F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compact Spare Tire

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 11:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Compact Spare Tire

I would like to get a compact spare tire for my F-Type. I looked in the accessories brochures and the information is pretty vague. I was hoping someone with the compact spare option could let me know the size. I think it is the 19" compact spare, but I would like to confirm.

I have a 2014 V6 S convertible with the 380mm front discs.

Thanks.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by jv9344
I would like to get a compact spare tire for my F-Type. I looked in the accessories brochures and the information is pretty vague. I was hoping someone with the compact spare option could let me know the size. I think it is the 19" compact spare, but I would like to confirm.

I have a 2014 V6 S convertible with the 380mm front discs.

Thanks.
I do not believe that is possible with the convertible as it's is quite a large spare that consumes pretty much the entirety of the coupe's storage space so it is EXTREMELY unlikely that it would fit in a 'vert

Old 05-29-2018, 12:33 PM
Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ndabunka
I do not believe that is possible with the convertible as it's is quite a large spare that consumes pretty much the entirety of the coupe's storage space so it is EXTREMELY unlikely that it would fit in a 'vert
Top Gear's review of the car [Clarkson] shows a spare tire in the trunk of the convertible

Old 05-29-2018, 12:39 PM

Actually, I do not plan to carry it in the car. I have seen verts with the spare option while shopping, but wasn't sure if they had the 380mm brakes. My F-Type is a weekend cruiser and I am (usually) never more than 100 miles from home. If needed, I would have someone bring it to me from the garage and I could limp the car home.

I have the tire goo and compressor, but I hate to think of having to drag the car onto a rollback in the event of anything other than a puncture. Also, no one in my area is going to have a tire that fits in stock. Seems like a relatively inexpensive item to have on hand in case of emergency.

I used to work at a marina and there was an old adage: Trailers without a spare get twice as many flat tires.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:42 PM

Actually, I do not plan to carry it in the car. I have seen verts with the spare option while shopping, but wasn't sure if they had the 380mm brakes. My F-Type is a weekend cruiser and I am (usually) never more than 100 miles from home. If needed, I would have someone bring it to me from the garage and I could limp the car home.

I have the tire goo and compressor, but I hate to think of having to drag the car onto a rollback in the event of anything other than a puncture. Also, no one in my area is going to have a tire that fits in stock. Seems like a relatively inexpensive item to have on hand in case of emergency.

I used to work at a marina and there was an old adage: Trailers without a spare get twice as many flat tires.
If that's the case, I'd just pick up a full sized 5th wheel to toss in the garage if I were you -- no limping involved in the event of an issue; in event of issue: R&R w/ full-size spare, order replacement tire, go on with life.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:49 PM

I was thinking about that, but what about the front-to-rear size difference? Plus, I really don't want to keep two full size wheels/tires around.

I also figured the compact spare would be easier to store and tote for the less than 40 miles I would ever put on it, on top of being less expensive.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:50 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Right - the mini-spare is/was an option for the vert, but the argument against it, is what do you do with the full-size flat tire? Won't fit in the trunk, not sure if you could get it in the passenger seat, not that you'd want to. Maybe strap it on the trunk with padding under it? Or lock it up by the side of the road.

The following users liked this post:
ndabunka (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 12:56 PM

I was thinking about that, but what about the front-to-rear size difference? Plus, I really don't want to keep two full size wheels/tires around.

I also figured the compact spare would be easier to store and tote for the less than 40 miles I would ever put on it, on top of being less expensive.
uh duh forgot about that, going to make the full size option a challenge...sorry guess the long weekend killed more brain cells than I thought.

I don't need my cars for commuting so I've never owned or carried spare tires, I hate the idea of changing a spare on the side of a highway with cars whipping by -- I've always been a "call AAA and tow it home on a flat bed" kind of guy. When I go on long distance trips, I carry a basic tool kit and a plug kit just in case.

The only time I've gotten a truly inconvenient flat, I was at Niagara Falls with my girlfriend at the time -- no spare and no shops nearby with any right sized tires in stock [even willing to replace all four]. Ended up having AAA tow it to the local Audi dealer who ordered a tire in and replaced it while I took a loaner -- drove the 500 miles home to Boston and came back the following weekend to swap for my car.

Originally Posted by DJS
Right - the mini-spare is/was an option for the vert, but the argument against it, is what do you do with the full-size flat tire? Won't fit in the trunk, not sure if you could get it in the passenger seat, not that you'd want to. Maybe strap it on the trunk with padding under it? Or lock it up by the side of the road.
That's hilarious...are you sure it won't fit in the trunk? I haven't measured but I feel like the trunk is big enough to fit the full size wheel provided the tire has the air let out?

Old 05-29-2018, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 410 Posts

I think your plan is sound. Remember, the full size tire only has to fit in the car when it's flat.

