F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compared to Aston Martin V12 Vanquish?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 07:32 PM
Received 259 Likes on 149 Posts

After reading all the comments I decided to chime in.

I own almost all of the above, and drive them all summer long. I do not own a Vanquish, but I do have a DB9 GT and a Vantage V12s with the 7 speed dog leg. I also own a XKR-S, F-Type R(RWD) and a P7.

As for style, interior leather and well not to be a snob, but it's an ASTON. Just the smell of that leather when you open the door. Sliding the crystal key into it's slot and the sound of the V12 roar to life ,it's all about luxury and style. Do they perform like the F Type...NO, but they were never suppose to. Astons are about luxury, style and prestige. Folks saying that it's not this or not that...well it was never intended to be this or that ....it is what it is....it's an ASTON.

Is the leather in the F Type as nice as the Aston....nope. Do you get a crystal key....nope Do you get the roar of a V12....nope. You don't get those things because Jaguar is not suppose to be an Aston.

But you do get a great car in the F Type, it's just different. Still a great thrill to drive.

The following 4 users liked this post by zach05855:
Abby's Guy (02-28-2021), giomgio (02-26-2021), Mbourne (02-25-2021), WayneB (02-26-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 09:52 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Zach05855,

Will you adopt me?

The following 2 users liked this post by Lowpass:
Abby's Guy (02-28-2021), giomgio (02-26-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 01:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Originally Posted by George05
Have you ever heard of the word Quality ? Much like buying a box of chocolates. You get what you pay for in other words , skimp you get Cadbury. Then some one gives you a Swiss chocolate, you pay for quality. Jaguar have cut corners since the production of the xk-r ceased production a well know fact . Buy the Aston if you can
A Kia is Cadbury in the automotive world; Jaguar is not. I've owned many V12 Jags so I am fully aware of the attraction of that magnificent engine (and the fact that Jaguar had V12 engines long before Aston discovered that they could adapt the Jaguar design)...as for quality, have you been in a V12 Vanden Plas or its twin, the Daimler Double Six?...the same lovely fragrance of the first-quality Connolly (sadly, now "no longer trading"), the finest walnut inlaid with Peruvian boxwood, the absolute silkiness of the engine...here is one of mine:

So, yes, I know and expect quality in my cars.

The gimmickry of the Aston's crystal start button doesn't make up for the really dreadful ergonomics, or the door panels that look to have been designed by a committee. And it is absurd to even think that Aston Martins are more reliable than Jaguars...I don't think it is a "well known fact" that Jaguar has cut corners...My F-Type, while quite different from my XK - one being a sports car and the other being a GT - is just as well built, equally beautiful, and a heck of lot more engaging to drive. The leather (Premium Nappa, extended leather package) is everywhere - door panels, dash, console trim, headliner, complete seat trim front and back, and it is butter soft, just the way it is in the Vanden Plas, the paint is mirror smooth everywhere, the performance and handling are superb...and it is eye candy. Absolutely classic lines:

Is the Aston beautiful and luxurious? Yes, without any question. Would I own one? Well, I have considered it but have always been brought down to earth by examining the luxurious but awkward interiors, and especially the maintenance costs. In other words, from my point of view, "you don't get what you pay for" in an Aston unless what you want to pay for is rarity and prestige. That is not to say that others should not find Aston ownership entirely sensible.

Last edited by sov211; 02-26-2021 at 11:23 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by sov211:
Abby's Guy (02-28-2021), Mbourne (02-26-2021), scm (02-26-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 04:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

Yeah I tend to think a well specced F Type is pretty close to equal to the XK in interior quality. Sound system far better, extended leather pack not quite the acreage of the XKR, but pretty close, some of the nicer interior finishes are XKR quality. I agree the Aston interiors are a bit awkward, in fact I decided on the F Type after considering moving from my XKR to a DB9. I cant get past the Aston centre stack, it looks like someone giving birth to a 1980's Akai stereo system. They are still persevering with that arrangement now.

Not to say I dont like Astons, my fantasy car is a red dbs superleggara.

Old 02-26-2021, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by zach05855
...Sliding the crystal key into it's slot ...

... Do you get a crystal key.....
On many Astons, you can replace the word 'Crystal' with VOLVO.

Old 02-26-2021, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Munky
I put the Jag down as an Aston want-to-be...
It's funny. My neighbor has a V8 Vantage 6M and often invites me to do things with his A-M group. There isn't a single first owner in the group. When I was at a Cars and Coffee I saw one of the guys and chatted him up a bit. He had a v12 Vanquish that he's had for a few years and was telling me who the first owner was, what he paid, etc. We started walking around the lot and he saw a black F-Type. He looked at it, and with a little disdain said "there's one of those wanna be Astons." I didn't say anything as we walked around and found another A-M in the parking lot. He finally asked where my car was and I replied "it's the wanna be we passed earlier."

Weeks earlier I was at a Euro Sunday after dropping someone off at the airport and was a good half hour before anyone else arrived. I parked in a real good spot and it turned out to be where the 'vette owners liked to line up. The first to come in parked right next to me with the last of the front engine ZR1s. We talked a bit and I commented on what a rare and great car he had. As I was talking, other Corvette owners arrived and one came up to us, pointe dat my car and asked the guy I was talking to how the "Ferrari" owner felt to be showed up by him. It took me a moment to figure out that he thought my F-Type was a Ferrari. I can kind of see it as the F12 looks similar, but all the Jaguar badging does lead one to believe it might not be a Ferrari. Anyway, I chuckled and said "the Jaguar owner takes it as a compliment that you think his car is a Ferrari."

