Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Complaint about the new F type

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Pluvrr
That's just simply amazing and hard to believe.
Decide for yourself...
Jaguar Land Rover breaks sales record
The UK-based car maker, owned by Indian steel giant, Tata, said sales had been boosted by strong demand for the new Jaguar F-Type and Range Rover Sport.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:07 PM
Received 77 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by schraderade
Decide for yourself...
Jaguar Land Rover breaks sales record
The UK-based car maker, owned by Indian steel giant, Tata, said sales had been boosted by strong demand for the new Jaguar F-Type and Range Rover Sport.

Don't believe everything they say. If it wasn't for land rover jaguar would have been shut down. The f type isn't doing much either besides sitting on dealer lots being marked down substantially. Land rover sells more range rover sports than jaguar sells in there entire line up combined annually.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:31 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a jag f type convertible
Best car I have owned.

I have an Aston vantage v8. Nice car (I'm selling)
And have had many ferrari's and vettes
Love this car it is a burst of fresh air.

Just adding my 2 cents in. Gene

Old 03-21-2014, 07:03 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Jaguar's issues are simple - the cars are much better than people think they are, and Jaguar doesn't do enough to incentivize sales.

Reliability first. Everyone who sees my car (and especially those who drive it or ride in it) love it. Love it. Pretty much all of them go on to ask if I'm worried about reliability. It seems *everyone* has a Jag story, usually from the distant past, usually not even a car they owned, but it's still impacting their perception of the brand. They love to look, they won't touch. Now - Jaguar reliability is much better than it was, and statistically above average and no worse than many other premium marques. People just don't trust it and don't trust the brand enough to buy. The solution? Extend the warranty. Jaguar should show confidence and offer a five or six bumper to bumper warranty on its cars. The cars are better than they were. Jaguar should take away or reduce the residual and lingering concerns by offering a better warranty. I wouldn't expect it to expose them to anywhere near as much cost as it once would have, and it will help reduce concerns about the brand's reliability.

The other? Jaguar only needs to look at MB and BMW. Their entire business model is built around making fairly expensive cars cheap to buy and, more pertinently, even cheaper to lease. Both brands subvent their leases by artificially inflating residuals and offering very aggressive money factors. The net result - their cars are much easier to acquire than the comparable Jaguar. MB/BMW do this for one reason - to ensure a regular flow of three year old cars that they can flood into the market as a CPO. Anyone who has bought a Jag knows the process is more complex. The deals suck compared to MB/BMW, and for comparably priced cars you'll pay less per month for a BMW than for a Jag. Many of us here may well have purchased our cars, but far, far fewer people can write the check than the number of people that could make the subvented lease payment. Solution - Jaguar need only look at what has driven BMW's success etc and make their cars easier to buy and particularly easier and cheaper to lease. As a data point, BMW itself confirms (on BMWUSA) that more than half the cars it sells (310,000 last year in the US, 375,000 if you include Mini) are leased. Anecdotally, evidence from the dealers who post on Bimmerfest etc would have this percentage at much, much more than half.

More cars in the marketplace is good for us and good for Jaguar. As owners we're not exactly seeing the prices of our cars hold up due to comparative rarity. On that basis, all we can hope for is the brand survives and that JLR can honor our warranty.

These are the two things I feel Jaguar needs to do to increase its sales. Improve the warranty and start offering lease deals that don't suck.

It's not rocket science, and I think it would work.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by russduka
Don't believe everything they say. If it wasn't for land rover jaguar would have been shut down. The f type isn't doing much either besides sitting on dealer lots being marked down substantially. Land rover sells more range rover sports than jaguar sells in there entire line up combined annually.
I think maybe it would be good to start by reading the numbers in the article since they refer to Jaguar models directly rather than Land Rover...

Old 03-22-2014, 01:22 AM
Veteran Member

I don't think Jaguar needs a lot of help.

2 March 2014 - Jaguar Land Rover records sales and profits boom
"JLR had a profit margin of 17.9 per cent, which is likely to be the highest in the car industry. It outstrips even Ferrari’s recently announced 16 per cent margin."

3 March 2014 - Jaguar leads luxury car surge

Some numbers
In North America (Feb): Jaguar sales up 35% (led all major brands in NA), Land Rover up 3%.
Globally (Feb): Jaguar sales up 15%, Land Rover up 13%.
Globally (2014): Jaguar sales up 19%, Land Rover up 13%.