If you've never seen it, check out Clarkson's aforementioned review of the F-Type:

Aside from the entertainment value, it will also confirm that you plan will work (his matches your config), and show you that a spare does (barely) fit into a 'vert. As a side note - his appreciation of the F-Type was genuine enough that he ended up buying a V-6S. (I guess that price issue wasn't that serious a problem after all.)

Last edited by uncheel; 05-29-2018 at 01:01 PM.
ndabunka (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 01:58 PM

I loved Jeremy Clarkson's F-Type review. Although he was a bit dramatic on the truck (boot) size and the ride. I personally don't find the ride to be that harsh at all.

If someone does have the spare, coupe or convertible, and could post the size I would be in your debt. I would really like to confirm if it is even viable with the 380mm brakes.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

A front wheel/tire will fit perfectly fine on either front or rear, though will look a bit strange on the back.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
A front wheel/tire will fit perfectly fine on either front or rear, though will look a bit strange on the back.
Yep, the F-Type OEM 19" wheels fit over the 380 mm front brakes, while other Jag 19" wheels do not.
Also I have read that the factory 19" space saver costs a bundle, a lot more than an OEM 19" wheel and tyre combo.
Then there is the hassle of driving with a space saver fitted - it is skinny and gripless and theoretically limited to 50 mph / 80 km/h.
For all these reasons if you need a spare to store in the garage then you are much better off getting a 19" front OEM full size wheel & tyre combo which matches your existing set.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:17 PM
Received 253 Likes on 171 Posts

The space saver wheel setup will fit in a Vert. Just keep in mind that you will also need a jack and a wheel wrench (19mm). It will work with any of the standard 18, 19 and 20" standard wheel/tire setups.

If you opt to go with a NON jaguar spare setup, make sure it uses the standard Jaguar lug nuts (NOT 60 degrees acorn nuts). You need a wheel that uses MAG FLAT with washer.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:29 AM

Great info, guys. Thanks.

So it looks like I can get either the JLR 19" compact spare or a 19" F-Type factory front wheel and it can be used on the rear in a pinch. And jack/tools of course. I am guessing the 18" JLR compact spare won't fit around the 380mm brakes.

I totally get all the reasons against the compact spare. I would just like to have an option beside a rollback if I am out for a Sunday ride and get a flat that the goo can't handle.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member

Great info, guys. Thanks.

So it looks like I can get either the JLR 19" compact spare or a 19" F-Type factory front wheel and it can be used on the rear in a pinch. And jack/tools of course. I am guessing the 18" JLR compact spare won't fit around the 380mm brakes.

I totally get all the reasons against the compact spare. I would just like to have an option beside a rollback if I am out for a Sunday ride and get a flat that the goo can't handle.
That is correct...18" wheels will not fit around the 380s.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:05 AM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts

The 19 inch spare (space saver alloy rim + fitted tyre) from Jaguar is over 500 UKP ($665) in England and it's likely to be more in the US.

Compact Spare Tire-spare.jpg
(double click on the image to enlarge it)

Although the same space saver is used on several Jaguar models, it is rarely specified by an original F-Type buyer simply because, in the event of a wheel change, the full size wheel cannot be carried in the luggage space.

Graham

Old 05-30-2018, 09:07 AM

skip the spare all together and just carry a few rolls of the magic tape https://sploid.gizmodo.com/a-spare-t...-is-1826415631

ndabunka (10-17-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 410 Posts

Another suggestion (for everyone) - put a plug kit in the car.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

The first thing I did when I got my coupe home was to remove the space saver spare from the boot/trunk/hatch as it takes up way too much room. I can only imagine how bad it is in the 'vert!
I moved the goo kit, pump and scissor jack to the cubby/box underneath, added a puncture (plug) repair kit as well plus a decent lug wrench (I binned the horrible useless stock thing) and a bunch of other tools, and it all fits in the cubby/box with room to spare.
I don't know if the 'vert has the same cubby/box but if it does you might be surprised by how much gear you can fit in it.
Top tip - put two or three microfibre cloths on top of the gear, not only will they come in handy at the side of the road they prevent the gear in the cubby/box from rattling around.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
The first thing I did when I got my coupe home was to remove the space saver spare from the boot/trunk/hatch as it takes up way too much room. I can only imagine how bad it is in the 'vert!
I moved the goo kit, pump and scissor jack to the cubby/box underneath, added a puncture (plug) repair kit as well plus a decent lug wrench (I binned the horrible useless stock thing) and a bunch of other tools, and it all fits in the cubby/box with room to spare.
I don't know if the 'vert has the same cubby/box but if it does you might be surprised by how much gear you can fit in it.
Top tip - put two or three microfibre cloths on top of the gear, not only will they come in handy at the side of the road they prevent the gear in the cubby/box from rattling around.
The pump has a special location in the trunk on the left interior wall near the bulkhead. The elastic band there holds the pump up out of the way. The goo bottle also has a special location just in front of the battery. That will free up more room in your cubby box.

Quick Reply: Compact Spare Tire