In either case, I could have had the car they were representing, be it a 17 year old Aston Martin or a new Corvette. I don't understand why people get so cult like into their cars that they feel their choice is the only correct one. You want a Corvette? Fine, there are plenty to choose from and just because they are common doesn't mean they aren't fun or a good value. You'd prefer an Aston Martin? I totally get it. There is an allure to them and they are something epic. I went with the F-Type because it checked all my boxes. It wasn't a compromise. Have I even thought "Gee, I would really like an Aston Martin?" Absolutely. That doesn't mean I regret my purchase, though.

Long story long, The F-Type isn't an Aston Martin. It isn't a Corvette. There are many cars that are better values and there are many cars that do the job better. It kind of doesn't make sense, but it's the perfect car for me. People don't buy cars like these because they are sensible. Ultimately, it is more than just a car for me. I overextended myself because I knew I had an attachment to this car. It reminded me of previous cars that I had sold and regretted. It felt like correcting mistakes.

Anyway, this has been one hell of a tangent. I'm going to remote start my car right now just to hear it.

The following 6 users liked this post by eeeeek:
Abby's Guy (02-28-2021), Canardsj (03-02-2021), Dwight Frye (02-27-2021), giomgio (02-26-2021), Mr_Persnickety (03-04-2021), sov211 (02-26-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-26-2021, 11:44 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by eeeeek
I don't understand why people get so cult like into their cars that they feel their choice is the only correct one.
Well, when you realise you've bought the wrong one, you can't admit it, can you?

Old 02-26-2021, 03:16 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

I cannot speak to the V12 Vanquish. I did drive two of the manual tranny AMR Vantages last year. I will readily admit that the twin-turbo V8 is a sweet, sweet thing and I really wish they had figured out how to get that into the F-Type. There were certainly elements of the Aston that I liked. There were also some that surprised me, not the least of which was the hood. It just seemed odd that it was a traditional clamshell after having my flip-forward hoods on the F-Type and the XK8. There were also elements of the interior that seemed more spartan than even the almost 18yo XK8 had to it...

I could not wrap my head around a sticker of almost $200K and the lease option made no sense on multiple levels, including an exorbitant money factor and the low annual mile total. I don't buy vehicles to be a garage queen and 400 or so miles per month just isn't enough...one trip between Austin and Houston and that is pretty much blown.

It was at the same dealership that I found the Lotus that I almost bought for half the money...but that is a completely different animal.

Old 02-26-2021, 07:58 PM
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I’m really happy with mine as it’s a perfect compromise for me.
I kind of wish it didn’t have the Aston vibe, but then again, it’s a truly gorgeous looking car and the AWD sold it for me.
Honestly, other than the Aston resemblance, I think it’s just about perfect (once I fix the poor cpo tires and distorting speakers).

I have made many automotive mistakes in my time. I bought and still have an Ariel Atom as I figured it would be as good as my old Lotus 7 replica. It isn’t due to the engine being in the wrong place. It’s faster, but not as much fun (to my skill set) to drive - still a hoot on the track but not so much on the road. I’ve bought another 7 replica but my son won’t let me sell the Atom.

As for all of the ‘cheap chocolate’ digs at Cadbury, I still miss it. I’m not a fan at all of ‘consumer’ US chocolates! I guess part of it is what you get used too.

Caterham 7 looking clean before I got my grubby hands on it...

Old 02-27-2021, 05:26 AM
Received 115 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by George05
I have one , 2016 car . coming from owning an xkr 5l for 5 years . Test drove the ftype R 5l awd . The Aston is miles better in looks , performance and sound and quality of cabin . Simply miles ahead of the poorly sister ftype
F type blows the AM away in looks. Take a hike. 🙄

Old 02-27-2021, 08:21 AM
Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

I am just a poor guy so I feel blessed to have a Jaguar. It is my only car so therefore I have an XJL as opposed to having an F. I have also sold cars and worked other jobs within the industry and while I think the F is a work of art and would love to have one it is not an Aston Martin. Aston is in a different league from Jaguar and that is a fact of life. I think everybody should be proud and thankful for the privilege of owning a premium car, whatever brand it may be. Aston plays in the league with Ferrari, Lamborghini, and McClaren and Jaguar does not. I worked in a German car dealership and what disgusted me were people who bought a premium car and then proceeded to destroy it and not take care of it.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by eeeeek
On many Astons, you can replace the word 'Crystal' with VOLVO.
You could claim the same on the early F-Type MTs. By then, they hadn't yet buffed out the Volvo name off all the parts.

The following users liked this post:
mbelanger (03-04-2021)
Old 03-04-2021, 01:21 PM
YRS
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

After driving a 911 as a potential first choice, I moved it aside because I wanted more of an "experience"; notwithstanding the Porsche's dynamic advantages. I also took a very hard look at a manual Vantage V8 with 1500 miles, but frankly the Jaguar was simply better aside from quality of materials and of course the stick -- I believe the Vantage was a direct competitor to the Jag, not a different animal at all. I have a colleague with the Maserati in question and he's had zero issues over several years. Frankly, I'd offer your question is really about whether walking away from a true modern Aston Martin classic is a wise choice. Frankly, as much as I like my R Coupe...if your Vanquish makes you smile and isn't leaking money...you might regret moving away from it.

The following users liked this post:
Mr_Persnickety (03-04-2021)