There is, of course, a difference in scale because LR ships many more units than Jag, but this thread is about F-Type sales. Bringing LR into it makes no more sense than bringing Toyota or Ford...
It's possible that there is more inventory than demand at dealers, but that doesn't mean the model isn't doing well. It has been a huge success so far for the business....the growth and profitability numbers attest to that.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:32 AM

I think maybe it would be good to start by reading the numbers in the article since they refer to Jaguar models directly rather than Land Rover...

Land Rover Sold 350,000 cars last year jaguar just 75,000. You are right we need to start looking at numbers... and at 75,000 units annually without land rover they would jaguar would have stopped building cars a few years ago..... Im not saying the f type isn't a great car as I had a demo f type v8s for 3 weeks that was given to me from my dealership. But the convertible sports car market is less than 1% of total auto sales.. Without the XE and the SUV being a success jaguar will not be able to survive.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:56 AM

I don't think Jaguar needs a lot of help.

2 March 2014 - Jaguar Land Rover records sales and profits boom
"JLR had a profit margin of 17.9 per cent, which is likely to be the highest in the car industry. It outstrips even Ferrari’s recently announced 16 per cent margin."

3 March 2014 - Jaguar leads luxury car surge

Some numbers
In North America (Feb): Jaguar sales up 35% (led all major brands in NA), Land Rover up 3%.
Globally (Feb): Jaguar sales up 15%, Land Rover up 13%.
Globally (2014): Jaguar sales up 19%, Land Rover up 13%.

There is, of course, a difference in scale because LR ships many more units than Jag, but this thread is about F-Type sales. Bringing LR into it makes no more sense than bringing Toyota or Ford...
It's possible that there is more inventory than demand at dealers, but that doesn't mean the model isn't doing well. It has been a huge success so far for the business....the growth and profitability numbers attest to that.

Jaguar is doing better... But the scale is very misleading.... And bringing land rover into this is fair. They are the one for the reason for the 17.9% profit you mentioned. The Company Is JLR so I don't get what you mean when you compare to Toyota and Ford , two companies that have no relation. JLR is a single entity. I'm am a fan of jaguar as I have owned 6 cars in the last 4 years. But numbers are numbers, and right now jlr ships 5 land rovers for every 1 jaguar. Jaguar is not a viable company without land rover for last few years.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member

Jaguar is doing better... But the scale is very misleading.... And bringing land rover into this is fair. They are the one for the reason for the 17.9% profit you mentioned. The Company Is JLR so I don't get what you mean when you compare to Toyota and Ford , two companies that have no relation. JLR is a single entity. I'm am a fan of jaguar as I have owned 6 cars in the last 4 years. But numbers are numbers, and right now jlr ships 5 land rovers for every 1 jaguar. Jaguar is not a viable company without land rover for last few years.
I think the pertinent discussion on this thread was about the demand for the F-type, so I guess I don't really get the LR connection. Yes, both companies are related, and jaguar probably does depend on LR for scale. And jaguar/LR depend on Tata for sponsorship and corporate guidance, and Tata depends on its shareholders, signals from automotive competitors and the global economy for scale, financing, direction, supply and demand. Tata also produces many vehicles.

I just figured the numbers of f-type and jaguar sales would be kinda interesting for this thread, that's all

Old 03-22-2014, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member

Without the XE and the SUV being a success jaguar will not be able to survive.
I don't think that's correct.
1. Jaguar is profitable in its own right, and likely more profitable than LR (materials account for 74% of the cost structure of the entire company and SUV's require a lot more material per dollar of revenue than sedans/coupes, and Tata/JLR have called out jaguar growth as a driver of profitability in their investor releases)

2. The two businesses are run relatively separately. Jaguar is is headquartered in Whitley with its main plant in castle vale. LR is headquartered in gaydon with plants in solhill and halewood.

3. The vehicles do not share a lot of common assemblies. Ford made the mistake of trying to common-factor components with jaguar and it was a disaster. The two companies now share a factory in india, but are manufactured across different lines. They run separate marketing P&L's and separate advertising and brand efforts.

