F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comfortable For Long Road Trips ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 01:26 PM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

I did a One-way 1000 mile trip when we first traded in C7 Corvette & picked up my R vert.
Excellent ride, pretty quiet for a vert, good freeway gas mileage.
Set suspension in normal mode for softer ride.
Didn't realize until after we got home that I realized that this F-type didn't have non-flat tires. Glad we didn't have to inflate tires, or got stranded in the middle of Texas dessert in 100 degrees heat.
Now I just drive around in big city, no more than 60 miles from home.
For long out of town trips, we take my wife's Jag XJ, with full-size spare tire, & the cooled & massage seats are awesome....

The following users liked this post:
David Meier (07-27-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 01:35 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
I guess I will need to do a freeway road test on an F Type before I buy, excessive road noise (with the windows up and exhaust closed for just cruising) may be a deal breaker.
IME, the road surface has far more impact on road noise than car or tyre choice. In the area I live, the road noise from my PZs can vary from deafening to silent in a few miles.

Old 07-27-2020, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

Side Note: I get astonishingly good gas mileage with mine on road trips when I'm chewing up the freeway. The twisties...that's another story.

Old 07-27-2020, 01:51 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by eeeeek
Side Note: I get astonishingly good gas mileage with mine on road trips when I'm chewing up the freeway. The twisties...that's another story.
Good to know the car isn't wasted on you!

Old 07-27-2020, 02:12 PM
Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm on my second F-Type S, first was a 2017 Convertible, new one is a 2017 Coupe, both equipped virtually identically. Performance seats in both. Two years ago, my brother and I spent 21 days in the convertible on a 4,500+ mile trip to visit relatives in Texas. We each had an overnight bag, two fly rods and a little fishing gear, and not much else. So not a lot of luggage room, but just enough to make the trip. I started in Northern Nevada, picked him up in LA, went through Arizona, New Mexico and on to Texas. Return trip the opposite, but northern route. We were both pleasantly surprised at how comfortable the car was. We never really got tired the whole trip. I'm 5'7" and 180 lbs, he was 5'9" and about the same weight. We split the driving between us. Easy car to drive in standard mode, and very comfortable cruising. I loved the convertible, but residual was too high to purchase at lease end, so found a comparably equipped coupe with VERY low miles, so just bought it. I've only had it a few weeks, but love it even more than the convertible. If you can live with limited luggage space, you can't go wrong with either one for touring. Almost forgot to mention... we drove 75-80 mph most of the time, got a little over 28 mpg overall average for the trip. No complaints there either.

David Meier (07-27-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
IME, the road surface has far more impact on road noise than car or tyre choice. In the area I live, the road noise from my PZs can vary from deafening to silent in a few miles.
Agreed.
We have two main types of road surface here in South Oz, coarse chip "blue metal" (gravel mixed with bitumen) and stone mastic asphalt.
In general, regardless of car or tyres, the coarse chip is noisy as f... and the stone mastic is whisper quiet in comparison.
My Michelin PS4S were fairly quiet when new, much better than the worn P-Zeros the car came with, but now that the PS4S are half worn they seem to be even noisier than I remember the PZs being. But only on the coarse chip where they are loud as f... while on the stone mastic they barely make any noise at all.
We don't have any concrete roads here in South Oz so I can't comment on road/tyre noise on that surface.
All that said I find the F-Type to be an inherently noisy car with most of the noise coming from the rear tyres through the rear wheel arches. My XFR was waaaay quieter, and I have done some research into either spray on or stick on noise deadening material for the rear wheel wells but nothing takes my fancy.

David Meier (07-27-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 04:31 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
All that said I find the F-Type to be an inherently noisy car with most of the noise coming from the rear tyres through the rear wheel arches.
Most of my F-Type's noise comes from the exhausts!