sports. I will continue to point this out each time I talk to the dealer, and if it fails, the record is there.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I had been really babying the clutch because it wasn't up to sporting standards, but have been retraining myself to drive like I should instead of with kid gloves (kid driving shoes? I think I might want a pair of those.) It's nowhere near as bad as Lance's in terms of slippage, but much more GT than Sports. I will continue to point this out each time I talk to the dealer, and if it fails, the record is there.
By all means, drive it as a sports car should be driven. Let the parts fail and get it taken care of as soon as possible.

Quick Reply: Clutch Satisfaction