4. The key area where jaguar and land rover share resources is in sales and distribution. Here, it is not the case that LR "subsidizes" jag in distribution...the dealership cost structure is shared and mutually beneficial. LR would suffer pro rata if it lost jaguar volume. Jaguar would need to find another distribution partner if it lost LR (and the line of suitors would be out the door given that the combination of growth, profitability, and a halo brand is a rare M&A target in the industry) , but it would be no less profitable.

The two brands are sharing more and more resources going forward, but i think it'd be very hard to argue that this is a subsidy relationship rather than a contribution relationship. it's clear that both brands are worth far more than Tata paid for them in 2008, but it's absolutely not because LR somehow subsidized Jag. Both companies have done very well because of better execution, corporate sponsorship, and emerging market demand, with jaguar delivering better growth and likely slightly better profitability (although it started from a terrible base!)

Last edited by schraderade; 03-22-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the comments that Jaguar suffers from a quality perception overhang from the past. However, I think that the new F Type will bring new Jaguar customers (like myself) into dealerships. The F Type will never be a volume car, much like the higher end models from BMW / MB / Audi, so it will be important to translate the great reception that it has received deeper into the model range. In that respect, the XE will be key. Regardless, the overwhelmingly positive reception for the F type Coupe indicates that the company is headed in the right direction, let's hope that they can keep the momentum going.

Old 03-22-2014, 04:53 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

My brother bought an XF a couple years ago. They haven't had any problems yet I still hear him tell other people that "I've been lucky and must have got one of the good ones. Knock on wood."

Old 04-06-2014, 08:02 PM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

The F-Type's styling didn't grab me, until I saw the coupe. And when I saw one in person at a car show, I immediately placed my order. Funny thing: my XK looks WAYYYY better in person than in pics. You can't just go on photos. And the engine noise? Like it wants to live in Daytona.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Funny, but they are selling all they can make at the current price, believe it or not.

If you don't like it, you can buy something else. Like all cars, the style is not liked by everybody.
How are these cars selling now?

Old 04-10-2014, 03:30 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default F-Type Complaint

My biggest COMPLAINT about the F-Type is......

My wife wants the car all for HERSELF!

Oh well, I can share.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

The F-Type might be new, powerful, luxurious and all sorts of other things.

But it doesn't have that "wow" factor.

If it comes down to modifications, the S2k and Miata have it hands down.

Aftermarket performance equipment for Jaguars is just not available.
It's been that way for all of the predecessor modern Jaguar models.

If you just want to buy it and drive it, then that is immaterial.

If you are an inveterate fiddler, the situation is not so good.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:40 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Retire this thread !

Can't we retire this sour grapes , Miata lovers thread. PLEASE.
Doesn't Mazda have a site for you?
F Type is Awesome !

Old 04-10-2014, 10:06 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
The F-Type might be new, powerful, luxurious and all sorts of other things.

If it comes down to modifications, the S2k and Miata have it hands down.

Aftermarket performance equipment for Jaguars is just not available.
It's been that way for all of the predecessor modern Jaguar models.

If you just want to buy it and drive it, then that is immaterial.

If you are an inveterate fiddler, the situation is not so good.
You know, that's an excellent point. When I was looking at getting my F Type I too was most definitely struggling to choose between my V8S and the multiple Miatas and S2Ks I could have got for the same money. Great insight on the aftermarket parts too. This car would be perfect if only there was more cheap low quality garbage that I could bolt on to ruin the looks and hamper the performance. You might want to pop a call into Jaguar. They've totally missed the boat here as you say, and I'm sure they'll be grateful to you for opening their eyes to what must be an absolutely huge untapped market for folks who just don't feel a 100K car is complete without a spoiler the size of an ironing board duct-taped to the trunk.

Last edited by swajames; 04-10-2014 at 10:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by swajames:
omgomg (04-11-2014), scm (04-22-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 03:57 AM
Veteran Member
Talking

Originally Posted by plums
Link: The 10 Most Beautiful Cars on Sale Today

Somebody fire the magazine editor!!
They left out the Miata and put the F-Type in its place!!!!!!!

Old 04-11-2014, 07:03 AM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

There is no comparison between the cars.

Yep, let us please retire this. It has become ridiculous.

Quick Reply: Complaint about the new F type